android
Old 11-20-2010, 06:02 PM

Default Handling of artwork in Mp3s

I'm going to be buying a Fuze to be used mostly in the gym. I currently have an iPod Nano 2G. With the iPod and iTunes it's pretty much required to embed cover art in the individual Mp3 files. Is it also required with the Fuze, or can you use a separate cover.jpg or folder.jpg file in the album folder?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-20-2010, 11:28 PM

Nobody knows?

I was just reading in another thread that Rockbox _only_ supports the use of separate image files and doesn't support embedded artwork at all. Which is what I prefer anyway, but I'm not sure whether or not I'll be using Rockbox.

How does the stock Fuze software do it?

Old 11-21-2010, 07:12 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Carson:

The Fuze supports both folder.jpg artwork and also embedded artwork. Which one you choose depends on how you organize your music.

I personally have many DAPs throughout the years and my entire 16k music library uses embedded artwork [500x500px around 50-75k file size each]. This is because:
- I like it that way
- I do not use the Artist/Album folder hierarchy to organize my music [my music lives in subfolders like this: E:\Music, E:\Music\0-9, E:\Music\A-D, etc, etc...

Yes, Rockbox on Fuze does not support embedded art - this is the only thing about Rockbox that I do not like. However, the benefits from Rockbox are incalculable if you want: the best EQ around, a completely customizable interface, zillions of features [90% of which you might never use or only use sparingly]...still, RB is incredible provided you know what you want and what RB can give you.

The stock Fuze firmware is simply adaquate - nothing to write home about. But it is good enough for people to use.

Because Rockbox does not support embedded artwork is not the end of the story. There are several awesome applets which will automatically extract your embedded artwork and create the files/folder structure on your Fuze so that RB can read separate jpg art files. The one I use is Rockbox Album Art Extractor - see here:
http://vcardenasblog.blogspot.com/20...r-rockbox.html

This applet is flawless for me and is stupid simple to run.

hth! cheers,
-les
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 11-21-2010, 07:49 AM

Hey, thanks.

My whole Mp3 library is just a mirror of my main Flac library where I keep cover.jpg files and I do use an artist/album hierarchy. When I mirror the Flac library I embed the images (because currently that's what the iPod wants) and I also copy the cover.jpg file to each album folder.

In the wiki page that I read for Rockbox artwork it explains pretty clearly the filenames, and the locations searched for artwork. Does the stock Fuze firmware only look for 'folder.jpg' or will 'cover.jpg' also work?

Are there any limitations in size, either absolute or practical, for artwork? I use mostly 500x500 pixel images, but some are close to 140 KB in size.

I'm going to mirror the library again shortly, which takes about 3 days, so would like to figure out what I need to do to get things right for the Fuze.

Old 11-21-2010, 08:27 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carson Dyle View Post
Hey, thanks.
...snipped...In the wiki page that I read for Rockbox artwork it explains pretty clearly the filenames, and the locations searched for artwork. Does the stock Fuze firmware only look for 'folder.jpg' or will 'cover.jpg' also work? Dunno really, as I used the stock Fuze firmware for like 2 weeks before I went Rockbox. Besides, like I said, in over 13+ years of mpe/DAP usage, I have never bothered myself with a Artist/Album folder hierarchy. Still, I am sure others will chime in here so be patient.

Are there any limitations in size, either absolute or practical, for artwork? I use mostly 500x500 pixel images, but some are close to 140 KB in size. Not that I know of, but in order to reduce jpg file size overhead, I tend to stick with sub 100k image files. Still, I don't think there will be any issues with stuff around 150k size - just don't use 3MB images

I'm going to mirror the library again shortly, which takes about 3 days, so would like to figure out what I need to do to get things right for the Fuze.
see above!
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies