android
Old 11-14-2010, 02:41 PM
Ultra Senior Member

How the music "sounds" is so subjective that even if a reviewer did comment about it I'd ignore anything but "Horrible!". I have quite a few players myself and only a couple are so bad at audio output that they deserve mentioning as a warning to others.

Considering the age of the listener, exposure to damaging noise levels in their life, other medical/genetic defiencies, environment they are in, etc, makes such comments barely worth the digital bits they are composed of. JMHO.

Olley

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-14-2010, 04:34 PM

Atleast with android you could theoretically change the default media player program to something that has genre sorting and better sound customization unlike apple which doesn't even allow for a default media player replacement program to be created. This is why I am thinking of getting either a 32 or a 43 to replace my ipod touch 2g which is starting to let me down

Old 11-14-2010, 04:44 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olley View Post
How the music "sounds" is so subjective that even if a reviewer did comment about it I'd ignore anything but "Horrible!". I have quite a few players myself and only a couple are so bad at audio output that they deserve mentioning as a warning to others.
Olley
True, however, I am referring to the SQ as measured with test equipment.

Old 11-14-2010, 05:06 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Heh,...nice review.

Old 11-15-2010, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musichound View Post
True, however, I am referring to the SQ as measured with test equipment.

i guess that's legitimate question...however the new archos devices are supposed to be jack of all trades, akin to the ipod touch, customization is welcomed by everyone, but in my opinion it should not be the "real" kicker, whether or not to get the 43. i'm pretty sure that the sq is "normal" like any other modern mp3/pmp/mid, archos just hasn't got a history of good eq, though (in my experience).

me personally, i probably won't get the archos 43, although i'm interested (€149 for a decent ipod touch rival, is a "real" kicker, imo), because i'm going for a htc phone and am about buying the J3 (once amazon.de has them in stock).

i'm hoping that the prizes fall in a few months, or htc gets a decent mid range android phone out next year. i could live with a wildfire with a display resolution on par with desire, alas they haven't released the aria(gratia in EU) yet and according to sources it may be ridiculously overpriced.

Black Cowon J3 32 GB (Black Ringke Case) - no lousy Sennheiser CX 300 anymore, Pana HJE 900 took the throne... for keeps

Old 11-16-2010, 09:44 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by musichound View Post
I also wonder if it provides gapless playback.
Yes it does gapless. There is also a balance setting.

Old 11-19-2010, 03:58 AM

hey guys: was browsing through the intertubes engadget was talking about 101 being available and i thought, why not look for a 4 review.

http://4dthinker.blogspot.com/2010/1...my-review.html

he comes to a "slightly" () different verdict than Barff, for example.

Black Cowon J3 32 GB (Black Ringke Case) - no lousy Sennheiser CX 300 anymore, Pana HJE 900 took the throne... for keeps

Old 11-19-2010, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadohiosky View Post
hey guys: was browsing through the intertubes engadget was talking about 101 being available and i thought, why not look for a 4 review.

http://4dthinker.blogspot.com/2010/1...my-review.html

he comes to a "slightly" () different verdict than Barff, for example.

yea, i had an argument with him on Archosfans forum, concluded that people need to make their own decisions

Old 11-19-2010, 08:44 AM

I think the best way is to watch people use the devices on Youtube. If you watch about 4 or 5 different reviews you get a good feel for the device.

I think that the 43 looks pretty good for a relatively cheap mp3 player with a lot of extras. I still wish that it was a 5 inch device with a front facing camera and it would have been the best all round option IMO.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:32 AM

If possible, I want to see video review from Barff.I have already asked this in his thread.
Of course, depends if has time to do so.

Old 11-19-2010, 07:15 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Looks like the 70 is the one to get. I like that size better. 10" screens are fine as netbooks, but in my hand the smaller size works better for being lower in weight and yet as powerful as their new 10inch model.

Old 11-20-2010, 12:28 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Is the Archos 70 the one w/the capacitive screen??? If so, I'd say it's the one to get as well.

Old 11-20-2010, 03:16 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yes, the 70 has a capacitive multitouch screen according to Archos. I thought the 101 too did but can't find it in their specs. That would be another reason to stay away from the 101.

Old 11-20-2010, 04:36 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The 70 is the next toy for me then, to go w/my soon to arrive (hopefully) myTouch 4G. Thanks Olley.

Old 11-20-2010, 06:00 PM

The 70 is a little too wide to stick in a pocket on my motorcycle so I may still go with the 43 as a music player.

Old 11-21-2010, 04:34 AM

both, the 70 and 101, have capacitative screens, it would be inconsistent to give the 70 a cap. and omit it on the 101

https://store.archos.com/archos-inte...et-p-5005.html

you can't find it under the specs but the shopping page states it.

Old 12-23-2010, 12:42 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I have the 70 8gb model now. Comparing it to Archos previous Archos 7 Home, they've come a long way baby! I don't mind not having multitouch on the smaller 32 I have. There is barely room for one finger on the screen at a time anyway. On the 70 you get 2-finger multitouch, and that little addition makes a big difference in apps that use it. The Photo app in particular, gets two-finger pinch/spread for smooth zooming in on details. With no multitouch the gen8 devices have the same "usual" tap-to-zoom (all the way in) or 4 to 5 tap magnifier to full 1:1 screen resolution.

Two fingers also work in the web browser, and now there is no difference I can see between this and Safari on the ipad. The e-book apps should employ 2-finger zoom, but none seem to. I wouldn't use it to zoom in on text, but rather to smoothly enlarge the font while watching it re-flow on the screen.

Old 04-07-2011, 11:37 AM

I dont like the A43's resistive screen, other than that I like it pretty well.

Old 04-07-2011, 11:16 PM

Location: Pennsylvania, United States of America(but always Saint Andrews, Scotland, United Kingdom), Earth, S

The 70 is a little to big for my taste as a pmp. But the 43 is a great size and I'm considering it for my next pmp.

Old 04-09-2011, 12:13 PM

i'm also considering getting this. it does seem a bit of a jack of all trades but the form-factor and size that is still manageable. i dont want to bust out a huge tablet to accomplish things. i basically want a tiny computer/media player, and this actually seems to be the only good thing like that besides a smart phone (no thanks data plan) or itouch (no thanks apple), which is the size i desire and has android. and the price is pretty great.

i read mixed reviews on its ability to do tv-out though. which i'm hoping is mostly from people who are really picky. cause i would love to use this is as a portable media pc.

one thing that has me hesitating though is the very rapid deployment this month of new internet tablets, from all kinds of manufacturers. including archos themselves. this could make buyer's remorse pretty instantaneous.