android
Old 11-21-2010, 08:46 PM

Help Question regarding SanDisk Sansa Clip+ 8GB & Rockbox

Hi folks, new to the forum and first post so please be gentle

I know etiquette states I should search before asking, but I have literally scanned everywhere from the Rockbox site, wiki, Clip+ manual and forums and cant see a definitive answer..

I am currently using an old faithfull Archos Gmini 202 (20GB) which I've had for around 5 years, and unfortunately the screen got squished recently when I sat on it, so I'm looking for a new alternative.. The Clip+ seems to be the answer, however;

Could some one confirm to me what the max number of music files are supported by the Clip+ standard software and then with Rockbox? So far I've come across the Sandisk firmware website stating the standard software is limited to 4000 music files, however I can't seem to find an answer for Rockbox, does Rockbox have higher support?

I say this because I have a music collection of somewhere in the region of 29GB with just under 6700 files in the directory.. My ultimate goal is to get ahold of a 32GB SD card when they come down in price here in the UK and have the entire collection on demand..

At the moment this is reduced too 15GB and around 4400 files on my Archos, but if the Clip+ even with Rockbox software can't improve on 4000, then I don't really see any point in making the purchase..

Thanks for any answers in advance!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-21-2010, 09:31 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

In rockbox the max is whatever you can have on a fat32 file system, which I think is somewhere in the millions.

Old 11-21-2010, 10:32 PM

Thanks

Other than that issue it looks like this is a perfect replacement for me, really not interested in playing videos or games on the go (have an android for that!), just wanted something I could store tons of music on and browse through via folder structure (library's pretty messy) with some basic looping/shuffle functions!

Old 11-21-2010, 11:02 PM

Welcome to the forums, and for being someone with the strength of character to search before asking much respect.

Old 11-21-2010, 11:09 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

FWIW we also have an up and coming port of rockbox as an application on Android. Not entirely ready yet, but you may want to keep an eye on it.

Old 11-22-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adub View Post
Welcome to the forums, and for being someone with the strength of character to search before asking much respect.
Thank you for the kind welcome, I realise it was a basic question but I couldn't see an answer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga View Post
FWIW we also have an up and coming port of rockbox as an application on Android. Not entirely ready yet, but you may want to keep an eye on it.
I'll be checking around now that I have been introduced to Rockbox and the boards

I only recently acquired my HTC Desire HD (which I would have liked to stick a 32GB card in and use it as my on the go media player) but the battery life is just not up to scratch yet for all day usage including its other features..

Plus for use in the car etc it's really helpful to have tactile buttons to press (though it'd be nice to have the SatNav, hands free calls & music all in one audio device!), don't suppose the Android Rockbox will support speech recognition?