android
Old 11-29-2010, 12:15 PM
Samsung Moderator

Default U6 Firmware 1.09

Hey,
Not sure there are many U6 users here but there is a new firmware for you

Download firmware 1.09 (you can also download it in attachment)

Improvements
-Fix noise when you insert earphones
-Fix the issue with large album art files
-USB devices to the buffer at "Fully charged" so that the modified text representation (? google translation)

How to upgrade firmware: Download the firmware, extract the archive, put the YP-U6.ROM file at the root of your player (the root is where all main folders are: music, video, system, pictures etc...), disconnect the player. Turn it on, it will automatically upgrade the firmware. You can check the firmware version in settings>system>about.
Attached Files
File Type: zip YP-U6V1.09.zip (18.20 MB, 115 views)

Last edited by lebellium; 01-05-2011 at 05:19 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-30-2010, 05:07 AM

Here is the improvement list:
- Fix the noise occur when earphone connect to a player

- Fix the lock-up error due to big size album art

- Display ''Fully charged'' on LCD when battery charge is completed.

Old 12-02-2010, 02:08 PM

I was not able to reinstall the firmware from v1.05 to 1.09, after removing the player starts the installation process and the player is turned off, but after the launch and view information about the system there is still says that the current firmware version 1.05. Called the help desk, they said that did not know what it is, perhaps version 1.09 posted in the official site, ill: (I'm in shock ...

Old 12-02-2010, 02:13 PM
Samsung Moderator

Hum...
Try this download link instead:
http://org.downloadcenter.samsung.co...YP-U6V1.09.zip

Old 12-02-2010, 02:22 PM

O'K. I'll try of course, but not sure what will happen since I downloaded it on the proposed link you to the Korean site and download it from the Russian site SAMSUNG, the results are identical ...I apologize for my clumsy English, but I do not speak - I use a translator Google O_O

Thanks a lot! Everything turned out, visually, in principle, nothing has changed, but I am very glad that there was a crisis and the new firmware into place. Once again, thanks for the help))

Last edited by mff21; 12-02-2010 at 02:40 PM.

Old 12-02-2010, 04:22 PM
Samsung Moderator

You're welcome

I guess they uploaded the wrong file and they reuploaded fw 1.09 today.

That's normal there is no visible improvement, only some minor bugs are fixed

Old 01-05-2011, 06:55 PM

I HAVE A BIG PROBLEM WITH FIRMWARE 1.09!!! THE START MENU IS ALWAYS IN FRENCH, NO MATTER WHAT I DO IN THE LANGUAGE SETTINGS. HOW CAN I RESOLVE THE PROBLEM? CAN I DOWNGRADE THE FIRMWARE? PLEASE, I NEED HELP......

Old 01-05-2011, 07:09 PM
Samsung Moderator

What do you mean by "start menu"? The home/main menu?
I don't have a U6 yet but it may be like on the Q3: the main menu is in French in FR region code.
Check your region code in settings ("paramètres" in French)>system>about.
If it is written 1.09 FR, then put this file at the root of your U6 (where all main folders are: music, playlists, system etc...)

PS: please don't write in capital letter

Old 01-06-2011, 06:37 AM

Thank you very much for your help. Yes, I meant the main menu...

I'll try it later. Hope it works...

Old 01-06-2011, 06:36 PM

It worked!!!

Thank you again, lebellium!!!

Old 01-06-2011, 06:42 PM
Samsung Moderator

Cool, you're welcome

Old 02-07-2011, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebellium View Post
What do you mean by "start menu"? The home/main menu?
I don't have a U6 yet but it may be like on the Q3: the main menu is in French in FR region code.
Check your region code in settings ("paramètres" in French)>system>about.
If it is written 1.09 FR, then put this file at the root of your U6 (where all main folders are: music, playlists, system etc...)
I had the same issue with the player showing the main menu in French even when I selected English language for the menus in the device settings. The main menu is the one with some graphics for each option and you can select between Music/FM Radio/Fitness/Voice Rec/My files/Settings. I checked from the System/About the version and it was VER 1.09 FR-XY-ABC. I cannot remember what those XY-ABC were.

I then tried to update the firmware with the rom that was on Samsung UK page. The updating went fine, but that did not change the version to anything else.. it was still a FR.

Next I tried that config.dat file. What happened is that it reseted all the settings, and changed the language to Korean. Now the System/About shows the version as VER 1.09 KR-00-JK3. This Korean version has the main menu in English, and I can change the other menus to English also. What's bad is that now I lost the radio RDS settings and it disabled RDS, and I also lost the USB mode menu.

Any idea what the config.dat file should contain to really change the device to European region? Now it seemed like the config file reset the device to some default configuration which seems to be Korean.

Edit: I bought mine from Pixmania and it is not specified there which region the player is.

Last edited by Kermie; 02-07-2011 at 02:57 PM.

