android
Old 09-30-2010, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
My solution to that is to have my FLACs be my foobar2000 library, but not in my MediaMonkey Gold library....all the lossy files are in the MM library.
Yeah that works, thats what I used to do with iTunes. I've never used anything but iTunes and Winamp though, maybe I'll check out those other apps.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-30-2010, 12:20 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I rip Flac and keep for archival but listen to mp3 at 320. My IEMs (which are for portable use) are better than the speakers on my PC so I dont see the need in complicating my library system. The flac is simply for burning or rencoding as a clean, lossless source. This allows me to store my CDs away and keep them in good condition longer.

Old 09-30-2010, 01:15 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
My solution to that is to have my FLACs be my foobar2000 library, but not in my MediaMonkey Gold library....all the lossy files are in the MM library.
hmmm, yes. that is indeed clever of you Marvin.

I am surprised at your ingenuity!
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 09-30-2010, 01:23 PM

Or you could use Foobar and have different libraries in different tabs.

I have many divisions. . . EAC FLAC, OTHER FLAC, LAME MP3 LIBRARY (selective), TEMP, TEMP 2, TEMP 3.

Old 09-30-2010, 01:35 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Touche, Satellite. Even MORE clever! Didn't realize you could do this. Nice, have just done it myself. It sounds like I use foobar like you do - for me, foobar is my quick, go-to player, the one i use when i want to quickly preview new music. I now have several tabs and a one called NewStuff.

great tip man, thanks!
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 09-30-2010, 01:49 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satellite_6 View Post
Or you could use Foobar and have different libraries in different tabs.

I have many divisions. . . EAC FLAC, OTHER FLAC, LAME MP3 LIBRARY (selective), TEMP, TEMP 2, TEMP 3.
That is also a sensible approach, to be sure. But since I use Mediamonkey Gold to manage my players, and grab my podcasts, my method works for me. I am aware that foobar can be used for those things, but I've been using MMG for so long now to do it that it is just second nature.

I play my FLACs in foobar and check my files/replaygain them with it.

Old 09-30-2010, 02:22 PM

I like foobar b/c of this and the huge EQ (which I actually need believe it or not). It doesn't have balance control tho. so I have to do that with windows. . .

This is basically the only player I use but I also have Winamp b/c of the awesome visualizer.

My ripping/encoding process is more complex. . . involves like 4 programs. . . I think you guys helped me out with that, can't remember who exactly tho.

Old 10-01-2010, 08:26 AM

Well, all those methods are interesting, and multiple backups are always a good thing. So Foobar can also handle different libraries, that's great! But I find it's cool to handle different file formats with separate softwares. I like to know many softwares.

My main concern is that whether you want to drag & drop or sync, does a song must be a precise file. I was thinking of this after a fellow vinzz posted a link for its MP3Sync tool for the Fuze in MSC mode.

For example you want to put the song "Phil Collins - In the air tonight" on your player. You can't "sync" looking for a kind of checksum/date of your mp3 file if you don't keep your mp3 files. Will you get duplicates because it's a new file every time?
  • Do programs like Winamp, MediaMonkey, Foobar compare id3 tags to avoid copying the same music 2 times?
  • How people think their software should handle that issue? Warn you when you copy what seems to be the same music even if it's a different file?
For my music manager I check artist+title+filesize allowing "duplicated" files. Maybe that should be a configuration setting.

Old 10-01-2010, 08:48 AM

I've tried syncing in the past but it always screws up like this and creates redundant files.

So yeah, I'm one of those must have drag and drop guys.

Old 10-01-2010, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetooman View Post
Well, all those methods are interesting, and multiple backups are always a good thing. So Foobar can also handle different libraries, that's great! But I find it's cool to handle different file formats with separate softwares. I like to know many softwares.

My main concern is that whether you want to drag & drop or sync, does a song must be a precise file. I was thinking of this after a fellow vinzz posted a link for its MP3Sync tool for the Fuze in MSC mode.

For example you want to put the song "Phil Collins - In the air tonight" on your player. You can't "sync" looking for a kind of checksum/date of your mp3 file if you don't keep your mp3 files. Will you get duplicates because it's a new file every time?
  • Do programs like Winamp, MediaMonkey, Foobar compare id3 tags to avoid copying the same music 2 times?
  • How people think their software should handle that issue? Warn you when you copy what seems to be the same music even if it's a different file?
For my music manager I check artist+title+filesize allowing "duplicated" files. Maybe that should be a configuration setting.
I don't know how it works, but when I try to transfer a song that's already on my DAP, Winamp just skips it. No duplicates.

Old 10-03-2010, 04:50 PM

So we have to opposite experiences here!

Old 10-03-2010, 08:18 PM

What i can tell you is this what what i hate about Apple & the iPod Touch is that when a new firmware comes out, everything get deleted but what you need to do is this.

Step 1: download 7-zip, that is what you need to make a back up.

Step 2: make a back-up of your song's using 7-zip
Step 3: burn it into a DVD or copy the back-up 7-zip file or song's into a usb flash drive or usb hard drive.
Step 4: upgrade your MP3 player then add the songs back.

*Only if you lost your PC or data you need to do this*
Step 5: Put the burn DVD on your computer & copy back the back-up 7-zip file back to your PC & install 7-zip to unzip it or hook up the usb flash drive or usb hard drive to your PC to copy the back-up 7-zip file or song's.

That plan never fail me before.