android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Archos > Archos Generation 8 Android Devices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-07-2011, 12:41 AM

Default Archos 605 WiFi owner into buying an Archos 32, have a few questions about it

I may need a new PMP soon (My Archos 605's battery is dying out) and with the codec support, UPnP, and composite out, the 32 looks like it might be the one for me, but I have some questions.

- The review at Digital Trends ( http://www.digitaltrends.com/tablet-...tablet-review/ ) totally slams it, most notably saying that the audio processing seems completely broken (the review has the full details but their qualms were mainly with problematic stereo separation and the strength of speech and vocals), which seems really odd and I haven't seen it mentioned elsewhere. What's up? Assuming they got 2 duds, how's the audio quality in general?

- CNet's review says that it has major problems with MP3s with sampling rates below 44.1 khz (common for podcasts). How bad is it? Has this been fixed in an update?

- How much is the Cinema plugin? Do any international resellers have it at a discount like with the older plugins? With UPnP, does PlayOn work fine?

- Is there an "official" composite A/V out cable or just the ones on eBay (I saw a specific one recommended in a ArchosFans thread)?

- Does the screen lock or not? CNet says yes via the power button somehow, some reviews say no.

- What are the major negatives? How do they impact the experience if I'm mainly using it as a media player and not necessarily for the other apps?

Thanks!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]