android
Old 10-16-2010, 12:33 AM

Default Confused - synching to two drives on the Fuze?

Hello all,

First time poster - I just purchased a 4gb Fuze with a 4gb SD card for a total of 8gb of storage space. I need to sync my entire WMP library (7gb) but cant figure out how. The internal/external fuze locations show individually so do I have to sync each location independently? If so, what a pain! I would have to figure out the "halfway-point" in my library to half into two 3.5gb sections - and what of a playlist that spans both locations? Is that possible?

I would have thought the two individual 4 gb locations would sync as one big 8gb location....am I missing something?

Any help appreciated.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-16-2010, 03:56 AM

try to sync in mtp mode..haven't tried it myself but you could try it if that works

Old 10-16-2010, 04:46 AM
Ultra Senior Member

MTP might work but that depends on the music library app you are using [WMP, Winamp, MediaMonkey, etc].

However, I do not suggest MTP mode. Far better IMO to set the Fuze to MSC and leave it there. Then simply use Explorer to drag/drop your music. Yes, you will need to figure out the approximate 1/2 way point of your collection to correctly allocate your music - no way around this. Select a bunch of files/folder, right click, select PROPERTIES to see how much you are trying to copy.

For mixed media playlists [playlists using songs from both main Fuze memory and the card], there are only 2 apps which will do this. YAPL and video4Fuze. Search ABi for threads on both. Nothing else will create mixed mode playlists. Trust me on this. If you do find something else, I would like to know and so would others here as well.

Congrats on the Fuze - a sweet player. Once you get used to it perhaps consider Rockbox [but you must only consider Rockbox if you have your eyes wide open].

http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/GeneralFAQ

Don't hesitate to ask questions on any of this stuff here - lots of experienced and friendly people hanging arounf ABi.

cheers,
-les
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 10-16-2010, 07:29 AM

What an interesting problem!
I also have to learn some details about the way MTP players with memory extension cards handle this double storage configuration. I know there are differences regarding database integration when you need to play your music, but I haven't experienced it. Programming a MTP manager, I still have to try a device like the Fuze to discover what the best solution/interface would be to solve that user case.
Vinzz, another forum member has programmed MP3 Sync to solve your isssue. It is made to work in MSC mode and to handle both the internal and external Fuze disks. If you are not afraid of the command-line you could give it a try. If you do, please give feedback to him and to us too!

Old 10-16-2010, 09:53 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magohn View Post
I would have thought the two individual 4 gb locations would sync as one big 8gb location....am I missing something?
Not everybody would want to do this. Some folks would want their "base" music on the internal memory, and variable stuff on the micro card. For example, load a micro card with Christmas tunes and plug it in on Dec 1st and remove it on Dec 26th.

Also, software like WMP was created to be generic. You cannot expect it to perform perfectly with every device out there.

So I think your expectations are a bit high.

BTW, this is a one time only problem. Once you have the player and card loaded, you shouldn't need to do this again.

Steve

Last edited by FreeZ5; 10-16-2010 at 04:59 PM.

Old 10-16-2010, 01:01 PM

Thanks all - I was confused but now I understand the limitations - not a big deal. As suggested I split my library in two and all is now fine. I will have to look into the playlists spanning two locations issue but for now Im just using the "Go" playlist function. I only paid $25 for the unit as a refurb from Woot.com - Im very happy with it

I am curious about the Rockbox functionality but as my firmware is 2.x, I am assuming its not ready for primetime?

Thanks again for clearing things up -great responses

Old 10-16-2010, 05:02 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magohn View Post
I am curious about the Rockbox functionality but as my firmware is 2.x, I am assuming its not ready for primetime?
Read the Rockbox forum. There's a long thread on the Fuze V2. Every thing sounds pretty good, cause lots of users are happy with it.

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=49274

Steve

Old 12-25-2010, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeZ5 View Post
Not everybody would want to do this. Some folks would want their "base" music on the internal memory, and variable stuff on the micro card. For example, load a micro card with Christmas tunes and plug it in on Dec 1st and remove it on Dec 26th.

Also, software like WMP was created to be generic. You cannot expect it to perform perfectly with every device out there.

So I think your expectations are a bit high.

BTW, this is a one time only problem. Once you have the player and card loaded, you shouldn't need to do this again.

Steve
Although I'm late to the discussion I'll add my thoughts since they may help the original poster and others. I had the same concept when I first got my Fuze, thinking of and trying to work with all of the memory, internal memory and memory card, as one single unit. I soon found trying to work with it that way created a great deal of confusion and work for me when managing the files loaded on my player.

The concept that worked for me is to treat the internal memory and the memory card as separate players when loading music on my player. Then, it just became a matter of deciding which "player" I wanted a particular group of files on.

This also simplified the issue of playlists. Although its possible to have a playlist consisting of files from both locations, it is much simpler to put the playlist and its files into one location or the other.

This has made music management with my Fuze much easier, and I hope it helps others.
MediaMonkey 4
Headphones: Koss PortaPro