android
Old 11-15-2010, 06:23 AM

Default Hardwiring Fuze 12v cig charger?

Well i have my gps,radar ect hardwired to a switched 12v in my car so i dont have to deal with wires hanging around. I love it!
My question is can i hardwire my fuze 12v cig charger (done it many times with misc chargers, 0 probs) and leave it plugged in all the time? Keep in mind though it will only be charging it when the car is on. It will only be used in the car. I have a sansa m240 for everthing else.

Will there be any drawbacks to the batteries life?

The main reason i want to do this is so that it turns on/off with the car. I know these fuzes have a very long battery life so its not so much to do with that.

All the accessories i have hardwired start up and turn off with the car.

P.s. I don't have it yet as it will be a xmas present. 12v charger,misc cables will be included w/ the gift.

Thanks for the help guys..

Last edited by sbcaprice305; 11-15-2010 at 07:15 AM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-15-2010, 07:09 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbcaprice305 View Post
The main reason i want to do this is so that it turns on/off with the car.
Not sure that this will work properly. I think that when my Fuze is plugged into a cigarette lighter adapter, it turns on automatically when the car is turned on. However, it does not turn off when the car is turned off. It turns off when the battery runs down.

Steve

Old 11-15-2010, 07:11 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Sounds like it would be an ideal setup for a player with a removable battery, so that it would only run off the car power.

Old 11-15-2010, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Sounds like it would be an ideal setup for a player with a removable battery, so that it would only run off the car power.
Yea...So far though my gps's battery is doing fine. The fuze along with all my other hardwired accessories will be hardwired in every car i own so i dont really think the battery is a huge deal..If i had a really expensive mp3 player i prob wouldn't try it.

Old 11-15-2010, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeZ5 View Post
Not sure that this will work properly. I think that when my Fuze is plugged into a cigarette lighter adapter, it turns on automatically when the car is turned on. However, it does not turn off when the car is turned off. It turns off when the battery runs down.

Steve

Edited my last post to say all my accessories turn off with the car aswell. But even if i can atleast get it to turn on or of by itself would be nice. It doesnt have the best on/off switch.

Old 11-15-2010, 07:54 AM

I think Rockbox's car adapter mode takes care of the Fuze's correct powering on/off sequences.

http://download.rockbox.org/daily/ma...11-1420008.5.5

Quote:
8.5.5 Car Adapter Mode

This option turns On and Off the car ignition auto stop function.

Car Adapter Mode.
When using the player in a car, Car Adapter Mode automatically stops playback on the player when power (i.e. from cigarette lighter power adapter) to the external DC in jack is turned off. If the Car Adapter Mode is set to On, Rockbox will pause playback when the external power off condition is detected. Rockbox will then shutdown the player after the length of time set in the Idle Poweroff setting (see above). If power to the DC in jack is turned back on before the Idle Poweroff function has shut the player off, playback will be resumed 5 seconds after the power is applied. This delay is to allow for the time while the car engine is being started.

Once the player is shut off either manually, or automatically with the Idle Poweroff function, it must be powered up manually to resume playback.

Old 11-15-2010, 10:56 AM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Fuze v1 or v2?

Old 11-15-2010, 12:38 PM

Old 11-15-2010, 04:52 PM

I've had mine hardwired (multi lighter tap under the dash, wired to the fusebox) for a year now and haven't noticed any decrease in battery life. The Fuze doesn't turn off with the key, so you'll have to set a sleep timer or shut it down manually. But it definitely works.

Old 11-16-2010, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhantazm View Post
I've had mine hardwired (multi lighter tap under the dash, wired to the fusebox) for a year now and haven't noticed any decrease in battery life. The Fuze doesn't turn off with the key, so you'll have to set a sleep timer or shut it down manually. But it definitely works.
Cool, so it turns on but i'll have to set a timer to shut it off..I can work with that.
And when i set the timer..Will that timer start when i turn off the car? How would it effect it while the car is on? Would i have to turn it back on?
ex: if im listening to music and dont touch it after startup will it shut off if i set the timer for 5 min even if im still listening to music??

Thanks guys..I'm trying to get a feel for what will be expected.

Old 11-16-2010, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Cool, so it turns on but i'll have to set a timer to shut it off..I can work with that.
And when i set the timer..Will that timer start when i turn off the car? How would it effect it while the car is on? Would i have to turn it back on?
ex: if im listening to music and dont touch it after startup will it shut off if i set the timer for 5 min even if im still listening to music??

The timer is just a sleep timer. So set it for a value that's a little bit longer than your average time driving. Unless I was on a trip or something, I rarely drove longer than 2-3 hours. So I just kept mine set on 2 hours. I've since switched to Rockbox and utilize it's car mode.

Old 11-16-2010, 11:28 AM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:

Read dfkt's post above yours

Old 11-16-2010, 06:06 PM

i saw that but i'm a tard when it comes to adding stuff like that..Really dont want to mess it up..We'll see when i actually get it and i familiarize myself with it.

Old 11-16-2010, 07:51 PM
Samsung Moderator

As to your original question: The battery would love frequent short and modest charging. Lithium technology batteries pretty much only hate being run empty and over charged. If you kept it between 30-70% it would probably work forever (ish).

sassafras

Old 11-18-2010, 03:52 PM

Default I previously hardwired my radar detector to turn on only when the ignition was turned

There is a wire that only has power when the key is in the ignition and turned on. I used that wire to power my radar detector. Both worked on 12V DC.... The other power wire always has juice; this is for the radio's memory--don't use this wire. There's no need for timers or the mp3 always being on draining the battery.

Old 11-18-2010, 06:16 PM

i stated that all my accessories are hooked up to a switched (ign) 12v. I made the mistake when i was younger and tapped a radar into a constant 12v..Wondered why my battery never lasted very long if not drivin for awhile.