android
Old 01-05-2011, 09:29 AM

Default First D3 Videos Emerge on Youtube

Hi guys i just found this video on youtube, it looks laggy... what do you think?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-05-2011, 09:31 AM

Thread title (original 'Video') changed.

Indeed, reaction to button presses looks *very* laggy in that video. Certainly something that would annoy me greatly in the long run. List scrolling looks smooth enough though - not quite as smooth as the J3, but way better than the O2, V5, etc.

Another one showing how laggy the thing is:

Here's the D3's browser versus the Zune HD - making the D3 look rather slow once again:

Here's another video, showing off PowerAmp running on the D3 (watch it on Youtube for good quality):

Also found one that's marked as "private", but I guess it goes live once that Japanese site has their review out, or something:

Old 01-05-2011, 09:48 AM

Hopefully its something that can be fixed with a firmware update. But it makes me wonder what kind of processor it has and how much RAM it has.

Edit

Looks so much better with an alternative launcher although the scrolling still doesn't look quite as smooth as I would hope it would be.

Last edited by TechyguyDR; 01-05-2011 at 10:56 PM. Reason: Video added

Old 01-06-2011, 05:30 AM

Wow, was not expecting this at all from the D3, but then perhaps the firmware was rushed. If cowon does not release specs of how much ram and what cpu the D3 uses, the only way to find out would be possibly opening the device.

Old 01-06-2011, 06:11 AM
Ultra Senior Member

If it ships with 2.1, that may be the reason we're seeing sluggishness in those videos. The update to 2.21 on Archos gen8s brought faster more efficiently compiled code that did make noticable improvements. It could do the same for this D3.

Old 01-06-2011, 06:17 AM

Froyo is much better in term of performance indeed. This said, I wish the guy did something else than flicking through homescreens in his videos... Given the amount of "stuff" he has on it, it seems a version of the market might be available as well.

Old 01-06-2011, 06:22 AM

that's just horrible. if Cowon will release it in that sluggish state it will most definitely get only negative reviews, which in turn means, no sales outside of S Korea.

2.2 had that new JIT compiler, a new java engine and lots of overall improvements. but that sluggishness does not come from 2.1 i'm sure. it just comes from a badly coded overlay. or under-performing hardware.

i really do hope that this is still beta stadium. if it turns out to be a release product is see black and blue for the D3. gadget editors are going to throw around with feces, i tell you. they don't care about good sq or vq, they just care about fancy schmancy UI and smoothness, everything else is secondary.

Black Cowon J3 32 GB (Black Ringke Case) - no lousy Sennheiser CX 300 anymore, Pana HJE 900 took the throne... for keeps

Old 01-06-2011, 11:16 AM

I was reading the D3 thread over at iaudiophile and there was a link to the enuri review (the one that the 4th vid that dfkt posted). It seems that they were able to find out what processor it is and it turns out that its a Telechips TCC89xx processor. After doing a bit of searching around on google it seems that its speed ranges from 800Mhz to 1Ghz, which is pretty good.
Furthermore I looked on youtube for some videos of tablets that use the same processor (most if not all are Chinese iPad knockoffs) and they seemed to preform much better than the D3. Most seemed to have 256MB of RAM.
So what am I trying to say? I'd say that it definitely looks like this is a problem with Cowon's customization of Android IF it is true that the D3 is using the processor that the review claims it uses.

Old 01-12-2011, 05:55 AM

Lots of videos on the Korean Naver site, and some rumored specs as well. I don't believe CPU "estimates", I rather wait until someone cracks a D3 open to know for sure.

Original: http://blog.naver.com/mchan21/60121307944
Translate: http://translate.google.com/translat...307944&act=url

Old 01-12-2011, 09:56 AM

I would hope so. I just wonder who is going to want to open one up