android
Old 02-07-2011, 05:46 PM

Default e280 v.1: New problem with Rhapsody

Been using my e280 (not "R") v.1 with Rhapsody for quite some time now, transferring files to go, no problem.

Today, when I connected to Rhapsody (MTP mode), the Rhapsody program recognized the player for a second or two, then it "disappeared" from the Rhapsody menu, and the player froze up.

I was able to reboot the player after I disconnected it and it plays fine (including my previously-transferred Rhapsody files). I'm also able to connect to Windows in MSC mode just fine. Repeated the Rhapsody connection a couple of times, same result: disappears from the menu, player freezes, reboot it and it's fine.

Since it's just happened all of a sudden, I went to Rhapsody (thinking it might have been caused by some change on their end) and spent a good 30 minutes on chat with a Rhapsody tech. It was impossible for him to do much diagnosis, since the player disappears from the Rhapsody menu so quickly. But we did reconnect several times with the same result each time.

On one occasion, I was able to quickly get it to produce the Device Compatability report before vanishing. It said that everything was fine, that it was properly licensed, etc., but we did get one error message out of it: "This device's secure clock failed the status request. Error codes: 0x1, 0xc00d2772." I have no idea whether that is the source of the problem (as far as I can tell, that would only affect the expiration date of licensed tracks), but I can't even try to use the Rhapsody interface to fix that, since the player won't stay connected long enough.

Anyone have a similar experience? Is there a way to address the secure clock via Windows, since that connection works? Though as I say, I have no idea if that's the actual problem.

Absent another suggestion, I'll just delete the music files and reinstall the firmware, to see if that fixes it, but I'd love to know more about what's going on first.

Last edited by tbb007; 02-07-2011 at 06:06 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-07-2011, 07:25 PM

I don't use Rhapsody so I couldn't say for sure but do have a e200 and other players, personally I haven't had the issue but have seen how easily one corrupted file mess up others players, requiring formatting the player and reinstall the firmware, so I think you're on the right track with trying to reinstall fw. Follow up and let us know if it worked ...

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 02-07-2011, 08:25 PM
Administrator

When I feed that error code -0xc00d2772- into Google the first spot it brings me to is back here. This thread has some information and a solution. Formatting seems to be the way to go. Considering the solution is part of Rhapsody's Knowledge Base it's strange their customer service couldn't help you.

Old 02-08-2011, 03:20 PM

Well, to be fair to the tech, he was trying to help me solve the actual problem. I didn't ask him for help reinstalling the firmware; I've had to do that a couple times before (though in going on four years with the e280, that's really not too bad).

I'll wait till I have some free time on the weekend to reinstall the firmware. As I say, it plays just fine, and I can transfer files with Windows, but Rhapsody has the soundtrack to Winter's Bone that I'm itching to transfer.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:51 AM

Problem solved:

When I was deleting music files in preparation for formatting the disk/reinstalling the firmware, I discovered some massively corrupt files in one folder (I have a vague memory of accidentally unplugging the player a while back without "safely removing," but the player kept working just fine, despite the evident corruption).

After the format, the corrupt files were gone, but I didn't need to reinstall the firmware or anything: all the system folders were intact. I just put my other music files back on, and it's now merrily transferring from Rhapsody as I type this.

Love this player for a variety of reasons, but a key one is how relatively easy it is to diagnose/fix problems (at least compared to most similar devices). I've twice rockboxed it, only to have it die in mid-song within a few hours. In both cases, with a bit of online research, I was able to restore what looked like a complete brick (though I've decided not to push my luck on any more rockboxing).

Old 02-09-2011, 10:56 AM

Good to hear and like you said no need to reinstall the fw if it was file corruption but I've seen where the fw was corrupted which would require it.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc