android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Insignia > Insignia NS-DV

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-05-2010, 06:34 PM

Default How long should these Inisignia MP3 players last?

I consider the NS-DV the greatest MP3 player I ever owned. I'm sure there are better ones out there, but this thing has all the features I could ever want, including bookmarking as I listen to long files (radio shows). Even my $500 goddamn cell phone can't bookmark a track.

Alas, it appears to be dying a slow death. Tracks tend to skip and it's starting to behave erratically at times (not helped by the scroll wheel and play button which are just about to give out).

I have heard of read/write cycles for flash memory, but can we estimate a timeframe for when an MP3 player like this should simply die?

I listen to very large files and transfer just under a gig a week to the device, files which are promptly deleted after I listen to them. The player is on for at least 4-5 hours per day, more if I decide to listen to music. I've also used it while plugged in and connected it to my stereo system just to have music in the background. It gets a lot of heavy use.

My motivation for asking is because I recently left the Best MP3 Player Ever in a classroom accidentally and within an hour it was taken (and not taken to lost and found, unsurprisingly).

So in a way I'm hoping the thing just stops working soon. If someone does try to use it, they would have to buy a new battery anyway. The one that's in there can hardly hold a charge anymore.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]