android
Old 02-10-2011, 11:39 AM

Default managing podcasts in Rockbox (preferably using winamp)

I just got my Clip+ and installed Rockbox.
I am now somewhat puzzled about how to manage my podcast subscriptions. I hope someone here can help me as I have been looking around for some time now for a solution (yes I even checked the manual )

I use Winamp to manage music on my computer, and it has nice features to put music on the Clip+, and download podcasts. It will even sync the latest podcasts to the Clip+ and make a playlist of them. So far so good ... however when I try to find this playlist on the Clip+ it does not show up. Searching through the files I find the actually podcasts, but not nicely sorted from the rest of my music as I would like.

I do find a file named podcast.pla that I assume is the playlist winamp created, but it will not play.

If I boot the Clip+ in the original firmware I do find a playlist named 'Podcasts' containing the podcasts, but I would really prefer using Rockbox.

Does anyone know how to make this work? What I want is just some kind of playlist or submenu that syncs with my podcasts.

Maybe Winamp is just not the right program to use for podcasts with Rockbox, but then perhaps you can recommend some other program?

Last edited by Guut Boy; 02-10-2011 at 11:56 AM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-10-2011, 12:17 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Why do you need to make a playlist of your podcasts?

Old 02-11-2011, 02:19 AM

Well It doesn't have to be a playlist. A playlist could just be one way of getting what I want:

I just want some easy way of telling my podcasts from the rest of my music.
There is no such a view in the database. And the podcasts are not automatically sorted into a seperate folder in the filesystem.

I guess the problem is that Winamp does not work well with Rockbox (when it comes to podcasts at least). The way Winamp seems to work is to treat the podcasts as any other track. It then seperates them from the other tracks by making a playlist of them. That playlist however is somehow not readable to Rockbox.

Old 02-11-2011, 02:58 AM

If you are asking why would I want to do something like that in the first place there are a number of reasons:
1) As I listen to many podcasts I need them to be managed automatically in some way. Sorting them manually into folders is not really an option.
2) The podcasts I subscribe to are oftenly quite poorly tagged, so just finding tracks using the database and searches is not an option either.
3) As podcasts are downloaded and synced to the Clip automatically I am usually not aware if new podcasts has been put onto the device or not. So even if each podcast was tagged nicely or sorted in to a seperate folder it would be nice to have just one place to look for new podcasts.

Old 02-11-2011, 02:05 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Rockbox uses m3u format playlists, which is actually a format developed by Winamp. But it sounds like the problem here is that whatever automatic sync program you're using doesn't understand that rockbox uses m3u and isn't using it.

Old 02-11-2011, 02:27 PM

That is quite strange because I use winamp to sync. For some reason they chose not to use their own format apparently.

I am starting to think that the best solution might be to make a Custom View for the database.

Last edited by Guut Boy; 02-12-2011 at 09:15 AM. Reason: spelling

Old 02-14-2011, 06:36 AM

Ok, so I found out what I was doing wrong:

To make this work you need to use MSC mode instead of MTP. In MSC mode Winamp views the player as a USB drive instead of as a Sansa Clip+. In winamp you then need to right click the drive and chose preferences. Here you can tell winamp where (and in what format) it should put your music and playlists on the drive (This is not possible in MTP mode). You can also tell it how you want to sync your podcasts. Now when winamp syncs the podcasts it will add a playlist to the drive with all the podcasts. Winamp also does this in MTP mode, but when in MSC mode the playlist is now in .m3u format (which can be read by Rockbox) and not .pla format (which can not).