android
Old 04-02-2010, 10:59 PM

Default Zen 8GB Display Brightness Issue

I saw a similar problem posted here with no solution so I thought I'd see if anything has come of it.

I dropped my Zen and the screen broke. I'm not sure how, because there was absolutely NO physical damage on the housing, but it broke. The screen still worked properly in regards to background brightness though. It went bright when using the controls and faded to dim when not using the controls. So I bought a new LCD for it and it and installed it myself. However, when I fired it up the display brightness wasn't 100%. I set the display brightness to 100% and it didn't change. BUT when I set it to 10%, the display got brighter. You can see it tries to go to full brightness when it's time to do so. The display flashes brighter for 1/2 a second and then stays dim. But when it's plugged into the PC, the display brightness works like it should. Also, when I plug the USB cable only partially in so that the plug-in shows up in the battery icon (but it's not connected to the PC), it works properly as well. So I thought maybe it was a battery issue. I hooked up a variable 20A power supply and set the voltage to 3.7V and slowly worked it up to 4V (with the battery disconnected) and still nothing. I thought maybe I had a faulty display, so I hooked up the old one. And it had the same issue even though the brightness worked before I took the player apart. I've tried EVERY firmware upgrade and downgrade that I could find and still nothing. Anyone know of any solutions to this? It would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-02-2010, 11:44 PM

Well sounds like a wiring issue. When the display gets brighter at 10% than 100% you obviously hooked a wire wrong. Since Zens are quite inexpensive now I'd say trash it and get a new one. The 32 gig is great, the 16 and 8 gigs are MX, guess those work the same but takes fewer video programs. Either way you choose, good luck.

Old 04-03-2010, 07:52 PM

There are no wires (except the battery wires of course, but it did the same before I ever took the + terminal off), only a ribbon cable. Yeah, they're cheap enough. But now it's just the principal.

Old 04-04-2010, 09:22 AM

Okay, I hope you figure it out, let us know if you get it fixed.

Old 05-19-2010, 12:06 AM

I'm gonna keep an eye on this thread since I too have run into the exact same issue.

My brother's second zen started having battery issues so I took the screen out of it to put into his first one that he had initially replaced since the screen stopped working. The screen works fine except when disconnected from USB the backlight is dim and cannot be adjusted. It's almost like there's supposed to be some initialization or calibration procedure when the screen is replaced. So far I have been unable to find any answers. Hopefully this gets figured out.

Old 09-05-2010, 12:40 PM

I'm having a similar issue with my Zen (4GB), but with an extra twist. I opened the player and since then there is the issue that the screen only has full brightness when connected via USB but I also have the problem that it won't turn on normally but only if I connect it to USB. I am still trying to find a solution and will post if I find something.

Old 11-27-2010, 04:38 PM

K same problem screen works but brightness is an issue, also have the problem that it won't turn on normally but only if I connect it to USB. I had 2 broken players that needed the screen replaced, I did so and one player worked fine (also switched screens and both work in one player), The second even charged did not work right (I left a movie playing for 8 hours to kill battery and then recharged, still brightness issue). I just ordered a new battery ( I know its cheaper to just buy a new one but principle just have to finish what i started) Battery should be here Dec 12, 2010 will update everyone then. Also Formatted, upgraded, and Blessed it NO GO.... I will keep checking back here hoping someone has a solution before I Run out of money tring to fix this thing lol.

Later and Thanks

Old 11-29-2010, 04:48 AM

Same problem here with Zen 2GB. Screen brightness does react properly with settings change. I'm changing settings from 10% to 100%, and then from 100% to 10% and it works randomly with some lag. Firmware reload does nothing.