android
Go Back   abi>>forums > Miscellaneous Tech > Anythingbutiphone > Windows Phones

Old 12-22-2010, 07:02 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

Sweet looking phone, Enzo.
What DAP would you say the SQ is closest to?

Also, being we can ask anything...
....Would you say it sounds better than the HM-801?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-22-2010, 07:05 PM
ABI Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by musichound View Post
Sweet looking phone, Enzo.
What DAP would you say the SQ is closest to?
Creative without an EQ. Good, but raggedy in some areas if you critically listen with a good pair of headphones

Quote:
Originally Posted by musichound View Post
Also, being we can ask anything...
....Would you say it sounds better than the HM-801?
yes

Old 12-22-2010, 07:09 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Thanks Enzo, I'd actually expected the multimedia experience on the Dell Venue Pro to be more well put together,...too bad there's no custom EQ like in my powerAMP. Still, looks like a solid player. Now off to view the DVP vs HTC HD7 article!!!

Old 12-22-2010, 07:25 PM
ABI Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Thanks Enzo, I'd actually expected the multimedia experience on the Dell Venue Pro to be more well put together,...too bad there's no custom EQ like in my powerAMP. Still, looks like a solid player. Now off to view the DVP vs HTC HD7 article!!!
With apps like WinAmp and PowerDB i think that Android phones will be more geared to people like us who really want to tweak our audio settings. For me though its hard to move out of the Zune UI its too well integrated into the phone and too easy to use to care about an EQ, but would certainly love to see one. I am hoping at one point we will other than the HD7's presets.

Old 12-23-2010, 09:22 AM
Anythingbutiphone Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourlife View Post
Dell is definitely using a PenTile display... One of the main features of the Venue Pro is the AMOLED display...
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnzoTen View Post
It is AMOLED 4.1". Not sure about the PenTile tech. It looks as good as the Nexus S's AMOLED.
I stand correct, didn't realize they had used an AMOLED. However, do not assume that all AMOLEDs are using the PenTile array. It's a Samsung exclusive technology at the moment. If the screen is made by Samsung, then it is likely using PenTile. If the screen is made by LG or another vendor, it is likely not using PenTile. I haven't seen a teardown, so I don't know for certain who made the screen.

Old 12-25-2010, 12:52 PM

Is a review of the Venue Pro on its way? :>

Old 12-26-2010, 10:53 PM

another question is here:
If I input character using hard keyboard, the screen is to display contacts info or bing search? thanks!

Old 12-30-2010, 02:49 PM

Default LED Indicator ?

Does the Dell Venue Pro have some LED indicator for text messages or low battery over the display ? Thanks for reply.

Last edited by Mnau; 01-02-2011 at 10:43 AM.

Old 01-05-2011, 03:49 PM
Contributing Editor

Not specific for the Dell, but how is your Windows Phone experience going? Having used all of the major OS's, is there anything that stands out better or worse between them all?

Im very intrigued with Windows Phone, but not enough to jump the Android ship. But, I have been hearing too many rumors about Honeycomb needing dual core, this and that. they're all rumors at this point, but honestly if Honeycomb did have all of these hardware requirements and basically phases out the 2010 phones/tablets that are out, I would be pretty steamed. Enough to jump ship at that point.

iOS does nothing for me (half my family has iPhone 4's), Palm is a joke at this point as well as Symbian/Meego/Maego or whatever they have decided to call it this week. But, Windows has been impressive since the leaked shots.

Old 01-05-2011, 04:48 PM
Anythingbutiphone Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasrhp View Post

Im very intrigued with Windows Phone, but not enough to jump the Android ship. But, I have been hearing too many rumors about Honeycomb needing dual core, this and that. they're all rumors at this point, but honestly if Honeycomb did have all of these hardware requirements and basically phases out the 2010 phones/tablets that are out, I would be pretty steamed. Enough to jump ship at that point.
I don't want to derail this thread as we have a whole 'nother Android forum, so I'll keep this short. Those same rumors about Honeycomb are the same rumors that persisted about Gingerbread (1ghz requirement, 1200x800 screen res, etc.). There's a lot happening, but newly released phones won't be getting left behind.

EDIT: I stand corrected on the Honeycomb rumors. I'll have something on that on the ABIpad forums...

As for Windows updates, they could go either way. With WinMo, they shipped and then worked on the next version. It was rare for a phone to get an OS update (though some did). No phone ever got two OS updates. Since the iPhone, that's an expectation. But no one knows how MS will do their updates. Will they have a WP8 come out next year? Will they just do incremental updates and service packs for a few years, followed by another major release (WP8) that requires new hardware? Who knows.

Last edited by medion; 01-05-2011 at 06:59 PM.

Old 01-06-2011, 01:06 AM

I reckon MS would be mad to introduce a new OS that is NOT available for free to GEN1 WP& owners (or a small incremental fee) before they have built a significant base market share.

If they wish to be a serious contender - I think they will have to make updates available to current handset owners (even if hardware may limit some functionality vs any Gen 2 improvements like front camera).

I would be waiting at least another 12m before considering an OS update in the manner of a iphone updates.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:31 AM
Contributing Editor

Enzo, which handset are you using daily now, Dell or HTC?

Old 01-23-2011, 03:57 AM

And is the Dell still working or showing any signs of the defects they have been shipping ?