android
Old 09-19-2010, 01:52 PM

Default Satisfied with Rockbox on Clip V2 ?

Hello everybody,

I must say, I'm impressed with Rockbox for the Clip:

+Sound Quality seems the same
+Clock (didn't know the Clip could remember time)
+Folder browsing (no PLS needed)
+Gapless play. Even without CUE sheets.
+Speech function
+Acurate Battery measurement with speech when 50% or lower.
(Sometimes I forgot to charge and the clip died on route)
+Themes (Pacman theme rulez)

-Games, Demos and applications are useless.

I'm using the firmware for 2 weeks now and didn't notice any problems? What are you experiences with Rockbox on the Clip?

P.S. It would be great if Rockbox could speak out the names of the Mp3's it is playing. Like the Apple Shuffle.

Grtz,

Maurice

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-19-2010, 02:50 PM

Hi,
I only have clip+ with rockbox.
However I find that the sound quality is a little bit different from the OF. Is that my imagination?
I prefer the sound from the OF in which one can distinguish different instruments more easily. I do not know if that is true

PS: there is the voice choice for RB. Hopefully it helps.
http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/VoiceHowto

Regards

Old 09-19-2010, 02:56 PM
Ultra Senior Member

You should try experimenting with the EQ.

Old 09-19-2010, 04:42 PM

I have installed and uninstalled rocbox a couple times now on my V2. I keep getting abort errors with using different themes. I don't know if it was due to me missing files when copying from my PC into each of the following folders: wps, theme, background, fonts, or due to them being corrupt themes. I don't really like the prepackaged themes in the default RB install, and since the RB utility doesn't work with the V2, it leaves margin for error in manually downloading and moving them over through drag and drop. Not to mention the need for a degree in audio to find the sweet spot for the EQ.

Old 09-19-2010, 04:53 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottGTO View Post
I have installed and uninstalled rocbox a couple times now on my V2. I keep getting abort errors with using different themes. I don't know if it was due to me missing files when copying from my PC into each of the following folders: wps, theme, background, fonts, or due to them being corrupt themes. I don't really like the prepackaged themes in the default RB install, and since the RB utility doesn't work with the V2, it leaves margin for error in manually downloading and moving them over through drag and drop. Not to mention the need for a degree in audio to find the sweet spot for the EQ.
The utility doesn't work? Bummer.
And yeah, there is a learning curve involved with using the EQ...but it is well worth the effort. There are simpler settings for Bass and Treble though....maybe you can find your sound with them?

Old 09-19-2010, 05:01 PM

Hi,

I used the rockbox install utillity, which worked fine.
It does not autodetect the sansa clip, but you can select it manual:

just select which Clip you have and which driveletter it is.

I installed the whole package: fonts, themes etc. with the utillity.
Rockbox is running stable for 2 weeks now, so I have no complaints.
Firmware OF V02.01.35P / Rockbox r27995-100903

However some people change the eq settings. What do you change then to improve/customize the sound? Can you tell me some settings to test?
I use Sony MDR 75EX headphones, which I like a lot. Also I have no sound/buzzing issues at low volumes, like stated on the Rockbox Wiki.

Gr,

Maurice

Last edited by ahamay; 09-19-2010 at 05:07 PM.

Old 09-19-2010, 07:36 PM
Administrator

Quote:
The Rockbox Utility is working fine for me. I just did a complete reinstall after a total wipe. That included the fonts pack and half a dozen themes. The voice files are working OK too.

If your are opening the .Rockbox folder that contains manually downloaded themes and placing the components separately on the player you're working too hard. All you need to do is unzip the theme folder to the root of the player. It has the proper folder structure to place it's components correctly. I'm not sure why the Rockbox Utility isn't doing that for you. The ones I just installed are working just fine.

It's been my experience that data aborts are usually caused by file system errors. You can either use the Windows Error checking utility in the drive properties menu or run chkdsk. I've also found that if I use the SDFormatter on the player before I start to use it I have fewer problems. It won't wipe out the firmware but it will scrub everything else off the player. Be sure to backup before using it.

Old 09-19-2010, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
The Rockbox Utility is working fine for me. I just did a complete reinstall after a total wipe. That included the fonts pack and half a dozen themes. The voice files are working OK too.

If your are opening the .Rockbox folder that contains manually downloaded themes and placing the components separately on the player you're working too hard. All you need to do is unzip the theme folder to the root of the player. It has the proper folder structure to place it's components correctly. I'm not sure why the Rockbox Utility isn't doing that for you. The ones I just installed are working just fine.

It's been my experience that data aborts are usually caused by file system errors. You can either use the Windows Error checking utility in the drive properties menu or run chkdsk. I've also found that if I use the SDFormatter on the player before I start to use it I have fewer problems. It won't wipe out the firmware but it will scrub everything else off the player. Be sure to backup before using it.
Thanks for the suggestions. When I tried using the RB Utility and manually select my device and appropriate drive letter, I receive an error that my firmware is not the right version (newer) than what is supported by the utility (if I remember the error correctly)

Old 09-19-2010, 11:30 PM
Administrator

We are talking about the V2 Clip right? I did my reinstall with the Rockbox Utility ver.1.2.7 and the 02.01.35a firmware. Both of those are the most recent versions and the installation went without a hitch. You may want to be sure that not just the drive letter is correct but also to select the right Clip version.

The newest versions of the V2 Fuze and the Clip+ don't work with the Rockbox Utility but I haven't seen any problem reports with anything but those. The data aborts are still most likely caused by file system errors. I would look into those first. Let us know how it works out.

Old 09-20-2010, 12:02 AM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions. When I tried using the RB Utility and manually select my device and appropriate drive letter, I receive an error that my firmware is not the right version (newer) than what is supported by the utility (if I remember the error correctly)
That just means you have an old copy of rbutil, so assuming this is the clipv2 (or probably any player now), just download an updated copy that supports that firmware version. Or use an older firmware file that it knows how to patch.

Current rbutil should work with any player, except a few newer Clip+ and Fuzev2 players (hopefully it'll be updated this week to work with those).

Old 09-20-2010, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga View Post
That just means you have an old copy of rbutil, so assuming this is the clipv2 (or probably any player now), just download an updated copy that supports that firmware version. Or use an older firmware file that it knows how to patch.

Current rbutil should work with any player, except a few newer Clip+ and Fuzev2 players (hopefully it'll be updated this week to work with those).
Yes it is a brand new Fuze v2 purchased about 2 weeks ago. I'll make note of the exact revisions of the firmware and rbutility to help identify the issue.
Thanks for all your help you guys have been great.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:48 PM
Administrator

You're posting about issues with a Fuze in a Clip subforum. There's probably no need for any research. As both saratoga and I said before the Rockbox Utility doesn't work on the newest V2 Fuze and Clip +.

You'll need to do a manual install if you want to get started immediately. The directions are here. You could wait for the Rockbox Utility to be updated. saratoga has said that should be this week.

Old 09-20-2010, 11:03 PM

Got it thanks!