android
Old 01-07-2011, 07:48 AM

Default Cowon D3 Firmware v1.21

My prediction that Cowon's going to churn out firmware updates in high speed, after seeing how laggy the D3 UI is, came true...

Firmware 1.21: http://board.cowon.com/zeroboard/zbo...9&bmenu=iAUDIO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Google Translate
* Video player
Screen and audio sync error correction

* Music Player
Delete files from the folder browser when the browser update has been applied for
Album Matrix browser to display the images should not appear often correct errors

* Sleep mode, reducing the transition time
2 Lock For about 2 seconds to hold state jeonhwanhu Lock screen mode, press the power button to sleep mode, enters through

* Photo Viewer, image decoding error correction

* App Update: Twitter, wodeueop

* Additional stability improvements

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-07-2011, 08:01 AM
Samsung Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
My prediction that Cowon's going to churn out firmware updates in high speed, after seeing how laggy the D3 UI is, came true...
Above all that's strange they did not see it before releasing the product

Old 01-07-2011, 08:03 AM

Obviously it's important to rush out a product one week earlier, then shoot the first update out right after that...

Paying customer are the cheapest beta testers, after all - they are paying to be beta testers...

Old 01-07-2011, 08:06 AM
Samsung Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
Paying customer are the cheapest beta testers, after all - they are paying to be beta testers...
I know, that's what I have been doing for years now, except that I don't have to pay fortunately

But that is the typical Samsung policy. It seems to me that's new at Cowon? They did not release the S9 and J3 with such a beta firmware.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:14 AM

The S9 was ok with the initial firmware, but it got huge improvements down the line with gapless and UI speed improvements. Luckily they released the J3 with all they learned from the S9, so the first J3 firmware was already great, and only tiny bug fixes in the following J3 firmwares.

However, Cowon had the same rushed/botched approach with their shitty video players, like the O2 and V5, which came with very beta firmwares (and didn't improve much after that). Let's hope the D3 doesn't have the same sad future as these crap-PMPs...

Old 01-08-2011, 07:13 AM

The saving grace for the D3 is of course that the OS is not proprietary. I am quite certain modifications can be made to make it usable or use alternative players (Rockbox comes to mind obviously)...

Had the X7 had a better resolution, I would have jumped on it, even for the price of some battery life. I ordered the D3 for Android, but it's possible that Cowon underpowered the player. Again Froyo is way more optimised and does yield some significant improvements. Once hopes that it is THE firmware update Cowon is working on.

Old 01-08-2011, 07:25 AM

ofc, android does open up a variety of possibilities.

but it doesn't change the fact that the player itself is way too weak-chested in the battery department. you have to see that cowon, while always having decent to superb battery life, rates the battery life always a lot higher (by some 5+ hours) then what it comes down to in real life usage. so 21 hours of audio usage might be cut to 15 or even 10 hours (maybe a bit exaggerated).

video might come down to 8 hours... that's not too much of a problem.
and most of all it's an mid not a "prestige mp3" player, like advertised. you can browse the internet, through wifi. and wifi is hungry, very hungry. it eats battery life, like delicious baby kittens.

Black Cowon J3 32 GB (Black Ringke Case) - no lousy Sennheiser CX 300 anymore, Pana HJE 900 took the throne... for keeps

Old 01-10-2011, 09:01 AM

So, i'm waiting for videos to see the new firmware working, i must see that!