android
Old 11-04-2010, 05:42 AM

Default Installing Rockbox onto my Clip+.

As the thread title says,I require help on rockboxing my sansa clip+. I don't know where to start. Now that the stable version for the clip+ is out,would someone guide me step by step on what to do? I have tried skimming thru the pages on this forum,but there are just too many I don't know which to refer to!

So far,all I know is that the stable verison can be downloaded here

http://www.rockbox.org/download/

Now what.

Many thanks!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-04-2010, 05:48 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Click on the big yellow button.
Then follow the directions you see here

Old 11-04-2010, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Wow thanks,never thought it would be this easy. Though,which do I choose now,minimal or complete installation? What's the difference?

Edit: Went ahead and clicked Complete,went to the sansa forums and got the latest firmware (.bin). I got the latest one although my clip+ was running the firmware that it came in when i opened the box. That is okay,right?

Cheers!

Last edited by adclancer; 11-04-2010 at 06:11 AM.

Old 11-04-2010, 10:31 AM

minimal doesn't include the font pack and something else i think.

Full includes it.

Old 11-04-2010, 10:52 AM

And yes, you can use the latest one (assuming that the patching utility recognises it as a valid firmware).

Basically, the process of installing the RB bootloader involves completely overwriting the firmware already on the player - what's there now, versus what version you choose to patch, is irrelevant.

The worst thing that's likely to happen is it will refuse to patch, but that won't do any harm to the player.

Old 11-04-2010, 11:50 AM
Administrator

Congratulations on your decision to Rockbox your Clip+. IMO it turns a decent player into an extraordinary music machine. I hope your experience is the same.

It's probably a safe assumption that if you didn't know how to install Rockbox you haven't read the manual. If you haven't yet you should snag a copy.

Rockbox has jillions of setting and methods of performing actions that will be unfamiliar if all you've dealt with is standard DAPs. A big part of unlocking it's potential and getting help if something doesn't work the way you expect is the manual.

The greatest majority of the "It would nice if I could..." questions will be answered right in the manual. I've notice that most people that can help with the rest are much more responsive if you can refer to what you've already tried from the manual that didn't work. They know then what you've tried and can pitch in with some of the more subtle things that the manual isn't very literal about.

Unless you're a real techno geek you probably won't do a cover-to-cover read of the manual. But if something doesn't work the way you expect it's an invaluable resource.

Old 11-04-2010, 11:54 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
A very nice guide--thanks for the link! (Unfortunately, the guide also is very hard to find at the Rockbox site, at least for me, apart from through MM's link. I would think it should be more apparent, for new users.)

The only question I might have is whether the guide is a bit dated (I don't know), last revised over 2 years ago.

But, thanks!

Old 11-04-2010, 11:57 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
Unless you're a real techno geek you probably won't do a cover-to-cover read of the manual. But if something doesn't work the way you expect it's an invaluable resource.
Although I guess I am something of a techno geek, I really find it indispensible to at least skim through the manual--Rockbox has so many options, many of them not apparent, that you miss out on them otherwise. And it really doesn't take long at all to do a skim.

Old 11-04-2010, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
Rockbox has jillions of setting and methods of performing actions that will be unfamiliar if all you've dealt with is standard DAPs. A big part of unlocking it's potential and getting help if something doesn't work the way you expect is the manual.
Skip is prone to exaggeration. I'ts more like five and a half squillion.

Seriously, the advice given is sound - although I haven't actually tried to install that way. This way seems easier to me (it's purely down to personal preference);

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
Installation instructions: Unzip both files, bootloader and firmware, to the root of your Clip+. That's all. The Clip+ has to be in MSC mode, not MTP.
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...29&postcount=1

Old 11-04-2010, 12:29 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confuseling View Post
Skip is prone to exaggeration. I'ts more like five and a half squillion.
Sorry, I divided by zero where I should have multiplied by the square root of infinity. Thanks for the correction.