android
Old 11-27-2010, 11:37 AM

Default 16GB microSD not recognized

Hello,

I have a strange problem with my Clip+ 8GB and need some advice/help. I recently bought a 16GB microSD card (SanDisk 16GB Class 4) for my 4 weeks old Clip+ but the card won't show up in Rockbox.

I use MediaMonkey to sync my player in MSC mode. I can access the SD card in the player via MediaMonkey or the Windows explorer without any problem. If I boot into the original firmware I can access and playback all the files stored on the card.

However, as soon as I boot into Rockbox (I used v3.7 until yesterday, updated to 3.7.1 today in hope to fix my problem) I can't access the files on the card. I tried to update the database many times, but that doesn't do anything. The card is formatted as FAT32 partition with the default cluster size. I've already reformatted it within Windows XP AND tried a tool called SDFormatter aswell. That didn't change anything.

The weird thing is, there's an entry under "System -> Rockbox Info" that says "HD1: Not present" while "System -> Debug -> View disk info" recognizes the card as "[microSD 1]", SU16G Rev8.0, production date 10/2010.

What did I miss? Has anyone experienced something similar? Any tips or advices how to get the card working in Rockbox?

Thanks in advance
cipher

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-27-2010, 11:55 AM
Ultra Senior Member

My SanDisk 16GB card is a Class 2....I didn't think that they sold a Class 4. I have no idea why it would work in the OF but not in Rockbox.....mine works fine either way.

Old 11-27-2010, 12:14 PM

I checked again, it is a class 4 card. I bought it from Amazon last week.

Is there anything I could setup manually? How do you organize your files on the card, what does the filestructure look like? Does your card show up in the Rockbox filemenu aswell? Maybe I'm missing some sort of local mountpoint.
Right now, there's a folder MUSIC on the card, with subfolders called AUDIOBOOKS and PODCASTS.

Could you please check the info in the "System -> Debug -> View disk info" menu? Does it show up as microSD 1, SU16G Rev8.0 aswell? Maybe my card is too new and Rockbox is just missing a flag to recognize it properly. I would pass the information to the developers.

I know, it's a desperate guess

Last edited by cipher; 11-27-2010 at 12:22 PM.

Old 11-27-2010, 02:17 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cipher View Post
I checked again, it is a class 4 card. I bought it from Amazon last week.

Is there anything I could setup manually? How do you organize your files on the card, what does the filestructure look like? Does your card show up in the Rockbox filemenu aswell? Maybe I'm missing some sort of local mountpoint.
Right now, there's a folder MUSIC on the card, with subfolders called AUDIOBOOKS and PODCASTS.

Could you please check the info in the "System -> Debug -> View disk info" menu? Does it show up as microSD 1, SU16G Rev8.0 aswell? Maybe my card is too new and Rockbox is just missing a flag to recognize it properly. I would pass the information to the developers.

I know, it's a desperate guess
OK, file structure on the card is shown in the attached images.
The card does show up in the RB files menu as <microSD1>.
In the Debug menu it shows up differently for me than you though.
[microSD 0]
SD08G Rev. 8.0
Prod: 7/2009

Hopefully this can provide some answers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (24.3 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg Capture2.jpg (47.6 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg Capture3.jpg (49.8 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg Capture4.jpg (55.5 KB, 29 views)

Old 11-27-2010, 03:58 PM

Thanks for posting the images. That's exactly the way I stored my files on the card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
In the Debug menu it shows up differently for me than you though.
[microSD 0]
SD08G Rev. 8.0
Prod: 7/2009
[microSD 0] should be the internal memory. What does it show about [microSD 1]? I wonder if it makes a difference if a card shows up as SDxxG or as SUxxG, as in my case.

Old 11-27-2010, 04:06 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cipher View Post
Thanks for posting the images. That's exactly the way I stored my files on the card.