Old 02-07-2011, 03:02 PM
Samsung Moderator

I just checked the file, it's the right one for EU region so I don't understand why it turned to KR
Try again maybe

Old 02-08-2011, 05:56 AM

Kermie
If you do not work, then I can put the Russian firmware, it all languages are freely available ...

Old 02-10-2011, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebellium View Post
I just checked the file, it's the right one for EU region so I don't understand why it turned to KR
Try again maybe
Interesting.. I tried to copy the file again from the link and put it on the device. Now after unplugging the device it said Updating.. then it restarted itself, and it was in the Popcon menu (heh, Pixmania describes that as PopcoRn mode :*)) where you need to select the dumb avatar thing and give name for it. This time the device did not change its language, but it reseted all the settings and wiped playlists, but now the about menu says its VER 1.09 EU-00-JK3, and the RDS and USB mode menus are back again

Hard to say what went wrong the first time (actually two first times.. I tried twice). There was a config.dat~ file on the device having the same contents than the file you linked, except that there was on extra carriage return/line feed in that file. That ~ file was the result of me looking at the file with Vim editor. Maybe the device didn't like that backup file or maybe I had added there that extra linefeed.. hard to say... but at least your config file seems to be valid. Thanks

So far the device has been working fine and feels like a good buy.

The PC software that came with the device was rather abysmal as it failed to install on my Windows 7. I then tried to download it from a Samsung page and when it finally installed.. it said it does not support the device . I can still drag and drop the files there so that's no big deal. I don't know yet how to make playlists for the device by hand outside the device. There's 5 predefined lists in the device but those files are empty even when you have added tracks to them.

What comes to the device.. I don't know what they have had in their mind with the Popcon feature. When you play songs, that Popcon avatar takes third of the small display. Do I want to watch a dancing bear or some weird nosemonster next to the track information.. no. I'd rather stretch the track information to cover the whole display or put a clock there instead of the popcon character. You can set clock time in the device, but I didnt figure out any easy way to view it other than going to the settings. It wouldn't hurt if it was visible in the main menu. They could redesign the menus a bit.. there's that my-button thing you can select to do one custom thing. When you are playing a song, you can make the button to repeat track/album/normal/shuffle or you can make it switch between different audio modes (custom eq, normal, some predefined modes) but you cannot do both of these things. The best would have been if they had added a few more buttons to the side of the device.. but this is again not a very big deal. The text scrolling speed could be doubled.. now it moves painfully slow. So when you browse the folders in your device and happen to have the files named as artist_album_track_name or album_track_name, it takes ages before you see the actual track name. It's faster to start playing a track since it then show the ID3 track name immediately and skip tracks in that play mode until you find the right one.

The equalizer and bass control is nice to have in the device and you can get pretty good sound from the device with Sennheiser PX 100 II headphones.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:07 AM
Samsung Moderator

Glad to hear it finally worked

It's strange the U6 is not recognized by Kies. What's your Kies version?

To make playlists from PC you can use m3u format in Winamp and then use this online converter for example: http://www.magmagateau.com/_TOOLS/pmp/samsung/
I also suggest you to read this post: http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...2&postcount=59 (but the U6 should not be compatible with the U6)

Regarding the popcon, well, Koreans don't like the same interface as in Europe or USA. But if album arts were embedded in your mp3 files, the popcon would be replaced by the album art. That's the point!

The clock can normally be set as screen saver

Old 08-18-2011, 03:19 PM

Hello All,

Just joined. I am enjoying my new U6, but about that screensaver. I cannot get mine to come up. I am listening to an mp3 and have it set to go to the clock after 15 seconds but it does not go. I have checked the other screensavers and also, it is a no go. I did do the firmware upgrade first thing so I have no point of comparison. Anyone else having problems invoking the screensaver?

Old 08-18-2011, 06:17 PM
Samsung Moderator

Hi,
The screensaver will only show up once the display turns off. So it depends on display off time you set.
Moreover screensavers only display intermittently so wait a few seconds and you'll see it

Old 08-19-2011, 09:46 AM

Default Thank you.

Hello,

Thank you for that, it worked like a charm. I was afraid that maybe I got a bad player.

Cheers.

Old 10-04-2011, 06:32 AM

Hello,
First of all, thank you lebellium for your review and your tip on how to change the area. It helped me deciding to buy the player and have a decent volume.
Regarding the previous post, i did not understand how you display the screen saver?
I did the firmware upgrade and placed the EU zone config.dat.
I checked that "about" indicates EU.
I saved the clock as screen saver and set the display off time to 15 sec.
When I wait 15 sec, the screen does turn off, but no screen saver ever comes up. The screen is always dark.
How come?

thanks for any insight!

PS : does someone know also if it is possible to hack the player into decreasing the volume of the turn on/turn off melody?
Because it's always louder than my music files, and when i turn off the player it is really annoying...

Tags
1.09, firmware, samsung, u6, yp-u6