android
Old 12-21-2010, 01:17 PM

Default Android 3 honeycomb?

Anyone hear/read rumors about these new Archos tablets getting the newest version of the OS? Apparently the honeycomb version leaves out all the phone stuff since most tablets are not phones (but phones may be tablets).

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-21-2010, 02:23 PM

i don't think it will leave out all the phone stuff, it just adds support for tablets, adding higher resolution and well tablet related stuff.
android tablet iterations already leave out the phone part, afaik, android is flexible enough to allow that.

as for honeycomb coming to the new archos devices: i wouldn't count on it coming in the next few weeks/months after release of 2.4, if at all.

the archos 5 seems to be stuck on 1.6 and it's just 14 months old.

Black Cowon J3 32 GB (Black Ringke Case) - no lousy Sennheiser CX 300 anymore, Pana HJE 900 took the throne... for keeps

Old 12-21-2010, 05:30 PM

Well, I guess it will have to be up to the RockBox guys then.

Old 12-22-2010, 05:10 PM

Yeah with Gingerbread (2.3) just released and no word of an upgrade even to that, i wouldn't hold my breath for a move to 3.0. I guess the question is whether or not it is good enough now or whether there is something on 3.0 that makes it worth waiting for a device with that OS.

I guess I am unsure what tablet capabilities are going to come forward that the devices don't have now?

Old 12-22-2010, 05:44 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Even the ipad could use a re-think as to what could benefit users of iOS on a large display. I'm looking forward to seeing what MS and HP can do to improve tablet UIs with respectively Phone7(or win7-for-tablets) and WebOS. The 2.21 update for the Archos devices added a simple touch to switch pages instead of needing to swipe across the screen. This was a BIG improvement, yet only a little change. And the app selection doesn't have to slide up either, but rather pops up with a simple tap.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:52 AM

The latest news is that Honeycomb does not have any minimum processor specs so we might be lucky and get it for the Archos products.

Old 01-07-2011, 03:15 PM

Honeycomb looks pretty amazing in the videos, I have decided against an Archos device and will wait out Honeycomb to become dominant (guessing by fall). Have ordered a little 7" crappad to tide me over till then. Saves me about 150 bucks in the meantime.

Old 01-07-2011, 04:18 PM
Ultra Senior Member

What's a "crappad"?

Old 01-07-2011, 05:52 PM

Any of the generic junk coming out at $100 or less (maybe $150 or less). They are all of ebay and amazon, you can even buy them in some drug stores (or pharmacy depending on your location).

Old 01-08-2011, 10:49 AM

Well mine was 150 and will be here next week. It is a Coby Kyros running 2.1 but I wanted something that could do movies, music, email, internet and ereading and it can. This seems to be the least crappy of the crap pads though. Just have a lot of travel coming up and needed something. That said this time next year I will be hopefully enjoying a nice Honeycomb tablet

Old 01-08-2011, 05:38 PM

List of crappads:
http://www.bigboxstore.com/computers/android-tablet-pcs

Old 01-09-2011, 04:10 PM
ABI Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_E View Post
Anyone hear/read rumors about these new Archos tablets getting the newest version of the OS? Apparently the honeycomb version leaves out all the phone stuff since most tablets are not phones (but phones may be tablets).
I met with Archos while i was at CES and they did say that they would be getting Honeycomb.

I had a chance to check out all of their tablets too and i was quite impressed. Really solid hardware at good price points. What i really like is that they dont try to do anything fancy with the UI its relatively stock with the exception of their media apps and widgets but i believe they can be uninstaller anyway if you want to use other media apps. Archos was always a bit rough in the MP3 and PMP arena, but i certainly think they are on the right path with their 8th gen tablets.

I dont think Archos expected the demand they got for these, they are hard to find in retail and are often out of stock on their site.

Old 01-09-2011, 08:34 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnzoTen View Post
I met with Archos while i was at CES and they did say that they would be getting Honeycomb.
Any mention of when?

Old 01-10-2011, 12:37 AM
ABI Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olley View Post
Any mention of when?
No, but gingerbread will be released soon.

Old 01-10-2011, 10:09 AM

They will be putting HC on the gen 8 tablets or they will have a new tablet with HC? I know there are no hardware requirements for HC but the gen 8 will be the slowest devices announced by a long shot if they move to it.

Old 01-10-2011, 01:09 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The gen8s are capable, and have only been out long enough for a few people to catch them when available. I see no reason to not upgrade them to Honeycomb if it becomes available before the 4th quarter of 2011. If Archos doesn't do it, the developer community will.

Old 01-10-2011, 11:10 PM

It shouldn't be like Windows 2000 to XP to Vista where the processor speed should be a real problem. If it suffers that much bloat to where the 800Mhz processor can't take it, then there is a problem with the core of the OS. It would be nice if they used a natively compiled OS and not so much Just In Time compiling, things would crank then.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:05 AM

Hmm... Hopefully the OS could get the most out of the 800mghz the new motorola that is coming out has 2GHZ. I believe that the proposed Acer is the same. I do hope that Archos brings HC to gen 8.

Old 01-11-2011, 05:12 PM

From what I read it is not a 2Ghx, but a dual 1Ghz processor. The significance would be in multi-threading applications.