android
Old 11-09-2010, 05:34 PM

Default Compressibility is too high (Error message)

Hi all,

After doing a lot of research over the past week, I ended up purchasing a Cowon O2 thanks in a large part to the efforts of dfkt and his charts/posts. My main usage will be in my car in order to play my FLAC collection car via the aux input of the stereo system. While most of my collection is FLAC, I do have some MP3, ape, and other file types. While trying to play and APE file at 436kbps, I get the following error message:

Compressibility is too high

The firmware version number on my O2 is: 1.43F

The Cowon O2 is said to support APE files, but I'm not sure if the bit rate is the problem or not. I googled the error message and was not able to find any remedies. Any help is greatly appreciated.

TIA,

Zzvelik

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-15-2010, 08:38 AM

I also get the Unsupported Codec error message when I try to play .mpg and .mpeg files:

I thought all of these popular codecs were compatible on the O2. Anyone here know of a remedy?

Old 11-15-2010, 09:46 AM

You bought the O2 because of what I wrote? Wow, you're an optimist.

The best remedy for APE errors is - convert them to FLAC. It's a much better format in almost all aspects (error stability, tagging, compatibility, etc), and it's really not that much bigger files than APE. Here's an excellent overview of lossless codecs: http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index....mparison_Table

As far as your MPEG files go, they're probably MPEG2, not MPEG1. Cowons don't play MPEG2 for some reason (probably because of some silly DVD piracy lawsuits or such). You could try renaming them from .mpg to .ts - that may work (it works on the Cowon V5).

If in doubt, check your files with MediaInfo and report back with the results.

Old 11-16-2010, 12:52 AM

Thanks for the tips... I'll give them a try tomorrow. By the way, I sure miss your authentic Sachertorte I had in Wien back in 2000 ;-)

Old 11-20-2010, 08:46 AM

Thanks for pointing out the MediaInfo program dfkt. It confirmed the files types I had problems playing were mpeg2. The mpeg1 files had no problems on the Cowon O2.

I now have a new challenge finding better headphones/IEMs than my Sennheiser HD 202 and Altec Lansing IM716. The continuing deals on the HD 555 looks appealing, but I must audition the AIAIAI TMA-1 when I get a chance. Thanks again

Old 11-20-2010, 10:48 AM

Would be interesting to know if your MPEG2 files play if you rename them to .ts. I have no MPEG2s at hand so I can't test that.

As for HD555 vs. TMA-1 - depends mostly on where you're intending to use them. The HD555 are open phones, and only useful in quiet surroundings. The TMA-1 are closed and fairly well isolating, so they can be used on the go.

Old 11-20-2010, 08:09 PM

Renaming the mpeg2 files to .ts didn't work... I had forgotten to mention it.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post

The best remedy for APE errors is - convert them to FLAC. .
Or WavPack lossless.

Old 02-07-2011, 12:55 PM

Nothing besides Rockbox (and the crappy Cowon O2/V5) plays WP. Almost any quality player supports FLAC.

WP is a great format for recording, I use it on my Rockboxed X5 for recording the jam sessions of my band - but for long term archiving and best portable compatibility it's still FLAC that got the most appeal. Either way, WP sure is the second best lossless codec out there, way better in features and performance than APE, for example.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
Nothing besides Rockbox (and the crappy Cowon O2/V5) plays WP. Almost any quality player supports FLAC.

WP is a great format for recording, I use it on my Rockboxed X5 for recording the jam sessions of my band - but for long term archiving and best portable compatibility it's still FLAC that got the most appeal. Either way, WP sure is the second best lossless codec out there, way better in features and performance than APE, for example.
I actually like my O2...a lot. I don't know what I'd get if it ever died on me.
I really hate that Cowon dropped wv support after the V5. I almost never use wavpack lossless so I can't comment I use wavpack lossy at 500 or 600 kbps on my computer.

Tags
ape, compressibility, error, firmware