android
Old 01-18-2011, 07:47 AM

Wow, it turns on at... 1:24... and after that it scans for media? Wow. This is just sad.

Pressing the audio play button seems to be down to a two Mississippi response, compared to the three Mississippi of the initial firmware.

The multiple overlay menus in video mode look rather confusing, with the text of the other menu showing in the background. List scrolling at least looks almost as responsive as on the S9, but not close to the J3.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-18-2011, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
The multiple overlay menus in video mode look rather confusing, with the text of the other menu showing in the background.
That's a bug and that's the first time it happened. Possibly because of the 1080p file. On a "normal" video, the video continues playing, while you scroll the menu (although it's not smooth).

The 1mn+ startup is typical Android / your normal smartphone to be honest. The Media scanning part is a bit more annoying since I thought it'd be much quicker (and you can't do much while it happens).

Happy to take any questions and showcase stuff with short videos. On a daily basis, it's usable, but Cowon has to fix the occasional music playback stuttering (you can hear one instance of that when I start the player).

Old 01-18-2011, 09:46 AM

Speed looks good enough for me, hopefully they will fix the audio stuttering in the next firmware, if they keep upgrading every week it should be delivered Thursday...

It looks I will get mine tomorrow, it left the customs today

Old 01-18-2011, 09:59 AM

Your video reminds of MS Vista days.

Old 01-18-2011, 10:50 AM

Looks better, much better. BTW I couldn't really tell, but were you able to make it so that Cowon's music app didn't load the album art in the background? I couldn't really tell if it was there or not, but something tells me that if the music app wouldn't have to load the album art on the background it might actually preform a lot better. It just seems like extra work for the music app to have to do that.

Old 01-18-2011, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechyguyDR View Post
Looks better, much better. BTW I couldn't really tell, but were you able to make it so that Cowon's music app didn't load the album art in the background? I couldn't really tell if it was there or not, but something tells me that if the music app wouldn't have to load the album art on the background it might actually preform a lot better. It just seems like extra work for the music app to have to do that.
The new firmware has that option and background album art was off. It does not seem to make that much of a difference though.

Old 01-18-2011, 03:28 PM

Oh I see. Thanks

Old 01-19-2011, 05:13 AM

Thanks for the video.

Startup seems to take about as long as the Archos 43 and the occasional lags remind me of that device too.

How is the wifi? Range? Browser speed? Nobody seems to be talking about that but it's the D3's raison d'etre - the only practical reason to buy one over a J3.

Old 01-19-2011, 08:51 AM

Mine has arrived

First impressions are pretty positive, amazing sound!! It drives my Ultrasone Pro 900 easily and loud!

Didn't have any stuttering yet, but I use the internal memory and not a SD card (I also play FLAC).

Copying to the device goes pretty slow, 2.1 MB a second

Will see if I can root the device if I have some time and post something about the internals, I guess it has 128MB memory. Will probably post a little bit more this weekend when I have some time.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:41 AM

^About how much free RAM do you have just after booting up?

Old 01-19-2011, 09:53 AM

Little time available ATM, it seems there is 149MB RAM :s, CPU runs at 720 MhZ Some korean services are running, aargh should take a few days off and do some hacking...

Edit:
Universal root application doesn't work, no root acces for now
It seems transferring files in Windows goes fast, DAMN a Linux device with a NTFS file system, ouch... So probably NTFS is the reason for the slow transfers in Linux. Whatever, doesn't stop me being happy with the device...

SubEdit: @ Mac users, Mac can't write to NTFS by default, so be prepared

Many Cowon applications are running after a reboot, message crap, Korean keyboard support, Calendar, Mail etc. It's my first Android device, and it seems you can only kill apps with 3rd party apps. To answer the question, without killing the crap processes there is 79MB of memory available after a reboot (I removed all widgets, so don't know how much memory there is left after you have a fresh install)

Edit 2:
First stutterings in music playback , @ globiboulga: Download http://static.fiendish.net/xaueious/...csheep.asi.apk and kill some apps. See here for info: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/...formation.html. Still to early to say, but seems stutterings are gone after that, bad bad Cowon running 2 clocks which waste 30 MBs of memory and then all other crap on a PMP, whatever ... Wish I had root access and could disable those applications forever, maybe there are other ways, but first few hours of my life with an Android device, so...

@ anybody: AFAIK Android doesn't use hardware acceleration in the GUI, it seems to be planned for 2.4, but until then it won't run as smooth as you old $hitty iPhone, iPod Touch.

