android
Old 02-16-2011, 01:45 AM

Default bbe from d3

how long until some enterprising android dev figures out how to rip the d3's bbe enhancements from its implementation of android and make them available for other android devices like the galaxy s wifi or the tons of android phones already out there?
i REALLY don't want to get into an ethical debate about the rightness/wrongness of the matter... just want to know about it from a technical perspective. it should be possible, right?
seeing as how the galaxy s line supposedly uses wolfson chips as well, it seems we could potentially have a device with the sound of the d3 (or pretty close) but without the lag and performance issues.
i almost hope for cowon's sake, though, that they found a way to lock the bbe down pretty securely, because, without their sound quality advantage, they don't have much else to stand on.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-16-2011, 01:58 PM

http://iaudiophile.net/forums/showthread.php?t=38676

Old 02-19-2011, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicalform View Post
how long until some enterprising android dev figures out how to rip the d3's bbe enhancements from its implementation of android and make them available for other android devices like the galaxy s wifi or the tons of android phones already out there?
i REALLY don't want to get into an ethical debate about the rightness/wrongness of the matter... just want to know about it from a technical perspective. it should be possible, right?
seeing as how the galaxy s line supposedly uses wolfson chips as well, it seems we could potentially have a device with the sound of the d3 (or pretty close) but without the lag and performance issues.
i almost hope for cowon's sake, though, that they found a way to lock the bbe down pretty securely, because, without their sound quality advantage, they don't have much else to stand on.
I am really impressed. In one post you manage to brush aside any morale issues with ripping off a protected software while implying that if that was the case it would be damaging for the owner. Now I am a D3 owner, and I am less than impressed about the fact that the D3 is underpowered, but I would go the other way around and suggest that Cowon make its Audio and Video players, with BBE, available on the market; and I'd pay for it...

Old 02-22-2011, 11:35 PM

I would pay for it, as well. I guess their biggest issue would be supporting all the various audio chipsets, so a dedicated device might make more sense at this time.

But Telechips was really a bad move, imo. If this were a Tegra 2 device with their software, I would have jumped on it - even for $50 more.

Old 02-25-2011, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by globiboulga View Post
I am really impressed. In one post you manage to brush aside any morale issues with ripping off a protected software while implying that if that was the case it would be damaging for the owner. Now I am a D3 owner, and I am less than impressed about the fact that the D3 is underpowered, but I would go the other way around and suggest that Cowon make its Audio and Video players, with BBE, available on the market; and I'd pay for it...
Honestly, Cowon is almost asking for this to be done. I have respect for them being one of the few companies out there to take seriously the audio quality of their devices. Where that respect starts to wane, however, is when they release barely usable, pre-alpha-like devices and expect their (high)paying customers to do the bug testing for them. Above all that, though, Cowon licensed BBE, they didn't create it. They're not the ONLY company that could put it to use. You'd think they'd make their devices function better knowing that their main advantage - the sound enhancements - could easily find their way to other devices (either by being licensed legitimately or by being hacked).
I do agree that a BBE enhanced audio app in the market would be a magnificent idea, but, as we've seen many times with Cowon, software is definitely not their strong suit (nor do they own BBE). What I'd REALLY like to see is Google throwing BBE into Android (which will probably never happen). The other half of that equation, however, would be more electronics manufacturers taking seriously the quality of their audio components (like Samsung and Cowon), because my Evo sounds like shit even with poweramp's EQ.

Last edited by logicalform; 02-25-2011 at 02:10 AM.

Old 02-26-2011, 03:38 AM

I agree that Cowon has here released an half-cooked device. People got upset with my review. But firmware 1.23 was dreadful and there's still a lot to be desired, even with 1.29.

All in all it boils down to a poor CPU choice that seems to have made life much more difficult for Cowon. I am sure that there are some good reason for that choice (availability and price), but it's certainly backfiring on them.

I do disagree with the comment on software. For once the base software is working pretty well. I am sure that both the music and video applications (including the BBE elements) would work flawlessly on my HTC Desire. The D3 is simply underpowered, using the wrong version of Android. The only thing that does appear to be an issue that be cross hardware is that media scanning crap...

As I wrote in my little rant about the future Cowon tablet, it will take them a lot to have me buying any other "Plenue" device... And I would ditch the brand pretty quickly if I was Cowon.

PS: yeah, my Desire sounds fairly average as well.

Old 02-26-2011, 01:02 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Tegra 2 on the D3 - even buggy it'd be worth my getting 1. The gameplay and such would be excellent then. This generation I'll pass.

As for the BBE, it's licensed & other company's need to pay to use it on their devices - the cheap bastards. I don't agree w/stealing to get it on any device - let Samsung pay the fee to use it.

And if the BBE was so important, and the device lacks this tech/feature and you really wanted it, don't buy the said device. Simple as that.