android
Old 01-28-2011, 07:21 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Default Archos 32 RMAA Tests

Full RMAA results here: http://rmaa.elektrokrishna.com/Compa...Clip%2B%29.htm

The Archos 32 is fine with dynamic driver IEMs, craps out a bit with difficult multi-armature IEMs with crossovers (due to some output impedance), but has generally very nice measurements. In a volume-matched AB test I couldn't hear any audible difference compared to the Cowon J3 or Sansa Clip+. Crosstalk looks a bit high on the Archos, but I didn't hear any difference. Bass roll-off is lower than on Cowon or iriver players. Still, that's not audible anyways.

Frequency response:

Stereo crosstalk:

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-28-2011, 08:16 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I'ma gettin' me an Archos 43 or 70, thanks!!! Glad the SQ has finally become equal to all the other player out there,...WooT!!!

Old 01-28-2011, 09:07 PM

If possible jam it into a higher impedance load and see what it does... I have a feeling that it will look even more ugly. The 32 ohm looks like what I can hear when I give my 43 a high impedance load like the 1k to 600 ohm unbalanced to balanced transformers.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:23 PM

I have a question.
Is it possible for headphones to have crosstalk?
Reason for asking the question: In some of the tests involving the vibe for 16 ohm tests the crosstalk of the device is around the -42db mark giving almost the same graph.

Sansa Clip+ Cowon J3 Sony A845 Samsung YP-R0 test Crosstalk

Old 01-28-2011, 09:37 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I'll have an Archos 70 a little after the middle on next month,...now I can't wait.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:09 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_E View Post
If possible jam it into a higher impedance load and see what it does... I have a feeling that it will look even more ugly. The 32 ohm looks like what I can hear when I give my 43 a high impedance load like the 1k to 600 ohm unbalanced to balanced transformers.
Actually, the higher the impedance (within reasonable levels), the easier a player can generally drive phones - at least for single driver phones.

The deviation in frequency response you see with the Shure SE530 isn't because of their impedance, but because they're multi-armature driver with a crossover. It looks as if the Archos has a higher output impedance than, say a Sansa Clip or a Cowon J3, but still lower than a Sony A845.

Here's how other players behave with the Shure attached:

And here's how players' frequency responses generally look with increasing impedances attached - with regular single driver phones, when no crossover is involved (same goes for the Archos too):

Old 01-29-2011, 04:24 PM

That is not what I experience in actual use. Had the same problem with a Sony E series player... As the impedance goes up volume goes down and frequency response sounds very different (to harsh at 1k). Theoretically I know that it should be easier to drive a higher impedance load, there are huge improvements in going from a 600ohm terminated system to a 10K unterminated system in balanced audio and those include a large drop in power draw. But what I hear going between a low impedance and higher impedance device connection is definitely not good. This is a problem I never had with my old Jukebox player, it was happy driving just about any load. The 43 is better than the E series Sony, but I think it still lacks the output amps that it should have. Part of this may be the desire to run on a single Lipo battery and there isn't much that can be done with this voltage.