android
Old 02-14-2011, 03:25 PM

Default Samsung Galaxy WiFi 5.0

Realizing that the Galaxy Player was not up to snuff, Samsung has released a mini tablet called the Galazy WiFi 5.0.
Looks interesting. If they can keep the price down, I will totally pick one up.

Engadget:
http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/14/s...w-android-pmp/

http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/14/s...ands-on-video/

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-14-2011, 03:32 PM
Banned

Good...but screen is TFT. My Galaxy S with S-AMOLED will serve me better.

Even the Galaxy WiFi 4.0 is a no go with that SLCD screen.

Old 02-14-2011, 03:48 PM

Meh, I think the whole lcd vs amoled argument is overplayed. Unless they are side by side I for one can't tell the difference. As long as the screen is bright and sharp I'm not bothered about the technology behind it.

The show stopper is the lack of 3g. It's just so handy to not have to worry about finding a hotspot. It's also maybe a little big considering the capabilities it has... It's borderline tablet territory.

Still, this will be an awesome device for someone!

Old 02-14-2011, 04:01 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I gotta agree, SLCD vs AMOLED really just means slightly blacker blacks - no reason to pass over this for that reason. The 4.0 & 5.0 both look like really nice entries into the dap/pmp sector - IF they ever get released outside of the Korean market.

The only thing stupid about these is Samsung's shitty marketing, and that's about it.

Old 02-14-2011, 04:44 PM
Samsung Moderator

Quote:
the YP-MB2 / Galaxy Player 50 is now formally known as the Galaxy S WiFi 4.0
As usual, Engadget doesn't know what it is talking about...<_<

I only know the Samsung France roadmap but hope you'll get it in the USA guys

Old 02-14-2011, 05:04 PM

I'm pretty sure the Samsung Galaxy S Wifi 4.0 is just the Galaxy Player (YP-GB1) with a different name. All of the specs I could find were the same. It is still called the Galaxy Player at Samsung's Korean site, but maybe they plan to call it the Samsung Galaxy S Wifi 4.0 if they release it in other countries. This is just speculation on my part of course. It's very interesting though. As far as the 5.0 goes. I wouldn't really be interested in a PMP that big. It will definitely interest some people though. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Old 02-14-2011, 05:04 PM
Samsung Moderator

The Galaxy Wifi 4 is a GB1 without the DMB feature to be released outside Korea

Old 02-14-2011, 06:30 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebellium View Post
The Galaxy Wifi 4 is a GB1 without the DMB feature to be released outside Korea
Thank you sir!!!

Old 02-14-2011, 07:04 PM

The 5.0 looks great. It's super... fantastic even.

Now will I actually be able to buy one in Canada? Or is this just another in a long line of products that I want to purchase but can't? Because so far no-one apparently wants my money.

Old 02-15-2011, 05:48 AM

Frontpaged: http://anythingbutipod.com/2011/02/s...xy-s-wifi-5-0/

Old 02-15-2011, 11:08 AM

Looks pretty good, though the 5 inch screen is an instant deal breaker. It's too big, and like someone else already mentioned, with a 5 inch screen, it's a borderline tablet.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:51 AM

It looks like Samsung also has a 4 inch version coming out, which is a way better screen size, at least for me.

http://www.reghardware.com/2011/02/1...laxy_s_wifi_4/

I'm actually really excited about this! This looks like the very first device that can go head to head with the iPod Touch. And unlike the Zune HD, with Android 2.2, it already has a great app store out of the box. Pricing hasn't yet been announced, but so far, this is looking like how an "iPod Touch killer" should be done.

Last edited by Darkhyperchaos; 02-15-2011 at 01:49 PM.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:04 PM
Ultra Senior Member

@Darkhyperchaos: the specs is good, but the price.... 16GB player will cost 459,000 won (US$415) , it`s far more expensive than the 32gb of ipod touch

previously Samsung said the cost of AMOLED screen is high, but without AMOLED their player is still expensive

Old 02-18-2011, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_tumiwa View Post
previously Samsung said the cost of AMOLED screen is high, but without AMOLED their player is still expensive
You actually pay for other people's AMOLED screens too when buying your S-LCD and TFT devices... AMOLED are that expensive!

