android
Old 02-26-2011, 12:08 PM
X-Fi2 Development Moderator

Default Application Updater

If enough people are interested then I will make an auto-updater. What it will do is quite simple, you select your app directory, searches for what games you have, checks for any updates of those games. If there is any updates then it will install them. I might also add a feature were if you don't have a game then you can install it.

Currently I have made an updater for Pingus, and will modify it to handle many games instead of one, and if Xeroo will let me, I will use his site to host the files I need for the program ( he would also benefit because then every time you check for an update, his site gets tragic, thous making his site appear towards the top of search engines). If you would be interested in an auto updater then please post that along with any ideas you might have. Also, if you could specify if you would rather have it be automatically run when you plug in your zen(It would be more work and a bit longer until release) or have in manual where you run the program, and select which updates you want to install, or a mix of the two options.

If I do make the updater then a few things need to happen from the developers of the games-
1. They need to include an xml file ( which i will post the format of later) in there game's folder
2. When they make an update the update zip file should only include the lua files or any added resources since the release of the game.

Also, the updater could load new games without being updated ie: If there is a new game released, you would not have to update the updater because it could gather the current apps from a database online.

Last edited by jbob182; 02-26-2011 at 01:06 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-26-2011, 12:18 PM

I am certainly interested and I think there should be an option to let the autoupdater load automatically upon device connection and after it checks for updates in background it would open a window where the user would confirm the upgrade (global or selective).

Old 02-26-2011, 12:37 PM

One other option would be to have the program run on startup(I can implantment that into the code) Then have the program always running( So it would have the database from online ready) then have it detect a usb device with a the path -->Applications and maybe do some other checks like if there is the music folder and picture e.c.t. . Then if it finds those files then it will start checking for updates. That is about the only way to have it run automatically besides a autorun.inf ( which has been disabled in newer versions of windows due to security reasons.)

Old 02-26-2011, 12:40 PM

I think an updater would be nice. I don't really care if you have to start it manually or not. Another possible use might be updating highscores to add some sort of competition between users of an app. Just a thought.

Old 02-26-2011, 12:54 PM

There is one big question though. How necessary is it?
To be frank, how many games are updated anymore of the old ones? And how many apps are in the making now and how frequent updates can we expect from those?

Still, I find the idea interesting and I would certainly update my currently released apps to work with it (when I get time) and also incorporate it in any new ones I make.

As for Autorun or Manual, I say Manual. I really dislike having things decide for me when and what to do, that is my job, and that is why I am into programming, because I want to be the one calling the shots.
Like my work? Tell your friends. Don't like it? Tell me so I can improve. ^.^

Old 02-26-2011, 12:59 PM

Quote:
There is one big question though. How necessary is it?
That is why I am asking if people would want it, because really I don't care either way if we have an updater or not.

I think that i will just include an inf file and if the user wants auto run for windows vista and below then they can include it on their device.

Right now, the single updater for pingus is great because there are two developers and it gets updated often because it is in development, so for that reason we have an updater.

Old 02-26-2011, 03:26 PM

Yeah, my Neko Apprentice only has me as Dev so I haven't had that issue.
Bet your Pingus will pwn my game around the globe, as I barely have any time put into it.

Old 02-26-2011, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Bet your Pingus will pwn my game around the globe, as I barely have any time put into it.
Thanks, but you have to keep in mind, with your game you don't have as big of a problem with the player's limited capabilities as we do.

Old 03-02-2011, 05:04 AM

i like the idea of udater.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:12 AM

I guess I will start making it, though keep in mind that progress will be slow because:

1. I am still not very experienced in C#
2. I am working on pingus as well.

I will first start with making a code to determine how many apps avaible, and which ones you have.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:11 AM

If you need help with C# I can always give it a shot, I recently finished a course in it so I've got some experience with it =P

Old 03-02-2011, 01:17 PM

Why do you choose Microsoft's C#? Wouldn't it be nice to be able to run the updater on more platforms, like Linux?
I'm about to write something for my game which will also run on PC and I was thinking about Java.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:41 PM

I've done some Java too =P
And I agree with the cross-platform compatibility, it shouldn't be bound to any specific. Isn't there a way to run apps written in C# on other platforms though? I think there was... Or have I mixed it up with Processing (Simple Java thing), I know that one can..

Old 03-02-2011, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Isn't there a way to run apps written in C# on other platforms though?
Yes there is, by using wine on linux.
Or if you really really really, want to use it on a mac, run vmware fusion or a virtual box ( if it is supported by mac).

Quote:
Why do you choose Microsoft's C#?
I do not know very many languages, and c# is one that i know ( I am learning java now for android development). If i can make an xml parser in java then the updater would work fine, I will look into java as a possibility , though my first choice would be C#.

Another reason is that i have already written an updater in C# for pingus, so just some quick modifications and i could have the bulk updater done.

Last edited by jbob182; 03-02-2011 at 03:43 PM.

Old 03-02-2011, 04:01 PM

I don't think you'd need to make your own xml parser as there are many already done for Java (at least it would seem so after a quick googling). You just load some extension and you can work with xml using DOM, or whatever.

But it was just a tip, if you don't feel like using Java, have it your way.

Btw, Wine is great but can't be relied on. I can't run X-Fi2 ADK on it, for example.
If it is the only way of running C# apps under Linux, it's not much of a proper cross-platform compatibility.

Old 03-03-2011, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbob182 View Post
Yes there is, by using wine on linux.
Or if you really really really, want to use it on a mac, run vmware fusion or a virtual box ( if it is supported by mac).
There are also other ways to run a C# app with Linux