android
Old 08-13-2007, 07:34 AM

Default Any auto genre tag programs out there?

Was blessed to get my hands on quite a few songs. Problem was the tags were a mess.

I have fixed everything properly except for genre. I'm having to manually change genre artist by artist. Very slow going.

Anyone know (or successfully use) a program that will insert genre automatically? Would be nice if it had an 'are you sure' or 'undo' or 'manual override' feature. I have searched google and here. The only one I've come accross is an 'add on' to MM - but it has no 'undo' feature if you disagree.

Mods: Was not certain where to list this and since I own several Creative's.... (please move it if you know of a more appropriate forum)

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-13-2007, 08:08 AM
Ultra Senior Member

You can use MediaTagger. It does mass tagging. Are the tracks from each artist in the same folder or in subfolders? If so, you can do the following:
  1. In the "Directory" tab, select the folder and click the button "Scan in Subfolders". It will show all the tracks from the artist;
  2. Select one of the tracks and press CTRL+A -- it will select all tracks;
  3. Select the ID3v2 tab. You'll see all the fields that can be edited, all dimmed;
  4. Click the field "Genre". It will be enabled;
  5. Select or type the genre you want;
  6. Click the floppy disk icon or press F2. It will re-tag all selected tracks with the genre you selected or typed.
There are other programs (MP3TagTools, for example), but that is the one I use.

Please, in the future, create all program related threads under the "Software" sub-forum.

Old 08-13-2007, 09:44 AM

All the songs with common genre's are not in the same folder. All folders have mixed genre's.

I'm looking for something that say... anaylzes the artist name and then chooses a 'consensus/ majority choice' genre for you.

Old 08-13-2007, 10:35 AM
Ultra Senior Member

You can try MediaMonkey. It will search the hard disk(s) or selected folder(s) on you PC and will organize the files for you in a tree view by artist, album, track name and so on. You'll see the tracks from the same artist together even if they're scattered through lots of folders, and will be able to edit the tags for multiple files.

You can select all the tracks from a particular artist (CTRL + A), right-click, select "Properties", change the genre field to what you want, and mark "Enable to update all tracks". Click the "OK" button and it will re-tag the genre for all the files.

Old 08-13-2007, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almoxil View Post
You can try MediaMonkey.... You can select all the tracks from a particular artist (CTRL + A), right-click, select "Properties", change the genre field to what you want, and mark "Enable to update all tracks". Click the "OK" button and it will re-tag the genre for all the files.
I have been doing this. I call this manual tagging and it is very very time consuming.

I would like to find a program that plugs this info in automatically.

Old 08-13-2007, 03:03 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Windows Media Player 11 will autotag your songs, including genre. If the rest of your tags are good, then WMP should have no trouble looking up the correct information. The fewer valid tags you have, the less likely WMP will be able to return the correct information the first time around, but WMP will always tell you the results of its search before it commits your tags, so you have ample opportunity to verify the information or refine its search.

The only problem I have with auto-tagging genre is that there never seems to be any common agreement between online databases concerning what genre is what, nor do people seem to agree. What I might class as "Classic Rock", you might class as "Pop" or "Pop/Rock", or just "Rock", and someone else may feel belongs under "Country". Also, while I might want all my classical music to be classed as "Classical", you might want to further break it down to "Romantic", "Organ Music", "Piano Concerto", and so on. So, even after you've auto-tagged everything, you may still wish to go through your songs and be sure you're okay with how they've been classed, and be prepared to change a bunch of them to your liking.

Old 08-14-2007, 02:52 PM

WMP 11 (yeeeeecccccchhh !!)

Does not play nice with some of my older DAP's, esp my Creative Zen PMC. Made it go mental and attempt to update firmware (when none new existed or was requested).

Haven't tried it since... but thanks (beggars can't be chooser's).

My current Archos and ZVM work great on 10.... so decisions... decisions.

Old 10-30-2008, 06:03 PM

Default Need to retag Genre for thousands of songs

I'm helping a DJ friend of mine who has converted thousands of CDs into an MP3 library so he can use a laptop for parties to mix music. We've tagged most of his music but need a way to retag the "Genre" tag for all these songs. Some are from the original artist's album, but many are from compilation CDs not usually sold to the public.

Is there a Windows program out there that will lookup songs and return tag information which we can then apply to the MP3 files?

Currently we have the files in '<title> - <artist> - <album>' name format but would like to add genre tag information. We've tried MediaTagger and Tag & Rename, but we haven't been able to lookup genre information.

Any ideas what we should try? Thanks for the help!

Old 10-30-2008, 09:15 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Welcome. I prefer using MP3Tag for editing all my MP3 files.
It's great for mass tagging. See Tagging FAQ here. Hope this helps.

Zen FAQ

Old 02-23-2011, 01:33 PM

Default HAHA thats exactly what i was thinking.

LOL

Old 06-14-2014, 02:08 PM

Default Lifehacker reference list

http://lifehacker.com/5266613/six-be...-tagging-tools