android
Old 11-19-2010, 06:10 AM

Default How do I know my player is working!?

I just got my new Cowon i-Audio 9 and it looks great, but there are (possible) PROBLEMS!!

1. I tried to install it / connect it to the PC, but nothing happened. It couldn't find the software (which I didn't put in at first – the CD that came with it), so I put it in, but it still couldn't find it. I tried changing USB ports and unplugging everything and plugging it in again. I tried turning on the player but it's not charged enough I presume so nothing happened there either.

Do I NEED to install it as such? I tried to go to Windows Media Player to see if it found the device, but nope.

2. How do I know it's actually charging correctly? I tried both the USB and the powerpoint charge, but nothing appears to be happening. I mean, obviously it's not turned on, but is there usually a light or something to let you know it's charging ok??

3. How DO you turn it on exactly? I know it's the slider thing on the right side of the player, but it won't STAY slid over to the power part of that slider control. I assume you just slide it there and hold it to switch it on?

HELP!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-19-2010, 07:05 AM

You don't need any software, the i9 is recognized as a standard USB device, like a memory stick, by Windows. Check in the i9's system menu if it's set to MSC mode, not MTP.

You can push one of the buttons (forgot which one) during charging - that way the screen turns on for a short time, showing you the player's status.

You just flick the slider downwards shortly for powering on, and longer for powering off. It returns to its middle position on its own. The 'hold' position is just for locking the buttons, when you carry the player in your pocket or such.

Old 11-19-2010, 07:10 AM

Oh cool, well that's a relief.

My main concern then is that my player won't turn on at all. I'll try it again in a minute as now it's been at least 1.5 hours since it first began charging, so it should have more than enough juice for the screen to at least flicker on!

Does the player need to actually be ON in order for Windows to recognise it as hardware? Cause it wouldn't install it at all when I first tried (when the player was off.)

Thanks so much for replying by the way!

Old 11-19-2010, 07:14 AM

No, the player doesn't have to be on when you connect it to a computer. It turns on on its own when an USB cable is plugged in.

Seems there's something wrong with your i9, from your descriptions. Is it completely new, or how long did you have it? Did you try a different USB port on your computer?

Old 11-19-2010, 07:16 AM

EDIT: Just checked - it's the 'M' button you have to push for turning the screen on, to see if the player is charging/connected.

Old 11-19-2010, 07:20 AM

Ah, cool. I'll do that later on. Maybe tomorrow. Sleep now. (my player is completely new. Just arrived today from Minidisc)

Thanks so much for your help!

Old 11-20-2010, 05:06 AM

YAY, this morning when we tried it again, it worked! Perfectly! Hopefully it won't end up being an erratic or unreliable one...*nervous*

Anyway, another problem though - when it got to the radio setup screen, it gave options for setting the radio frequency, but none were for Australia! They were only the US, European Union, Korea, and Japan. Does this mean I can't use the radio!?!?

Old 11-20-2010, 05:30 AM

Australia should have the same FM frequency range as the EU and US, 88 to 108 MHz. Only difference between the two is that the EU uses smaller 0.05 MHz steps while the US uses larger 0.1 MHz steps.

This might be interesting for you too: http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39525

Old 11-26-2010, 04:22 AM

Oh, that's good to know, thank you!

2 more questions though, lol

1. How do I go back and re-set the radio? I originally chose Japan, which now I see is NOT the one I should've chosen! How do I reset it to EU or US?

2. I know how to turn off the player, but strangely I often find when I think it's switched off (screen goes black), it then comes on again in a few seconds and I haven't touched anything! I try to turn it off again (screen goes black again), but then it comes on again!!!

I assumed I must've somehow been touching something to turn it on again, but then today I went to play it, after having only listened to a grand total of 6 songs since it was last fully charged, and it ran out of battery so obviously it was ON all the time and I didn't realise, while it was sitting in my bag!

HOW do you turn it off so it STAYS off??

Apart from these small issues, I love it. lol

Old 11-26-2010, 05:08 AM

1. Read page 31 here.
2. If you don't hold the off switch in the off position for a few seconds the player is only disengaging the screen rather than turning off. So just hold the switch in the off position a little longer than you are currently doing and it will turn off.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 11-27-2010, 03:20 AM

Thank you so much!!! :d

Old 11-27-2010, 04:46 AM

Oops, another question I can't really work out an answer for in the manual! (then I'll go away, I promise. lol)

My partner got hold of my player a few days ago and did something (she doesn't know what) and now I can't access my music files unless I go into DOCUMENTS, then hit the top left arrow to go back, and then I can get to the other folders (like album, artist, title, etc).

When I go just to the MUSIC section, it only has My Favourites or My Playlist or something, and it's empty.

Clearly she's just made some sort of new folder but how do I get rid of that and just access my music as normal by clicking onto MUSIC, and then just instantly having those folders (artist, album, etc)?

Thanks again!

Old 11-27-2010, 06:57 AM

In music list view, hold the play icon/button for longer. Then switch from the favorites or bookmark list to the regular list view.

Old 11-27-2010, 07:20 AM

another tip you may miss.
While music is playing, press and hold the play button till the sub menus come up. Then scroll up to the |||| icon, this will get you to the BBE EQ settings. You can click through the choices till you find what sound you like. Now if you go to the Main menu and then Settings you will be able to customized BBE User 1,2,3 & 4 settings.

Also from Settings and System you should change the HOLD button to "Next selections". This will change your volume Up/Down to next selections. When you have the unit locked (move the on/off switch to the lock position-all the way up)
You will be able to change songs while its in your pocket.

Last edited by g.711; 11-27-2010 at 07:25 AM.