android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Speakers

Old 12-11-2010, 11:37 AM

Default best mp3 player speakers under 200 dollars

Hey,
I'm new here so sorry if I put this in the wrong place. I am looking for mp3 player speakers under 200 bucks. I'd like them to be closer to 100-150 price range (but I wouldn't care if they were like 160 either.) I don't want, or care about docks. Too many ipod docks on the market not enough speaker systems.

Thanks in advance

PS They have to be loud enough for about a medium sized room. But I'm all about the sound quality. (Also I'm not looking for portables)

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-11-2010, 12:40 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I have an old stereo system with a couple of pretty good old speakers. Biggest problem is that the speakers are large. Cost under $10 (if I recall rightly) to pick up a headphone jack to RCA y-cable. Works very well for me. Use it a lot at Xmas, not as much the rest of the year.

So if you've got something similar already, go with that.

Steve

Old 12-11-2010, 01:09 PM

Steve I found my 3.5mm to RCA for under $5.00 and another on sale for $2.50. Both cables are really nice thick with very good terminations, so there's deals out there on good cables.

OP another option would be to use a boom box that has AUX in, I use my JVC Kaboom out by the pool but it's seen it's days inside too.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 12-11-2010, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
Steve I found my 3.5mm to RCA for under $5.00 and another on sale for $2.50. Both cables are really nice thick with very good terminations, so there's deals out there on good cables.

OP another option would be to use a boom box that has AUX in, I use my JVC Kaboom out by the pool but it's seen it's days inside too.
Thanks. I was thinking of something that you're paying for the sound though. I mean a boombox part of the money is for the sound the other part is for tape or cd and for radio. A few things I was looking at was creative labs inspire s2 and klipsch promedia 2.1. I like klipsch. I love their headphones, but I read that these tend to have a lot of problems (one speaker will go bad or the sub) and the inspire s2 seems like it doesn't have enough wattage to be loud enough for use in the room I need it for

PS: A stereo system may be ok too. But computer speakers with a 3.5mm connection tend to be cheaper for better stuff

Old 12-11-2010, 02:29 PM

The Kaboom really lives up to it's name if you're looking for volume and good quality sound without distortion at high dB levels.

Another option is to go to your local buy and sell/hock shop/pawn shop and buy an amp/receiver and a set of floorspeakers. I have picked up some great setups in the past for under $200 that are far superior to any computer speakers.
Battle.net Tag: wuaffiliate#1677

Old 12-11-2010, 03:15 PM

I agree with Adub, the S2 is $122, the Klipsch is around $170.00 and a mini hifi can run around the same price with more to it. I only used the Kaboom as an example off the top of my head, but a quick net search for me rendered the Sony MHCGX470 Mini Shelf System which sells for $170 and has AUX in, I’d be looking for something like that for my room if I didn’t already have a system. http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MHCGX470-...100605&sr=1-19, I'm not saying this Sony is the one for you, just to keep your options open over pc speakers or what Adub stated, I've seen some great deals too at one of our local hock shops.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 12-12-2010, 05:30 AM

See if you can find this in your region, Kurzweil KS40A

http://www.kurzweil.com/Product.php?id=199

Old 12-16-2010, 03:09 PM

In my view, the best options are: Klipsch Promedia 2.1 and the Harman Kardon Soundsticks III.

www.harmankardon.com

Old 12-18-2010, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
I agree with Adub, the S2 is $122, the Klipsch is around $170.00 and a mini hifi can run around the same price with more to it. I only used the Kaboom as an example off the top of my head, but a quick net search for me rendered the Sony MHCGX470 Mini Shelf System which sells for $170 and has AUX in, I’d be looking for something like that for my room if I didn’t already have a system. http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MHCGX470-...100605&sr=1-19, I'm not saying this Sony is the one for you, just to keep your options open over pc speakers or what Adub stated, I've seen some great deals too at one of our local hock shops.
Thanks I'm not much of a sony fan but I don't dislike them either. I'd pick up a sony walkman in heartbeat but their speaker systems aren't always top of the line for sound (similar to bose in the idea of marketing over sound quality.) The other thing is we are looking for slightly compact stuff and I was thinking a 2.1 set with just a 3.5mm would be getting quality for the money cause it doesn't require the extra parts and gets the job done. We will be using sansa with it. So we have fm radio and it is to replace our older home stereo system. Thanks for the idea (I'd be getting what you suggested if it was me but this is for my parents and they wanted me to do the shopping around for them.)

Old 12-18-2010, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xinz View Post
See if you can find this in your region, Kurzweil KS40A

http://www.kurzweil.com/Product.php?id=199
Thanks this looks sweet but it isn't in my region That happens all the time haha

Old 12-18-2010, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glove4 View Post
In my view, the best options are: Klipsch Promedia 2.1 and the Harman Kardon Soundsticks III.

www.harmankardon.com
That's what i was thinking. I like the soundsticks but they seem a bit pricier. I'm also a hardcore klipsch fan. I'm just worried they won't be durable and long lasting. People seemed to be having problems with the 2.1 I usually buy klipsch stuff for myself (s4 and soon to get the over ears. Plus as soon as i've got the cash i'm picking up one of their home theatre sets.) Do you know if the klipsch will be durable or will things short out like a lot of people seem to have problems with