android
Old 01-26-2011, 08:09 AM

Default Stuck scroll wheel fixed.

Suddenly one day I found the scroll wheel just wouldn't budge. Only a few months old and hardly used, but scroll wheel had been perfectly smooth and fine.
Tried resetting, tried reformatting, Downloaded latest firmware. No joy.
So I checked out the disassembly page I found here and set about carefully taking apart. After reaching the scroll wheel and not being able to free it up, I decided to use a bit of lubricating oil and squeezed it into the back of the wheel as best I could. That did the trick.
Reassembling, the hardest part was getting the ribbon back in - very frustrating indeed and I had to do a workaround involving leaving a couple of screws out
But anyway, it is now working again so I'm very happy. The wheel isnt quite as smooth as it was, but perfectly acceptable as long as it doesnt gum up again. The casing doesnt fit quite as snug either but am leaving as is, cos I'm just relieved I've got life back into it
So hope this might help someone. Thanks for this website and the info I gleaned here to help me with this problem.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-01-2011, 02:35 PM

I do not know if the problem you had was the same as I had, but all I had to do was to drip some rubbing alcohol on the wheel so it went down into the unit. A little spin and it was as good as new. The alcohol will evaporate off and not hurt the unit. I think some dust/fuzz gets in there and jams it up.

Old 02-03-2011, 05:03 PM

That would have been the sensible thing to do! If it happens again I would try that first.