android
Old 02-15-2011, 02:38 AM

Hey lestatar, I encountered the same issue with this build! The database wouldn't update past a certain point, after that I had a few dozen corrupted files on my player.
Bands I dig: Genesis, Jethro Tull, Marillion, Pink Floyd, Mike Oldfield, Arena, Savatage, Threshold, Twelfth Night, Flower Kings, Magenta, Mostly Autumn, Transatalantic, Vanden Plas, Deep Purple, Metallica, R.E.M., Cake, and, yes, Katie Melua.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-15-2011, 02:45 AM
Ultra Senior Member

A-ha! That is EXACTLY what happened! r29305, right?

Have you upgraded beyond that, using current build? Any issues?

@saratoga: Also, some more clues for you on this. I had a tough time deleting the .rockbox folder under Win7 Explorer. I noticed that the .rockbox folder was set as READ-ONLY somehow and recall seeing that no db files were created in the .rockbox root.

Is this helpful at all?

Thanks a ton Progweed!
-les
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 02-15-2011, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
A-ha! That is EXACTLY what happened! r29305, right?
Yepp, exactly. And I think it choked on a perfectly fine MP3 file. At least that's what the debug screen told me.

Quote:
Have you upgraded beyond that, using current build? Any issues?
I think I will revert back to the custom build I had installed before, r29128. Only a few language files were changed since r29305: http://www.rockbox.org/since-release.html
Bands I dig: Genesis, Jethro Tull, Marillion, Pink Floyd, Mike Oldfield, Arena, Savatage, Threshold, Twelfth Night, Flower Kings, Magenta, Mostly Autumn, Transatalantic, Vanden Plas, Deep Purple, Metallica, R.E.M., Cake, and, yes, Katie Melua.

Old 02-15-2011, 03:38 AM

Me too the database won't update after file number 5497,
so i went to an old version of rockbox i had backed up and am using that database but my new additions are not there
I am using the 29305 version,
currently running the metadata check to see what the problem is will report if it is a file problem or rockbox issue.

Old 02-15-2011, 04:44 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Hmmm, well now it seems that with 3 people possibly reporting similar issues with the same build, r29305, odds are pretty good I think this build might have some problems, as saratoga alluded to earlier.

Thanks for chiming in guys! Glad to see I am not a alone - I was starting to think I knew less about this than I already do
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 02-15-2011, 04:59 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Hmmm, well now it seems that with 3 people possibly reporting similar issues with the same build, r29305, odds are pretty good I think this build might have some problems, as saratoga alluded to earlier.

Thanks for chiming in guys! Glad to see I am not a alone - I was starting to think I knew less about this than I already do
Although skip252 was correct earlier when he described 3.7.1 as an old build, what you're experiencing reminds me why I went back to 3.7.1, after experimenting with some custom builds, like the ones with USB patch, etc....because the fact remains that they call 3.7.1 the "stable release" for good reason...in day in and day out use, nothing goes wrong for me, it just plain works.

In fact, I know that since 3.7.1, there was a patch added to the current builds to bump the battery life of the V1 Fuze a little bit, yet I still have stuck with 3.7.1, for the sake of peace of mind (and the battery gets me through a day at work, which is all that matters).

Old 02-15-2011, 05:17 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Thanks man. So any suggestions? As you can see, I have not needed/wanted to upgrade my build in a very long time. This new embedded art support is something I would like to explore however.

Any ideas on what I should try next? Just install the latest stable build for v2 Fuze via Rockox utility? This latest build I am assuming will contain the embedded art support/update and I prolly should have opted for that one in the first place.
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 02-15-2011, 05:59 AM

The latest release build is from November, but there is message in the changelog saying that a new release is due soon. I'd simply wait for that.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:40 AM

Hmm... I am out now, it was one of the Bon Jovi (320kbps) song that had the problem it was not a tag problem because even after changing the tag with easytag in linux the problem was still there then i changed the song using sound converter in linux to lame 3.98 at highest bitrate then it started working, don't know what the problem was. Also checking the filesystem showed no problems.(I know its not a big change the format is the same and before it was lame 3.97 but it fixed the problem don't know how though.)

Thanks for the suggestion of the metatag thing. It really works well go to system>debug>metatag log
It will show a message that metatag log has been enabled.
Now go to Database Long Hold then initialize database...
Now if there is a problem in any file then the database will hang, if so the Files>metadata.log file will show the file which is causing the database to hang as the last line of the metadata.log.
Finally just check the file which is causing the error and try to modify it till the error is gone.
Hope that is simple enough.
I don't know if the feature is explained in the rockbox manual but i am putting it out there for the people.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:14 AM
Administrator

Do you still have the original file that was causing the problem? I've known the developers to ask for them to be uploaded so they can try to track down what's causing the problem.

Old 02-15-2011, 09:06 AM

Oops, i deleted it from the player but i will try to copy the original file from my hard disk back to the player and update the database to try to recreate the error, if it is recurring then i will upload the file here and hope saratoga is following the thread.

Actually i wanted to do that integrity checker thing but wine is acting up and foobar is not working.

Old 02-15-2011, 09:38 AM

No problem with the file from the hard disk, can't help if it happens again though will surely keep the file causing the problem.

Old 02-24-2011, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Progweed View Post
Hey lestatar, I encountered the same issue with this build! The database wouldn't update past a certain point, after that I had a few dozen corrupted files on my player.
Mhm, the problem still persists in r29387. Guess I'll file a bug report.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:20 PM

You guys need a new thread.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Progweed View Post
Mhm, the problem still persists in r29387. Guess I'll file a bug report.
Yeah this is happening to me in 3.8 on both my fuze and clip+

Old 03-03-2011, 03:17 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Hmmm...have not had a chance to try again, and also not with RB 3.8.

Seems I might just still wait awhile
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 03-03-2011, 03:30 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Hmmm...have not had a chance to try again, and also not with RB 3.8.

Seems I might just still wait awhile
It's working flawlessly for me....my database updates without issue, even more album art shows than before....and my music plays at the proper speed too!

Old 03-03-2011, 03:35 AM
Ultra Senior Member

^ blah blah blah...

Mine ain't broke - no reason to fix it. And the speed on my Fuzes is just fine to me
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 03-03-2011, 07:36 PM

3.7.1 works fine for me. I'm going to wait till they fix it.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:50 PM
Administrator

I believe it has been fixed. At least it's working for me now. I tried upgrading my V2 Clip yesterday and things didn't work out well. I was keeping an eye on FS #11965 that Progweed had started. Tried a current build as suggested and things seem to be OK again.

Wrestled my Fuze back from my kid and tried it there. The database builds and there's no file system problems when I check. That may be different for each person so YMMV.

Tags
embedded art, jpeg, rockbox, tags