android
Old 02-12-2011, 04:31 AM

Default Official Firmware theme?

I rockboxed my Clip+ yesterday, and I'm loving every inch of it so far; well, maybe not EVERY inch.

I didn't like the default rockbox theme nor the ones you can select from the themes menu. Question is, is it possible to get a theme close to what you get on the OF?

Thanks!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-12-2011, 05:58 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Well, you could always make your own. Only part of the beauty of Rockbox.
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 02-12-2011, 09:41 AM
Ultra Senior Member

But first you might want to check out the 36 user-created themes already available for the Clip+. The one named "Classic" is, I believe, the kind of thing you're looking for. The recommended way of installing a theme from this collection is via Rockbox Utility (under the "Extras" tab), but you can do it manually as well.

Old 02-13-2011, 06:02 AM

Funny, I find that the UI is one of the main selling points of Rockbox. To each his own I suppose .

Old 02-13-2011, 09:27 AM

Speaking of themes, and I do not mean to hijack your thread, but it might be better to ask here than to start a new one. If I want to create a theme or even download a theme, do I have to have Rockbox installed or can I just download a theme and apply it to the player (a Fuze) ?

Old 02-13-2011, 09:37 AM

Not sure I understand your question correctly, but yes - these themes of course only work with Rockbox, not the stock Sandisk firmware.

Old 02-13-2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
Not sure I understand your question correctly, but yes - these themes of course only work with Rockbox, not the stock Sandisk firmware.
I understand now that if I chose one of those themes, I first have to install Rockbox. What I am trying to understand is whether or not I could just access the icon files and replace them without downloading additional firmware. The only player I have themed before was a rockchip player about 2 years ago. I had a step by step guide, and if I remember correctly, it only required a lot guessing at what pictures applied to what items on the player, resizing, and cutting and pasting images.

I do not mind the UI of the Fuze, I just do not like the icons. If I can just replace those, it would cool.

Old 02-13-2011, 03:03 PM

Rockbox icons are in plain BMP format, very easy to replace.

Here's the official icon gallery: http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/IconSets
Here's how to create your own: http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/CustomIcons

Old 02-13-2011, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
Rockbox icons are in plain BMP format, very easy to replace.

Here's the official icon gallery: http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/IconSets
Here's how to create your own: http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/CustomIcons

Thanks!

Old 02-13-2011, 07:42 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Keeper, are you trying to replace the icons in the original (non-Rockbox) Fuze firmware? Just to be clear, dfkt's response only applies to the icons in Rockbox. I'm not aware of any way to reskin the Sansa firmware, even "basic" aspects of it.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:32 AM

@lestatar
Probably; but I liked the transitions in the OF. Plus the clean menu layout.

@epithetless
Thank you! Yes, I did try installing manually, but something went wrong. Using the rockbox utility I installed Classic, and yes the Now Playing screen looks nice. The rest of the menu is still ugly in my eyes though. All the themes I liked have this ugly multicolored font in the top, where the blue and yellow gets mixed in half.

Perhaps I should spend sometime and design something to my taste.

And dftk, that theme of yours, ouch! I'm a fan of minimalism and I can't see myself having the screen cluttered. No offense mate.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:36 AM

That's the great thing about freedom of choice: Nobody forces you to use my theme.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:48 AM

About the blue/yellow font thing: I could be wrong, but I think that is just how the screen looks.

One thing that improved the UI a lot in my opinion was to turn of the icons and to reduce the 'scroll bar' to the smallest width were the slider is still visible (width 4). If you havent done that already you might want try that if you are a fan of minimalism.

I use the informative beauty theme. It is nice and clean I think.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:04 AM

@Guut Boy
Thanks, I will try that. I see I had to restart the player to get the proper look. The layout's all fine now.

I have a question, doesn't the ''Recently added' option under rockbox work? It pulls up a blank screen when I try that. Its a feature I use alot; I'm using the OF just to use that

Old 02-14-2011, 03:24 PM

You might need to refresh the database, or what ever it is called (I am new to this stuff to ). I think there is a setting to have Rockbox do it automatically but it is turned off by default. I am not sure why you would want that though.

Old 02-15-2011, 03:42 AM

Just for the sake of it, I installed dftk's theme. Shucks, now I'm in love with it xD So much happening even though its not minimal