[microSD 0] should be the internal memory. What does it show about [microSD 1]? I wonder if it makes a difference if a card shows up as SDxxG or as SUxxG, as in my case.
I don't see [microSD 1] there at all in that view disk info menu....just [microSD 0].

Old 11-29-2010, 11:20 PM

Did you ever figure it out? I'm experiencing something issues identical to yours with my 4GB Class 4 MicroSD card and I'm starting to get frustrated.

Old 12-01-2010, 12:00 PM

I'm having the same issue here, but the SD integrates flawlessly when I boot up with original Clip+ firmware... RB problem?

EDIT: Several people on the RB forums are also having the same problems
Link: http://forums.rockbox.org/index.php?topic=26369.0

Last edited by k5r2an; 12-01-2010 at 12:08 PM.

Old 12-02-2010, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
My SanDisk 16GB card is a Class 2....I didn't think that they sold a Class 4. I have no idea why it would work in the OF but not in Rockbox.....mine works fine either way.
Marvin, cipher, et al.
I came back to your messages after getting (Tuesday) a SanDisk 16GB class 2 card from Amazon.

So I looked around, and found ftp://ftp.heise.de/pub/ct/ctsi/h2testw_1.4.zip
I stuck the new card (in SD adapter) into my Aspire One's slot.
And tested it with 200MB of data. Says something like 3.9MB/sec write, 13MB/sec read?
What does that indicate? Or should I do some more testing?

Anyhow, then I copied some mp3 files from the hard drive, and put the microSDHC card into my 4GB Clip+.

Started it up in Rockbox 3.7.1.

Files says: <microSD1>

Rockbox Info says: HD1 12.8GB/14.8GB

Debug->View disk info says:
[microSD 0]
SD04G Rev 8.0
Prod: 9/2009

Oh, I'd better try it with the original Sansa firmware.
(It's refreshing your media; slowly)
Info:
SD Card 15174MB
Free 13129MB

I don't know what this indicates about these cards in a Clip+;
this one (class 2? class 4?) seems to work.
Oh, on the card there's a capital C with a 2 in it.

Thanks,
Sheldon

Old 12-03-2010, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldonisaac View Post
Marvin, cipher, et al.
I came back to your messages after getting (Tuesday) a SanDisk 16GB class 2 card from Amazon.

So I looked around, and found ftp://ftp.heise.de/pub/ct/ctsi/h2testw_1.4.zip
I stuck the new card (in SD adapter) into my Aspire One's slot.
And tested it with 200MB of data. Says something like 3.9MB/sec write, 13MB/sec read?
My card reads only 9.67MByte/s. I wander if that's why my 16 gig card isn't recognized by Rockbox in my 4GB Clip+. The card is recognized in the original firmware.

Thanks,
Tim

Old 12-03-2010, 10:28 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldonisaac View Post
I don't know what this indicates about these cards in a Clip+;
this one (class 2? class 4?) seems to work.
Oh, on the card there's a capital C with a 2 in it.

Thanks,
Sheldon
This much, at least, I can answer.....the C with the 2 inside of it means that it is a class 2 card.

Old 12-08-2010, 04:00 PM

Anyone experienced with programming? RB has released a patch, but you have to patch the source file directly

Patch link: http://www.rockbox.org/tracker/task/11798
scroll to the bottom-ish

Old 12-08-2010, 04:43 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

SimpleGuideToCompiling is quite old and won't work. I've deleted a handful of references to it to make it even harder for people to find. Instead you should use these instructions, which are generally kept up to date:

http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/DevelopmentGuide

Old 12-12-2010, 05:29 PM

I hope someone gets this figured out. It's not a big deal to switch back to the OF to access my card. The problem is when I switch to the OF and it goes into the 2 minute refresh. I guess bookmark updating in Rockbox triggers the refresh.

Tim

Old 01-01-2011, 02:31 PM

No one has updated this thread in a while so I'll add that the 16 gig MicroSD issue has been fixed for me for a while in the current builds.

Tim