android
Old 10-16-2010, 10:17 PM

Default Zen Vision M Stuck in recovery, wont dock, wtf?

I will describe this in as much detail as possible to prevent any un needed posts. I know there are other posts relating to this , but at least from what i read they dont describe my exact situation. I dropped my zen vision M and it went into recovery mode, and has been there ever since. At first it said on the recovery screen that it was docked on my laptop which has vista but it wouldnt actually pop up in my computer. on another computer with XP on it showed up on the computer and was reading the flash drive (50mb) instead of 30 GB hard drive, this computer incidentally does not have internet access. the computer i am on now does have XP but the mp3 player is not showing up, it also doesnt even say it is docked on the player. So because of all this i have not be able to reload the firmware. The clean up feature just says "scanning disk" and it sits there to no end. reboot does nothing but bring me back to the recovery screen. I have not yet formatted, will that make a difference? any...any...any suggestions. Thanks in advance,
Ken.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-17-2010, 07:34 PM
Ultra Senior Member

You dropped the player & it is in rescue/recovery mode. The things you describe points to needing a new hardrive as the one in the player is damaged.

Old 10-17-2010, 09:06 PM

X2 on that coachop94. The ZVM being a HDD player doesn't take kindly to being dropped. You can replace the drive but at this point the player is prolly 2-6 years old and is ripe for replacement. With a new drive and new battery your looking at putting atleast $100 into 6yr old technology.

Old 10-17-2010, 09:26 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by no9 View Post
X2 on that coachop94. The ZVM being a HDD player doesn't take kindly to being dropped. You can replace the drive but at this point the player is prolly 2-6 years old and is ripe for replacement. With a new drive and new battery your looking at putting atleast $100 into 6yr old technology.
Can be done for less than $100 USD http://cgi.ebay.com/Original-Creativ...item5d25225674 http://cgi.ebay.com/1-8-Hitachi-30gb...item53d9710519

Old 10-18-2010, 06:06 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachop94 View Post
Indeed it can, but usually when you don't go with brand new out of the box you end up in the same position you started in except now your pissed and cursing some dude in Iowa for selling you an HDD that went bad within 3 months. There's alot to be said for keeping a ZVM around, and even for dropping a 100gb drive into one. Just that with 64gb players around the corner and players like the Cowon J3 that could be 64gb atm, it would be hard to spend the cash to self refurb an old player. DIY is great, it's just that there's so much out now or coming in the near future that pwns the zvm.

Old 10-18-2010, 09:33 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I like doing DYI & I still think the Zen VM is the best PMP Creative has made to date. It can usually be repaired & upgradable.

Tags
firmware, recovery mode, zen vision m