android
Go Back   abi>>forums > Miscellaneous Tech > Anythingbutiphone > Windows Phones

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-15-2011, 10:58 AM
Anythingbutiphone Moderator

Quote:
-I forget where I read it, but a Microsoft exec came out pretty quickly after the keynote to say they would not be charging for the Fall update either. That free was bad wording. I couldn't imagine they would charge for it considering they would the the ONLY mobile OS to do that.
Oh, I'm aware that current updates are free. My fear is that when Chassis 2 phones come out (likely this fall at the earliest), that updates for Chassis 1 phones won't be free. And while updates are usually free for the customer for smart phones, it's not true for every mobile OS. Just look at the iPod Touch. They used to charge $10 per update, though I don't know if that was true for iOS 4. Again, disclaimer, this is purely pessimistic speculation with no evidence at this time. I don't want anyone making the claim that I am predicting that MS will charge for updates.

Quote:
-Yes, IE9 looks amazing. As it stands now, the current IE mobile browser isn't up to competition. It is good, and pretty smooth. Just outclassed.
It's certainly sufficient (the existing browser). I was impressed with how well it performs relative to Apple and Google. But, IE9 is just in a whole new world when compared to the other browsers. But, we're talking fall 2011 by the time it comes out. By then we'll have iOS5, and Android phones should be launching with Android 2.4 or higher.

Also, the update coincides with when phones using Chassis 2 should launch. My annual upgrade option opens up in September or October, and my New Every 2 is available in April 2012 (in either case, my last one due to Verizon's recent changes). At this point in time, it looks like my next upgrade will still be Android unless MS opens up the OS a bit. I do NOT want to be tied to specific software (iTunes, Zune) anymore. I also like being able to use a file manager to manage files on the device as well as to access my home network and access/manage files there. Without this option, neither the iPhone or WP7 appeal to me.