Old 02-19-2011, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_tumiwa View Post
@Darkhyperchaos: the specs is good, but the price.... 16GB player will cost 459,000 won (US$415) , it`s far more expensive than the 32gb of ipod touch
If it is around that price (400$ for 16GB), not only will I not get one, but it won't sell very well either. Right now, 16GB is not that much space, especially when a full-fledged app store is in the equation (Android Market). So paying that kind of money for the bare bones amount of memory will not work. I was realistically hoping for a price point like this:

8GB - 200$-230$ (Though for most people, 8GB is not even remotely enough space, and I think having a 8GB version of anything is pretty pointless)

16GB - 270$-300$

32GB - 330$-350$

Though if it was up to me, I Would only have 32GB and 64GB capacities, priced at 300$-330$ and 400$ respectively.

Also, I also would like to make it clear I'm talking about the 4 inch version, not the 5 inch, which I could see being a little more expensive. So all the numbers above are directed exclusively towards the 4 inch version.

If it indeed turns out to be that expensive, it'll just be thrown into the pile of failed iPod Touch competitors. This device has the specs, but it also needs to have a competitive price point.

Old 02-19-2011, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhyperchaos View Post
If it is around that price (400$ for 16GB), not only will I not get one, but it won't sell very well either. Right now, 16GB is not that much space, especially when a full-fledged app store is in the equation (Android Market). So paying that kind of money for the bare bones amount of memory will not work. I was realistically hoping for a price point like this:

8GB - 200$-230$ (Though for most people, 8GB is not even remotely enough space, and I think having a 8GB version of anything is pretty pointless)

16GB - 270$-300$

32GB - 330$-350$

Though if it was up to me, I Would only have 32GB and 64GB capacities, priced at 300$-330$ and 400$ respectively.

Also, I also would like to make it clear I'm talking about the 4 inch version, not the 5 inch, which I could see being a little more expensive. So all the numbers above are directed exclusively towards the 4 inch version.

If it indeed turns out to be that expensive, it'll just be thrown into the pile of failed iPod Touch competitors. This device has the specs, but it also needs to have a competitive price point.
I definitely agree with you on the price. With 16gb Zune HDs selling for $150, I won't pay over $250 for 16gb, even with way more apps, cameras, flash, and all that stuff. Upwards of 400 I might just get a phone without a contract. I agree on the 8gb size being pointles too, with firmware it'll be down to about five and a half anyway, and that's maybe an hour of hd video. Unless price is competitive people will opt for thinner devices with more established music capabilities and higher resolution screens. I don't know about the 5 inch being more expensive though. Even with a larger screen, price can be kept down while still maintaining features; its easier to fit all these features into a device with a so much larger chassis. Also, at 5 inches it runs the risk of becoming a niche type of product, too big to fit in the average pocket, not worth sticking in a backpack you could fit a notebook or laptop in. I'll certainly get one of these, if the price is low enough.

Old 02-20-2011, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Jackson View Post
Also, at 5 inches it runs the risk of becoming a niche type of product, too big to fit in the average pocket, not worth sticking in a backpack you could fit a notebook or laptop in.
That's why I'm glad there's going to be a 4 inch version, and why I would get the 4 inch version. The 5 inch is just too big for most people, as it doesn't even really fit into a pocket.

Old 02-28-2011, 03:05 PM

That price is ridicoulous. No matter how good a product is it can't sell well unless if it's competitively priced with the ipod touch. I wouldn't buy an ipod or any other pmp type product for over $400. Maybe that's just me. It's really unfortunate because I love everything else about this product (the 4.0) and if it had a decent price I would definitely buy it. Hopefully Samsung will realize they've made a mistake.

If anyone is interested in Samsung's official page for it here it is.
http://www.samsung.com/global/micros...ifi/index.html

Old 03-16-2011, 11:40 AM

http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/16/s...s-this-spring/

Old 03-16-2011, 11:42 AM
Samsung Moderator

Finally a good news for Americans

Normally I try both devices tomorrow

Closed Thread