android
Old 12-19-2010, 01:13 AM

Default Can themes change the menu screens?

The manual says that themes "typically changes the WPS." Does that mean that some of the themes change other screens? I'm looking for a larger font on the menu and directory screens--I don't care that much about the WPS.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-19-2010, 04:44 AM

Yep - you can change the fonts more or less throughout (not everywhere, mind - for example many games have hard-coded fonts, which you would need to recompile to change). You don't even need to use a different theme - just find the theme's configuration with a text editor, and it's pretty much self-explanatory to switch fonts.

Old 12-23-2010, 01:04 PM

Thanks for the info. It really is almost self-explanatory.

Two questions:

Can I edit the config file with notepad? The config file shows up in Notepad with square boxes separating the entries-- I assume the boxes stand for some undisplayable character, but can I trust Notepad not to mess up the formatting of the file?

Is there an easy way to undo it if I screw up somehow and make all the screens unreadable?

Old 12-23-2010, 01:42 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicOnly View Post
Can I edit the config file with notepad? The config file shows up in Notepad with square boxes separating the entries-- I assume the boxes stand for some undisplayable character, but can I trust Notepad not to mess up the formatting of the file?
I have no idea what notepad does, but if it can't display all the characters in a text file its probably not a good idea to use it. Try notepad++.

Quote:
Is there an easy way to undo it if I screw up somehow and make all the screens unreadable?
Just download the theme again.

Old 12-25-2010, 07:13 PM

Thanks for the tip on Notepad++. I was unaware of its existence.

I replaced 08 Schumacher Clean with 10 Adobe Helvetica. When I rebooted into Rockbox, the typeface on the menus had changed but the size hadn't. I tried 12 Adobe Helvetica, just to check, but got the same result. (I assume the numbers at the beginning of the font names are point sizes.)

So. . .does anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Old 12-26-2010, 03:30 PM

Wait a minute... Do you only want to change the font? You don't have to edit any files. Just go to Settings > Theme Settings > Font.

Old 12-26-2010, 08:35 PM

That worked, thanks!

I also tried using the Rockbox installer utility to install a couple of themes (Readability and fep). Readability didn't show up on the on-screen list of themes or in the .rockbox directory; fep showed up in both places but when I selected it nothing changed on the wps.

I tried running the installer to update rockbox. Now fep is applied to the wps, but Readability is still nowhere to be found.

I'm confused. . .

Old 02-14-2011, 05:29 PM

Quote:
That worked, thanks!

I also tried using the Rockbox installer utility to install a couple of themes (Readability and fep). Readability didn't show up on the on-screen list of themes or in the .rockbox directory; fep showed up in both places but when I selected it nothing changed on the wps.

I tried running the installer to update rockbox. Now fep is applied to the wps, but Readability is still nowhere to be found.

I'm confused. . .
You shouldn't be. Your answer is here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carson Dyle View Post
Wait a minute... Do you only want to change the font? You don't have to edit any files. Just go to Settings > Theme Settings > Font.