android
Old 12-16-2010, 04:28 PM

Default Slow database build with ogg

Hi guys, long time lurker here, first-time poster.

I have RB'ed an 8gb Clip+ and I'm loving all the functionality so far. I am using a 32gb microsd card with ~1800 tracks, and ~50 in the internal memory.

Initially the tracks were in mp3 (transcoded from flac rips), but after hearing that ogg vorbis would have a better battery life, I re-encoded my library. The problem I'm having is that every time I add files and rebuild the database, it takes around 8-10 minutes to detect all the files. With mp3s it took less than a minute. (I should also note that the Clip+ firmware's DB refresh takes around 2 minutes with ogg, which was also slower than with mp3).

I was just wondering if other people have experienced this, and whether it's a problem with Rockbox (and I should file a bug report) or just a problem inherent with the way ogg tags work.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-16-2010, 05:49 PM
Administrator

Welcome to ABi.
Glad you're coming in from out the cold. You can't contribute from out there.

I use Vorbis on all my Rockboxed players and don't have a issue with the database refreshing slowly. After I read your post I did a database refresh on my 4 GB Clip+ with a 16 GB card in it. It's not nearly full but a refresh of over 2300 vorbis files took less than 45 seconds.

I don't know what's being read when database is being created but I keep all my files that I don't want involved with that in folders with a "database.ignore" file in it. I load the database to ram and don't auto update it. The only other thing I do is to make sure that my tags are clean. The only tags I have are the ones that the database uses.

Someone who knows what the database actually reads while it's refreshing would know a lot more about this than me. But my personal experience is that 10 minutes to build the Rockbox database is too long.

I would do the usual trouble shooting steps. Try the current build. Take the files back off the player and test them with a file integrity checker. I use the one built into foobar2000. While I'm looking at them in fooby2k I have it rewrite the tags. I haven't had this problem with vorbis files but when I was using .mp3 I was working with some funky software that was writing badly encoded and tagged .mp3s that caused all sorts of headaches.

You could also check the drive for errors. It may be trying to deal with file corruption. These are the types of proactive steps I would take before thinking about filing a bug report.

I would think something like vorbis causing very long refresh times have been reported by now. If you have done all this and things haven't sped up considerably I definitely think about contacting the Rockbox forums.

Old 12-16-2010, 07:40 PM

Thanks for your response. I ran Chkdsk and it came up clean, as did a file integrity scan. The files are currently being re-tagged, and it's taking forever, so I suspect the encoder screwed up the tagging. I used oggenc2 initially, so maybe I should use oggenc in the future, instead.

I'll update when the re-tagging is finished.

Old 12-16-2010, 09:04 PM
Administrator

I've been using Ogg Vorbis encoder from the Rarewares site for a couple of years now. It always has downloaded as oggenc2.exe. I just followed the directions from the FAQ at the fooby2k site.
Quote:
The Converter is asking me for an oggenc.exe file, but all I have is oggenc2.exe from RareWares, what do I do? You can safely rename oggenc2.exe to oggenc.exe and point foobar2000's Converter to its location.
and have never had a problem. The problems I had stemmed from not configuring the discogs tagger to suit my needs.

The default values added a lot of fields I never used to organize my music. Once I got set to only add the fields I actually use my refresh times in the OF dropped quite a bit. I never noticed much difference in Rockbox since it refreshes in the background as you listen.

Old 12-16-2010, 11:24 PM

Unfortunately, it's still as slow as ever, even after re-tagging all the files. It counts around 3 tracks per second after blazing through the first 100 or so. It also finds around 2500 files total, but I'm guessing the extra ~700 are in the two hidden ## directories in the root of the player, and it scans those much more quickly anyway.

Maybe it has something to do with the compression level or an encoder problem. I used the same exact encoder that you specify, just with a different GUI on top.

I'll also try updating the build to the daily and see if it is any different (using 3.7.1 now).

Old 12-16-2010, 11:37 PM
Ultra Senior Member

man, this sucks. I am not that familiar with OGG ATM, but I know for sure Sandisk players are extremely fussy with the ID3 tags for mp3 files [Sandisk prefers ISO tags not UTF-16, but they will work - in my case, along with voluminous comments on my mp3 ID3 tags, db refreshes take 20+ minutes. I don't complain because I know why it happens for me and I refuse to change so I suck it up...]

Assuming you used foobar to wipe and re-write the tags? I know this is a huge chore, but maybe try mp3tag http://www.mp3tag.de/en/ to once again completely wipe all your existing tags and then re-tag using it as well? mp3tag fully supports OGG.

not sure what else to suggest for you...

cheers and good luck - do report back so others can benefit from your experiences...
-les
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 02-26-2011, 04:37 PM

I figure I'll update this thread, even though I never figured out what the problem was. I ended up just using mp3 instead of ogg, which is a much faster DB build. I currently use mp3 320 ABR files with id3v1/id3v2.3 UTF-16 for compatibility's sake (though v2.4 is faster).

I've managed to avoid the OF refreshes entirely by using the trick I detail here, so I only have Rockbox's painless auto-update worrying about the database.

Anyway, consider this problem not solved, but worked-around; though if anyone has anymore insight, I'm sure ogg fans will appreciate it.