Edit 3: Did I say the SQ rocks? And it goes loud, clear and undistorted

Last edited by Dwaalspoor98; 01-19-2011 at 03:29 PM.

Old 01-19-2011, 03:24 PM

Happy to see yours works. Let me know if you get freeze or anything similar - who knows, I may have a lemon?

If you can root it; that's also be fantastic. And help and correct some issues.

Update: I killed a few apps / services to test. The player is much more responsive. Remove email, clock, and all the other stuff that I am not interested in. Works a treat so far. Using the large arrow to switch to the library is almost instantaneous (only have 2 albums on the player now though...). Lag is almost gone from everythinhg ?!

Thanks for the tip.

PS: Yeah, the sound is just close to AWESOME.

Last edited by globiboulga; 01-19-2011 at 04:28 PM.

Old 01-19-2011, 06:14 PM

If you want to root it you could also try the z4root app. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=833953

Old 01-19-2011, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohit3192 View Post
^there will be no single battery life.
It depends on sound enhancements,wi-fi on/off.
Further,it depends also on headphones used.
@Globiboulga:Take you time and post some pictures also.
I assume you have option to return whether it is 1 day or 1 week,so,give unit some time also.
i know that he can't give out exact numbers, but an estimate of normal usage would be nice

Old 01-20-2011, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechyguyDR View Post
If you want to root it you could also try the z4root app. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=833953
Thanks a lot!!!, didn't search that much yet, but permanent root access is now enabled.

Nothing to do with the root access:
I was able to format internal memory as FAT from a PC, so Mac users can also use the device without hassling with the NTFS driver (And yes you will loose large file support because of FAT limitations). But it didn't fix my slow transfer speed in Linux.

Old 01-20-2011, 04:59 AM

Personally I don't care to much about the Equalizer, but the BBE settings, etc. are system wide so will work with all players.. I know this will make some people happy, you can control it from settings

Edit: RockBox seems to play FLACs gapless easily, almost weekend

Last edited by Dwaalspoor98; 01-21-2011 at 05:21 AM.

Old 01-21-2011, 08:01 AM

Firmware 1.25

Google Translate

Quote:
* Music Player
Speed up the next song or previous song switch
Stop playing, song occurs jeonhwangan modify the reverb reverberation

* Video player
Playing screen, touch and hold to change the aspect ratio (Auto, 16:9, 4:3)
Playing in the multi-touch UI hidden features add to the pan & scan tuning
To initialize the player to run the show just before the play scene
Display your Name in

* improve the stability behavior
Media scan file is being scanned, or thumbnail display
Scanning stops when an error occurs during the scan thumbnail processing

* Photo Viewer
Gif files of small size display error correction
Downloading right now, media scanner was one of my biggest annoyances, seems they improved it.

Old 01-21-2011, 04:11 PM

Help

I currently own an Archos 5it with Android 1.6 and want to switch to a Cowon D3. Questions for those that have purchased from exportprive. Did your Cowon D3 come with DMB as I would prefer not to have it (since it is not available for the US)? What type of power supply comes with it (can it be used in the US with an adapter)?

For all those that are fortunate to have a Cowon D3, have you tried to install gapps4archos.apk (for eclair)?

Last edited by miykael; 01-21-2011 at 04:14 PM. Reason: wrong file name

Old 01-22-2011, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwaalspoor98 View Post
Personally I don't care to much about the Equalizer, but the BBE settings, etc. are system wide so will work with all players.. I know this will make some people happy, you can control it from settings

Edit: RockBox seems to play FLACs gapless easily, almost weekend
Dwaalspor,

Which Rockbox built did you use. I failed to play FLAC files for me. Curious to see if we're using the same...

BBE settings are system wide, but you won't be able to change them within each application. You need to exit the app if you want to modify the settings (unless an application provides direct access to these settings).

How's you experience with freezes and music stuttering?

Old 01-23-2011, 02:53 AM

Hi, I'm hacking around a little for the last few days, in short the media scanner of Cowon is the biggest cause of lag issues, disabled it for some time (after rooted) and device works much better, but Cowon media apps stop working after that.

Rockbox ran fine for some time, but now I have various issues, will see if I can compile the latest version by myself today.

Android 2.1 is not ready for media, but I still love the device and it has the guts to be the perfect music player.

It seems 3rdparty audio players have low volume But still one day of the weekend left to play/hack around, will keep you updated.