android
Old 10-27-2008, 05:18 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
You mean it would or could damage my zen?
Yes, any charger really can potentially damage the connecting device if not in good working order, quality, and within the rated output specs the device can handle. Many AC chargers will have protection circuits built in to protect from over-charging, short circuiting, overload, voltage regulation, etc... Many of these types of "adapters" don't have these protection features in place due to their simplistic nature of just being meant for providing power more so than charging. I've seen too many of them outputting more power than their stated output specs. Keep in mind I'm not saying they won't work. Some do just fine. I'm just saying I don't trust them.

Quote:
What can a zen handle?
Titus, I would check out this thread from the beginning and the Zen FAQ for more information on AC charger use with the Zen.

Zen FAQ

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-06-2008, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by owlmark View Post
Just got my charger via Amazon;

Genuine Motorola Original Mains Charger SPN5190A: RAZR, V3, V3x, V3i, PEBL U6, SLVR L7, L2/L6, A780, A910, E1070, E770v, V30, V232

Plug embosed with Motorola and logo.

Input 100-240v ~ 50/60Hz ~ 0.2A
Output 5.0V ~ 550mA

Best of all cost 2.49 including postage!
The model to look for is the "V3C" (CDMA Razr) the chargers are 850mA but 300mA will not make that much of a difference, a little longer to charge and the charger will be a bit warmer.

Old 11-07-2008, 11:33 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I've charged my Zen with a 1A charger and it worked great. Nearly twice as fast (or quicker) as USB charging. An 850mA charger should be a real good charger as well.

Zen FAQ

Old 11-10-2008, 06:15 PM

Be careful of using higher amperage chargers. Too much inrush current on these types of batteries and you seriously shorten their lifespan. I'd rather trickle charge it at ~500mA than hammer it with a full amp...

In fact, a lower amperage wall wart is probably healthier for the Zen than using the USB port on a computer (as long as it's well-filtered).

-Chris

Old 11-10-2008, 06:49 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yeah, you should always be careful regardless and only be using good quality working AC chargers. With that said and used, 1A is perfectly fine to use on the Zen in terms of not causing immediate problems. Now, how much battery life/capacity is lost in the long run, who really knows.... 500mA is far from being considered a trickle charge. A trickle charge is usually considered as high as C/10 or as low as C/100, which would put a charge current at about 55 mA to 5.5mA. Anything above 1A I haven't tested. I would be weary of using more then 1A when plugging in a nearly full charge capacity Zen/battery due to the possibility of triggering the high voltage cut-off circuit prematurely since a high current charge can easily push the voltage up. To be safe and to ensure a lasting battery life, I wouldn't charge the battery in the Zen with more than 1C (like most lithium-ion batteries in these types of devices) everytime, all the time. Since the battery in the Zen is a 3.7v 550mA capacity lithium-ion battery, that would put a charge current of 1C at about 500-550mA. Just perfect for USB charging.

Zen FAQ

Last edited by BobbyRS; 11-10-2008 at 08:04 PM.

Old 11-14-2008, 03:58 PM

Hello...

I wanted to say thank you for writing this thread. After reading it I decided I had enough information to try my Motorola Blue Tooth headset Model SPN5185B with my Creative Zen 8GB MP3 player. I originally posted a thread in the Creative Labs forum asking if indeed this adapter would work with the Zen because I don't know a whole heck of a lot about power specs. I ended up answering my own question thanks to reading what others wrote here. My thread in the forum has a picture in it of the adapter to help those out who are curious about what it looks like. http://forums.creative.com/creativelabs/board/message?board.id=dap&thread.id=222426

Anyhow, this adapter is about $7-9.00 and it's compatible with all kinds of phones and it works perfectly with the Zen 8GB.

What's on the charger's label:
Input level 100-240V ~ 50/60Hz 0.2A
Output: 5.0V 550mA

Compatible cell phones:

IC402,IC502,L2,KRZR K1,KRZR K1M, Pebl, MAXX VE, Razr, V3,V3A,V3C,V3I,V3M,V3R,V3T,V3XX,RIZR Z3,RIZR 26TV,L7C,SLVR L6, SLVR L7,V190,V195,V197,V235,V323,V323I,V325,V325I,V360, V361,V365,W315,W385,W490

Hope this helps someone...

Old 11-14-2008, 11:03 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Welcome chaosdivine. Yeah that charger looks good. Thanks for taking time with posting your results! Enjoy the Zen!

Zen FAQ

Last edited by BobbyRS; 12-31-2008 at 12:34 PM.

Old 01-10-2009, 07:21 PM

I have a Macally USB/AC charger for my Sansas (e260 & e280) would this work o.k. with the 16GB Zen?

Thanks,

Steve

Old 01-10-2009, 09:50 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Output specs or link to the exact adapter?

Zen FAQ

Old 01-16-2009, 02:58 PM

Default Zen Charger (Advice Needed)

Hi, this is my first post. Sorry if this has been posted but I have searched for a similar question but couldn't find one.

I have a Creative Zen (4GB) and a Stone Plus (2GB). I'm looking for a wall charger that will charge both. I have found two options. Could someone tell me which one is best to charge both players?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/KMS-Power-ch...2139233&sr=1-1

or

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Charger-Trav...2139233&sr=1-8

Or is there an alternative? Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:04 PM

I'm a noob but this thread has helped me with the same question.

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=21719

Old 01-16-2009, 07:37 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Thread merged with that very thread.

Zen FAQ

Old 01-17-2009, 10:14 PM

Help Charge 2GB Zen with iGo Wall Charge and A79 Power Tip

A self-admitted newbie here! Wanted to see if anyone out there has been able to charge their Zen using the iGo Wall Charger with the A79 Power Tip? I ordered one just the other day after a trip to the igo.com website, where I looked up the compatibility of their charging units (wall charger) and power tips with the Zen. What's got me really confused and concerned...is that the A79 power tip IS NOT a Mini-USB connector tip but instead is a straight "peg" style connector type...that ONLY appears will fit into my Zen through the headset/headphone jack/port <?>..Is it possible to charge the Zen through the headset/headphone port-jack? I'd appreciate anyone chimming-in with any experience that they may have with using the iGo Wall Charger and A79 power tip! Thanks...

Old 01-17-2009, 10:43 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Hello. Not only is the A79 tip not a connector for a 3.5mm headphone jack, the Zen does not charge through the headphone jack. The A79 tip is for charging older Zen's like the Zen Vision line that has its own charging port. The tip you need for the newer Zen is the A32.

Merged with main charger thread.

Zen FAQ

Old 01-18-2009, 10:40 AM

Default Motorola W385 OEM Travel Charger / AC Adaptor / Wall Charger

So Can I use this Motorola W385 OEM Travel Charger / AC Adaptor / Battery Charger / Wall Charger for my Zen 32GB? will the flashing/charging indicator light on the Zen still work?

If so for $1.67 + $2.98 shipping we have a winner!

http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Trave...2296364&sr=8-6

Or do I need the mini? what's the diff?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._luc_sbs_03_02

Thanks,

Steve

Old 01-19-2009, 07:28 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I believe both listings are for the same Motorola charger, just with different names/Amazon titles. This charger should be fine. Just double check the output specs to be safe.

Zen FAQ

Old 12-27-2010, 01:10 PM

I'm confused by some terminology in this thread. Do people mean any/all kinds of Zens, or just a particular model of Zen? I have a Zen MicroPhoto. Another thread suggests I would need a custom modification done to the generic chargers (which is beyond my capabilities) - http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ead.php?t=7421
Thx.