android
Old 11-26-2010, 12:53 PM

@rohit3192 - there's a difference between not promoting something and actively resisting it though. I've seen a few too many loopholes which never get closed for me to believe any more that companies always and everywhere try to stop hackers, but that's just some schmuck on the interwebs' opinion, so there you go...

Most people here in the UK have never heard of Rockbox either. I've spoken to open source software advocates who'd never heard of it. It's plainly and simply a low profile project - I guess in part because compared to a computer's operating system, an mp3 player's is more transparent. Most users probably make little conceptual distinction between hardware and firmware, and it doesn't occur to them that they could use different firmware, any more than it occurs to them that they could lever out a few of the chips and put different ones in to see if it sounded better...

RaaA (Rockbox as an Application), on e.g. Android, will probably bring it to much greater prominence.

@JK98 - I've read that too, but I've yet to hear anyone claim it happened to them.

Last edited by Confuseling; 11-26-2010 at 03:56 PM. Reason: sense...

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-25-2010, 05:31 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Some are aware of Rockbox, but choose to avoid it. Aside from voiding Sandisk's warranty, there is a chance to brick a player by using Rockbox, or lose the ability to play protected files as a result of having Rockbox on a player. This loss might be permanent.
A quote from the Rockbox manual

"DRM capability.
It is possible that installation of the bootloader may lead to you per-
manently
losing the ability to playback files with DRM."

I can see why some might want to use Rockbox, however I can also see why many may choose to avoid it.

Old 12-25-2010, 08:58 PM

with 2 sansa E2xx and one Fuze (V2) rockboxed, and an 80gb ipod and an iRiver H300 all rockboxed and never having bricked one after many years of successful rockbox use, I thing the "brick fear" is overly paranoid. rockbox your compatible sansa!

Old 12-25-2010, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
there is a chance to brick a player by using Rockbox
This part is untrue as there have been no reported cases, the odds of a sansa bricking from Rockbox are the same as JK98 never talking about batteries, battery life, other annoying topics ever again.
Battle.net Tag: wuaffiliate#1677

Old 12-26-2010, 12:16 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I second the fact that I have yet to hear of ANYONE bricking a player w/Rockbox. I've screwed up many a player, and all I had to do was remove RB and the thing was back to 100% functionality. Really, JK98, get the facts straight, or provide links to back up your claims - that you make over, and over, and over, and over,...........again and again and again and again.

Old 01-05-2011, 11:56 AM

definately a fuze plus the fuze original is crap. I have owned 2 and both came to the same problem of the scroll wheel completely seizing up and becoming unusable

Old 01-05-2011, 12:01 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikee View Post
definately a fuze plus the fuze original is crap. I have owned 2 and both came to the same problem of the scroll wheel completely seizing up and becoming unusable
Interesting. I've got 2 original Fuzes, one is over 2 years old. The wheels on both work flawlessly. The Fuze+ went back because I judged it's busted firmware to be crap.

Old 01-05-2011, 02:01 PM

Well I have never used a fuze+ but the advantage is that there is no spinning wheel that jams when exposed to even the slightest bit of moisture. The fuze other than that is decent and the fuze + which you say has fw issues which sandisk will likely fix. Hopefully the fuze+ will get rockbox some day then I may buy it. As for my current fuze v1 I am trying to fix the wheel but if that fails I will likely spring for a clip +

Old 01-05-2011, 02:56 PM
Administrator

I had the Fuze+ and had to take it back. It wasn't a bad player when it was lightly loaded but once I got past 6-7 gigs worth of files it lagged so badly it became unusable. I'd like to think you're right about them fixing that with a firmware update but I losing confidence in that.

There have been at least 4 updates so far and none of them have addressed that in a meaningful way. The lagginess is still listed among the known issues. Considering that I know of at least 2 other people, plus me, that would pick one up today if they fixed that you think that would be at the top of the "to do" list.

Old 01-05-2011, 05:53 PM

ok the controls on my fuze just started doing what ever they want ie changing songs jumping through lists and what not all by itself so go with the fuze+ or clip+ That is now my final answer since this is my 2nd fuze to break in 4 months

Old 01-05-2011, 10:09 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Did you try downloading the firmware and installing it manually? Strange behavior might be due to the firmware in the player becoming corrupted.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:02 AM

ill try but it happens in rockbox and the OF

Old 01-06-2011, 12:01 PM

for what its worth, I am pretty abusive with my Fuze V2. No case. run in the shower with heavy mist. leave in pocket, car. spilled fluid on it. no problems with anything on it to date.

Old 01-06-2011, 12:33 PM

Fuze+ is not launched in India but I sold two units.People liked it.
Even receiving request to bring more in India.
At the end of the day it is user's choice.
Fuze+ sound is very good(I can't comment about Fuze as I never owned one but I feel sound of Fuze+ more crisp then my old clip).
Further as a package people liked RDS feature,good quality Radio,Screen is also better and touch feature is liked here.

Old 01-06-2011, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idivorceyou View Post
for what its worth, I am pretty abusive with my Fuze V2. No case. run in the shower with heavy mist. leave in pocket, car. spilled fluid on it. no problems with anything on it to date.
mine is a v1 so maybe the v2 is made slightly different

Old 01-07-2011, 01:20 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by idivorceyou View Post
Hmmm, that shower thing is surprising! Good for you, what with all that moisture
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 01-07-2011, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikee View Post
mine is a v1 so maybe the v2 is made slightly different
I have a version-one Fuze and do not have any problems with it.

Old 01-07-2011, 04:03 PM

must be my bad luck or just the fact that the 2 fuzes I have owned were refurbs but the one I have now with problems worked fine since I got it in august.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:56 AM

Actually what's so good about Rockbox? I tried the os but the playlist kinda messy and it sounds not as good as the original Fuze firmware. I meddled with the EQ settings but couldn't get what I want... So I'm back to the original fuze firmware.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:10 AM
Administrator

If it's not for you, it's not for you. I've spent some time setting things the way I want and enjoy it quite a bit. Personally, I have a slight imbalance in my hearing level between one ear and the other. The pan/balance feature brings that into line.

The Fuze is a really nice player with or without Rockbox. Enjoy yours.