android
Old 08-30-2009, 10:32 PM

Default Another Sansa mp3 player Dead?

My first MP3 ever was from Sandisk, and so far all my previous mp3 players including right now are/where made by Sandisk (5 mp3 players).Today I have another Sandisk mp3 player joining the death list, My Sansa Fuze.

I had just installed Rockbox a couple of weeks ago, and was beginning to enjoy it. And then it happened a white screen (and from Google search its not good). I had just charged my mp3 player completely, and after that my little brother wanted to play Pokemon and I allowed him. He comes back a few seconds later with my mp3 player and this white screen.

I didn't worry a bit, because I remember these white screens use to happen before, and a quick shut off used to solved the problem. This time it did not, I hold the power button for more than 30 seconds and it still has the white screen. My Computer can read it, and when its connected it still has the white screen.

Any help please? If I send it to Sandisk will they fix it for free? I bought it the first year it came out.

I won't pay to get it fixed, since most likely the same may happen again since it is Sandisk....

I'll wait after Labor day and see if the problem goes away. I'll try and take out rockbox.

Thanks.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-30-2009, 11:01 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charger View Post
I had just installed Rockbox a couple of weeks ago

If I send it to Sandisk will they fix it for free?

I won't pay to get it fixed, since most likely the same may happen again since it is Sandisk....

I'll try and take out rockbox.

Thanks.
I'm pretty sure that you have voided your warranty by installing Rockbox. So Sansa will not be fixing it for free.

There is a reason that the RB devs warn people that it's not quite ready for official release, after all.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if someone here has a fix that will work for you. Good luck!

Old 08-30-2009, 11:22 PM

Even If I delete the files?

Well anyways I did a risky thing (I wasn't mad btw, just decided to try it) I gave my Sansa Fuze a hard bump against my table, and it turned on lol.

Everything looks fine, and rockbox is working.

Scary Situation, 3 times this month my sansa fuze had almost died.

Well thanks anyways, if anyone has any tips to avoid this plz post.

I notice this problem happens a lot when charging or after. Must be some battery problem.

Old 08-30-2009, 11:28 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I only got the white screen once or twice in 11 months of Fuze ownership, but I babied mine, so that may not be typical results. Glad to hear you got it working though.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:21 AM
Rockbox Developer

According to http://www.xiph.org/vorbis/doc/v-comment.html it is UTF-8, but there are some restrictions to the name of the tag:
  • A case-insensitive field name that may consist of ASCII 0x20 through 0x7D, 0x3D ('=') excluded. ASCII 0x41 through 0x5A inclusive (A-Z) is to be considered equivalent to ASCII 0x61 through 0x7A inclusive (a-z).
  • The field name is immediately followed by ASCII 0x3D ('='); this equals sign is used to terminate the field name.
  • 0x3D is followed by the 8 bit clean UTF-8 encoded value of the field contents to the end of the field.

Old 12-05-2010, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charger View Post
Even If I delete the files?

Well anyways I did a risky thing (I wasn't mad btw, just decided to try it) I gave my Sansa Fuze a hard bump against my table, and it turned on lol.

Everything looks fine, and rockbox is working.

Scary Situation, 3 times this month my sansa fuze had almost died.
Thank you -- this helped me, too.

My Sansa Fuze v1 also had the white screen problem, but when booting into RockBox it continued the playback where it left off before. The keys and the wheel remained responsive. I could not tell what exactly went on when booting into the original firmware, since that I did not shut down playing anything. However, the wheel appeared to remain functional, because the light came on when turning.

I tried it on my knee, to be a little bit gentler with it. IT WORKED. It comes on fine, boots into both the native OS and into RockBox.

I should add that it turned on with the white screen before, but a restart always helped.

All these symptoms make me think that there may be a hardware (bad contact?) issue behind the problem. With the LCD itself?

I hope this may help somebody else, too...

Gábor