android
Old 02-02-2011, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
With the EQ off both are equal ...
That's all I was saying and you know I'm not an apple fan, no need to test them as I already have. No apple for me and his purchase was against my advice but he's happy ...

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-02-2011, 08:01 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I'm only referring to the stock SQ when the EQ is on,...the touch/iPhone's ONLY weakness. If it had a custom EQ (ala' iTunes) the damn things wouldn't need an added app to get real EXCELLENT SQ. That's why I said what I've said about the Cowon players.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
That's all I was saying and you know I'm not an apple fan, no need to test them as I already have. No apple for me and his purchase was against my advice but he's happy ...
can't you like... disown him? or tell him the amount he had to pay for the itouch will be subtracted from his legal portion?

there must be some kind of punishment for his insubordination.

Black Cowon J3 32 GB (Black Ringke Case) - no lousy Sennheiser CX 300 anymore, Pana HJE 900 took the throne... for keeps

Old 02-02-2011, 08:15 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

Quote:
I'm only referring to the stock SQ when the EQ is on,...the touch/iPhone's ONLY weakness. If it had a custom EQ (ala' iTunes) the damn things wouldn't need an added app to get real EXCELLENT SQ. That's why I said what I've said about the Cowon players.
Trust me on this: The aded equalizer app is well worth it and IMO is an iPod Touch owner's wet dream. EQu is that good. I compared my iPod Touch with EQu turned with a Cowon J3 with MACH Bass and the Cowon player edged it out a trifle in the SQ department. (oO my ears of course)

I am still going to get one of the Cowon players, however, and I am zeroing in on the X7. Once B&H Photo has it available for display I will try it out. If the resistive screen is not all that bad, I will get it in a heart beat. If not, I will probably go with the J3.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:19 PM

Do yourself a favor and go J3, as much as I love cowon's I'd pass on the x7

Old 02-02-2011, 10:33 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
Do yourself a favor and go J3, as much as I love cowon's I'd pass on the x7
Yes, that's the avenue I might take. I just want to wait for the X7 to hit B&M so I can compare them side by side.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:40 AM
Contributing Editor

Either way, taking SQ out of the mix, this is overpriced by far. Like it or not, the iTouch is the top dog. Cowon is an underground media player for audio snobs. I have said before that Cowon is killing themselves in most of the world for how horrible they market and segment their products. Not that everyone needs to know about Cowon, but if you're the best (which they are in many aspects), it would be nice for people to know it.

The price has to be competitive and comparable. Get this D3 into store shelves at Best Buy, slap the Android tag on it and do just a little marketing. Focus on the SQ angle. Any gadget site knows about them, but consumers don't. They may do well in Korea, but there is a big world to conquer. And like it or not, the US and Europe do start trends.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:00 AM

The ipod and iphone have parametric EQ apps? That's great. Other than being forced to use itunes (which I hate), that's the one major negative I had with Apple PMPs. I had assumed Apple had locked down the EQ and that's why there were no EQ apps - stupid assumption on my part.

Good luck to Cowon with the D3...

Old 02-03-2011, 09:16 AM

For clarification, EQu is a 3rd party EQ, it's not made by Apple. Shigzeo reviewed it: http://www.touchmyapps.com/2010/12/2...ectly-tweaked/

Old 02-03-2011, 09:38 AM

Actually, I rarely used the EQ when I had my Cowon players, I just kept the BBE set between 3-5 and a little MachBass. But the EQ I always kept flat. And it still sounds better than the iPod.

However Cowon players always come with all the enhancements and a EQ preset turned on right out of the box. And when compared with the Ipod or Zune, it sounds light years ahead of them. I don't think its fair to compare them without the enhancments turned on, because its a part of the player! You just have the ability to control it.
It isn't fair to compare the players without considering their fullest potentials.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasrhp
The price has to be competitive and comparable. Get this D3 into store shelves at Best Buy, slap the Android tag on it and do just a little marketing. Focus on the SQ angle. Any gadget site knows about them, but consumers don't. They may do well in Korea, but there is a big world to conquer. And like it or not, the US and Europe do start trends.
As long as all the marketing doesn't mean less focus towards the quality of the product. I have bad experiences with that, eh.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:00 PM
Ultra Senior Member

@musichound: Please let me know when you plan on hitting B&H in the city, if we can get together on a Fri or Sat it'd be great!!! I agree w/WG about going w/the J3 tho, but I'd like to demo an X7 myself. And, if I have my Archos 70 by then you can give it a spin as well.

Let me know,...

Old 02-03-2011, 09:30 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

Quote:
@musichound: Please let me know when you plan on hitting B&H in the city, if we can get together on a Fri or Sat it'd be great!!! I agree w/WG about going w/the J3 tho, but I'd like to demo an X7 myself. And, if I have my Archos 70 by then you can give it a spin as well.

Let me know,...
Sounds good, I'll let you know.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
... EQu is a 3rd party EQ, it's not made by Apple. Shigzeo reviewed it: http://www.touchmyapps.com/2010/12/2...ectly-tweaked/
Nice review & read but in the end he gave up his rockboxed ipod, credibility loss for me. Dem will have to pry my rockboxed sansa's from my cold dead hands

Old 02-05-2011, 09:27 AM

Quote:

Let me know,...
you guys able to see each other!!! ... Im stuck out here with all the people who have no idea what cowon is! So jealous! lol!
Or this: A glossary for newbies
-Stuart, Twitter

Old 02-05-2011, 11:14 AM
Ultra Senior Member

You're always welcome to contact us if you ever make it to NYC copeys,...you know that.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:18 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I knew CNET wouldn't let us down....
(Donald Bell can be so wrong about things sometimes....he disses the tactile buttons!)

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-...ubj=MP3Insider

Old 02-08-2011, 02:44 AM

Hmm. I think that review is full of his own biased opinions. Would rather wait until a more respectable reviewer does a review.
*cough*ABI*cough*
Or this: A glossary for newbies
-Stuart, Twitter

Old 02-08-2011, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Why on earth did Cowon decide to include dedicated playback buttons on the side of the device? You can barely see what the buttons are. They're just there to punish you every time you hold the device too firmly, triggering what is sure to be the most embarrassing song in your collection.
Donald Bell is always good for a chuckle. I bet he has a limited edition iPhone with the volume buttons removed.

He doesn't "see" what the buttons are? Awww, poor Donald, he should take the two week intensive learning course to remember what the five buttons do. I never triggered anything by accident on my J3 (same button layout as the D3, basically) - but maybe my fingers aren't as fat as his.

I love those kinds of reviews that get churned out after the guy spent a whole five minutes with the device...

Old 02-08-2011, 07:17 AM

that guy makes me seriously angry. he doesn't know squat shit.

he's wondering about tactile buttons... i guess too much options and more than two buttons make him feel uneasy and create an uncomfortable atmosphere.

and then he can't even tell an OLED from AMOLED, how poor is that?

complaing about proprietary cables is also outworldish, 30-pin connector anyone (although complaining about proprietary in general is ok)

Black Cowon J3 32 GB (Black Ringke Case) - no lousy Sennheiser CX 300 anymore, Pana HJE 900 took the throne... for keeps