android
Old 11-16-2010, 11:13 PM

Default before i make a purchase...

hello, been lurking around on the website and the forums since the beginning of november doing my research on a new mp3 player. after 6 years, i have finally given up on my creative labs nomad zen xtra. the thing doesn't hold a charge anymore (already tried a replacement battery, the original worked better!). the thing has been through alot, had to replace the hd after 15 foot fall. what else can i say, i love the thing, a fucking champ, but feel it's time to move on. so i'am thinking of the sansa fuze or maybe the sony NWZ-E355.

an acquaintance of mine has a sansa fuze, and he wasn't really able answer the questions clearly that i have about the device. so here we go:
i use my mp3 player for the most part at work on shuffle. what he told me is after you turn the fuze off, then later turn it back on, it won't start where you stopped it and it forgets it's position in the playlist/what was already played. is that true? will rockbox help with this? (if the price alone was not a selling point on this thing, that firmware could do it!)
are you able to play from both the internal memory and sd card (while in shuffle mode)?
and i remember reading on the abi page something about a 16gb micro sd card and the fuze. is it possible to have 8gb+16gb? or did i misread that article. think i might have, but you guys seem to be in the know

thanx in advance!!!
-hjeff

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-17-2010, 01:33 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Hey there...I actually have 2 Zen Xtras that are still alive and kicking...Great gear I won't part with, so I know exactly where you are coming from.

Better still, I have both the Fuze and the Sony E345 [the previous version of the E you are inquiring about], so I deem myself quite qualified to try and answer your questions

In order:
- don't remember as I no longer use the Fuze original firmware;

- Absolutely yes! Rockbox remembers where you left off, even after power down [Resume Playback of the specific track/current playlist];

- Yes, for both stock Fuze and Fuze with RB. However, note that if you use the original Fuze firmware and want to create mixed media playlists [playlists that take songs from both internal memory and cards], you can only use YAPL or better yet, video4Fuze - these are the only 2 apps I have found which will create mixed media playlists successfully for the stock Fuze.

Rockbox however, allows you near infinite number of playlists and songs on each and you create the playlists on the Fuze itself - pretty much everything about Rockbox revolves around the creation of playlists, either automatically [Dynamic] or user created. Once you wrap you brains around this you will wonder how any modern DAP can get away with not having this kind of OTG playlist functionality;

- YES! Stock Fuze [and of course Rockbox] will happily accept any size microSDHC up to current limit of 32GB.

Final word: I really enjoy my Sony E345. Out of the box, I prefer the Sony EQ and sound enhancements over the stock Fuze. Throw Rockbox in the Fuze and for me, RB/Fuze is top dog for my daily player.

I am extremely interested in the newest Sony E series - they seem to have added a number of features I would be highly interested in and best of all, have upped max battery life to a gargantuan 50 hours [prolly like 35-40 hours real world usage with HQ LAME files].

Form factor and build quality for both stock units are about equal, though I personally like the tall/thin candy bar form factor of the Sony E series a bit better than Fuze. The screen is much nicer on the E and the E boasts all tactile controls, including volume rocker.

Bottom line: You cannot go wrong with either of these quite excellent devices IMO - all a question of what you need.

Rockbox is awesome, but there is a small threshold of user learning you will have to go through. Not difficult by any means, but you must be aware of what you want/expect Rockbox to do for you.

cheers and good luck!
-les
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 11-17-2010, 08:19 AM
Ultra Senior Member

hjeff:
I have a Fuze running the original firmware. I just picked it up and turned it on. Ready to play the song that it was playing when I turned it off. Since it was set to "Shuffle all" (which includes songs in internal memory and the micro SDHC card), it's kinda hard for me to be sure that the next song would be the same now as when I turned it off. Do I care - not really - it's set to Shuffle.

If you battery is run down (deliberately or accidentally), I think you have to restart it. But I'm not certain. It probably remembers audiobook & podcast bookmarks though.

If you charge on the computer, or update the songs on the player such that it refreshed the datatbase, I'm pretty sure you have to start over. Again audiobooks & podcasts probably not, but I don't use them, so better ask somebody else.

If you charge on a non-computer source, I think it will resume.

Steve

Old 11-17-2010, 10:33 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
<snip>- Yes, for both stock Fuze and Fuze with RB. However, note that if you use the original Fuze firmware and want to create mixed media playlists [playlists that take songs from both internal memory and cards], you can only use YAPL or better yet, video4Fuze - these are the only 2 apps I have found which will create mixed media playlists successfully for the stock Fuze.<snip>
Huh? Lestar... Winamp... MTP... playlists from both the internal and external memories...remember? You've kicked Winamp to the curb that easily? And to think you were the one who was going to free us from the tyrannies of WMP. That's OK, we'll chalk it up to jet lag.

Sorry hjeff, just a bit of a joke there. It's just a reminder to lestatar that files transferred in MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) can be included in playlists that involve both the internal and external memory. If you select MTP in the Fuze's settings you can either drag and drop or use a MTP enabled media manger to put your files on the player. After that theres a couple of ways to create playlists. I won't go into a lot of detail on that as it wasn't one of your questions. A search of the forum will help with that if you're interested.

What lestatar says about the Sony players vs. a Rockboxed Fuze reflects my thought exactly. Out the box a Sony is better IMO. Once you throw Rockbox on the Fuze it steps up to an different level. I enjoy the heck out my Sony. Use it quite a bit. If you don't want to hassle around with Rockbox get one. If you're willing to do a little reading and adjusting your mindset get the Fuze.

Old 11-24-2010, 04:31 PM

thanks to lester, free and skip for the incite on these players! with black friday approaching, i will be keeping an eye on the price packages for the fuze and the e345 (THATS the one i meant!). last week looking at amazon i saw a fuze with 16gb card and chargers for 80$, and the e345 with chargers for about 110$. i expect to see the e345 drop a little bit. when i posted this, i had a bit more money to throw around. about to move boston in january, so i took a trip down to philly (gas, tolls, booze), because it may have been my last opportunity to get down there before i move another 5+ hours away..
my concern about the playlist getting reset is possibly hearing the same songs come up everyday. that has been my beef with my nomad. the battery is only holding about 4.5 hours of a charge. when it dies, it resets the playlist and i keep hearing a few songs everyday out of 2000+! also i live in a cold region, so when i bring it out into to car (straight from the charger!), skip to the next track, 9 out of 10 times, the thing dies, and tells me the battery is dead (seems to be the power reader on the player itself).
so again thank you for answering my questions!!!

-hjeff

Old 11-24-2010, 09:49 PM
Ultra Senior Member

skip252: craaaaaaaaappp!! I need to stop posting.... lol...

Of course, you are correct....

hjeff: FYI, the Sony E345 is this one, the USA name for the 16GB and is the PREVIOUS generation:

I have one and have had it since November 2009 and bought it at that time for around 80USD for the 16GB version.

This is the latest Sony E series, the Sony E354, not widely available in USA in sizes larger than 4/8 GB AFAIK at the moment:

Some cosmetic changes, significant increase in battery life over the older E345 [almost double], reportedly many improvements in terms of user OTG playlists and adding some more sound enhancements.

I very much enjoy my older Sony E - quite an excellent player IMO. Still, I am VERY INTERESTED in this newest Sony E above even though I don't need it.

cheers and hth,
-les
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies