android
Old 08-05-2009, 09:11 AM

Can't get it to work properly, or at all?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-05-2009, 09:18 AM

I got it to work last night.

The problem I was having was that windows (and the x5) refused to recognize the 32 GB CF card.

After erasing it a few times, and formating using the panasonic sd formater you recomended, I got it to work again. Right up til the moment I put the backplate back on. Then, suddenly, it didn't work again.

I removed the backplate, and it worked again. It seems like the adapter was pushed down in some weird angle that didn't work. I just taped it down, and now it works, if a tad flaky when connected to the poweradapter. I need to do some better interior decorating, but at least it works.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:49 AM

I see... I wrapped my adapter+card in some thin packing foam material. Doesn't move or wiggle around, and works well.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:52 AM

Good plan, I'll think I'll do that as well. And then tape it down.

Everything can be fixed with a little tape.

Old 03-06-2011, 01:04 PM

Time to resurrect this old thread. I did a variation of this mod by using a CF/SD adapter with a 64 GB SDXC card from Transcend (formatted with FAT32) and I got it working, I can boot the original FW as well as Rockbox.

To be a bit more precise, I'm running a SDXC card in a CF/SD adapter which goes into a 1.8" IDE/CF adapter.
Guess I needed a challenge.

The trick to get it to work was setting the right partition type in the MBR for the card.

If anyone is interested in further details just ask away.

Last edited by razorblader; 03-06-2011 at 04:53 PM.

Old 03-06-2011, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorblader View Post
Time to resurrect this old thread. I did a variation of this mod by using a CF/SD adapter with a 64 Gb SDXC card from Transcend (formatted with Fat32) and I got it working, I can boot the original FW as well as Rockbox.

To be a bit more precise, I'm running a SDXC card in a CF/SD adapter which goes into a 1.8" IDE/CF adapter.
Guess I needed a challenge.

The trick to get it to work was setting the right partition type in the MBR for the card.

If anyone is interested in further details just ask away.
I am. My X5 will be kept as long as possible, so I'll be upgrading when prices for 64 GB SDXC/CF comes down. How'd you do it? Brand, speed, how'd you set the MBR, etc.

Old 03-06-2011, 04:51 PM

Hi fabarati, good to know there are still other X5 connaisseurs out there.

The card I'm using is a Transcend SDXC 64 GB Class 10 which cost around 100 Euros. It's this one:

http://www.transcendusa.com/Products...o=1&Func2No=13

The CF-To-IDE adapter used is the same model that dfkt used (see first post of this thread), I bought it on eBay for a few bucks a while ago. I alleviated the 'protruding jumper' problem by gently bending the jumper pins forward with the jumper in place. Worked like a charm.

Edit: I ended up using the CF-to-IDE adapter shown below because it has the some form factor as a 1.8" HDD and there is nothing that 'sticks out'. The master/slave mode selection (set it to master) can be done elegantly with a mini switch.
I purchased the adapter for 10 bucks on eBay. The other adapter works as well but this one is just better suited for the task IMHO.

The SD-to-CF Adapter used is this one:

It's of very good quality and the SD card 'clicks' into place for a reliable connection. I found it on eBay and it cost around 16 bucks.
There are cheaper ones, I got one of those too but this one is mechanically superior and it supports CF true IDE/UDMA mode.

Got mine here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/SD-SDHC-SDXC-Hig...item56407e2462

After doing some research into SDHC/SDXC compatibility I realized that current SDXC cards are glorified SDHC cards with capacities higher than 32 GB and a few people on various forums theorized that it shouldn't be a problem to format an SDXC card with FAT32 instead of exFAT which is standard with SDXC cards. Here is where the trouble starts...

Windows won't format your SDXC card with FAT32, nor will the Panasonic formatter tool, both 'recognize' the card as SDXC and offer the possibility to format it with exFAT or NTFS.

You got 3 easy choices:

1. Format the card on a Linux box.

2. Use guiformat, a FAT32 format tool with a GUI under Windows.

Find it here:
http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/ind...at32format.htm

Set allocation unit size to 32768 and do a quick format.

3. Use this command line tool under Windows:

http://www1.mager.org/mkdosfs/

It's the mkdosfs application which someone ported to Windows. The usage is explained in the link I posted, it contains the dl-link as well.

Command to format the card:

mkdosfs -v -F 32 -n name X:

where X: stands for the respective drive letter and 'name' represents the volume label that you choose for the drive.

I'm sure there are other tools which might work but that's what I used. I recommend to use guiformat.

After you format the card you can copy files to it and all looks dandy as long as you use it under Windows. I then proceeded to test the card with my Cowon D2+ and long story short it wouldn't recognize the card.

Copied the necessary files for the X5 on it and tried it with the adapters in my X5L, again, no luck.
After a bit more testing I realized that there had to be something in the MBR of the card that made it impossible for the Cowon players to recognize/use it.

Looking for a tool to be able to analyze and edit the MBR I found MBRWizard which works great. It allows you to backup the MBR of (removable) cards/drives, you can restore it and you can view and edit the information as well.

Find it here:
http://firesage.com/doload.php?f=mbrwiz&n=4&z=1

Upon analysis of the MBR data of the card I realized what the problem was. The MBR of a drive contains a partition 'type' entry which basically describes which filesystems are supported on the medium and in the case of the SDXC card that entry reads 07-NTFS indicating NTFS and exFAT compatibility. So simply re-formating the card with FAT32 doesn't do the trick alone, you also have to change this entry to 0C-FAT32X with the MBRWizard command line tool. Info on the usage of MBRWizard can be found here:

http://mbrwizard.com/examples.php

To get a list of all connected drives run this command in MBRWiz:

MBRWiz /list

This will give you a nice overview of all drives with all the relevant information. Identify the disk # of the card and change the partition type with the following command:

MBRWiz /disk=n /part=1 /type=CH

where n stands for the disk number you identified with the list command.

After the partition type entry change the D2+ had no problem recognizing the card and using it and the X5 boots the original FW as well as Rockbox.

Average sequential read and write speed is around 13MB/s with the card in the X5. Copying a folder with 2.68 GB took about 4 minutes.

Mission accomplished.

Last edited by razorblader; 03-11-2011 at 03:40 PM.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:21 AM

Awesomeness. Thanks man. No, really, Thanks.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:49 AM

You're welcome fabarati! Glad you found the information useful.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:51 AM

Great info, Razorblader. Did you do any R/W speed tests on your new card in the X5?

Also, do you use the old v2 dual bootloader that's been around, or did you compile a current v4 one with dual boot capabilities?

Old 03-07-2011, 11:00 AM

Great post razorblader, I'd say you went way beyond the extra mile, hats off \o_ dfkt I'm sticking your thread as there's great info here and it should be at the top of the x5 forum and there really isn't much at the top of this thread, but I'll understand if you decide to un-stick it ...

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 03-07-2011, 02:33 PM

Thanks for the kind words dfkt and WalkGood.

Average sequential read and write speed is around 13MB/s with the card in the X5. Copying a folder with 2.68 GB took about 4 minutes.

I'm still using the old v2 dual-bootloader.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:48 PM

http://anythingbutipod.com/2011/03/cowon-x5-sdxc-mod/

Old 03-07-2011, 02:55 PM

congrats on the Front page honors and Kudos to the modding job, very, very interesting stuff. good read, too.

it seems rather easy to accomplish by simply following your step by step tutorial.

Black Cowon J3 32 GB (Black Ringke Case) - no lousy Sennheiser CX 300 anymore, Pana HJE 900 took the throne... for keeps

Old 03-07-2011, 03:10 PM

Awesome, thanks Martin(dfkt). Danke!

@deadohiosky: It's really pretty straightforward and easy to do.
Thanks for the kind words.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:13 PM

Hah! I see you're from the far away city of Vienna, even same ISP as me.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:21 PM

Jo, eh! The world (wide) close web so to speak.

Old 03-08-2011, 06:45 AM

Does it mean you can use the whole 64Gb on your D2+?

Old 03-08-2011, 07:28 AM

Yes, on the X5 and D2+ alike.

Since the question came up by another member I tested the modified SDXC card sucessfully in my Nikon F80 DSLR and even using a SD to MicroSD adapter with my Fuze v2.

The adapter is this one from dealextreme:

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/sd-to-m...r-module-27001

Last edited by razorblader; 03-08-2011 at 10:54 AM.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:52 AM
Ultra Senior Member

@razorblader: Indeed! Excellent work, congrats on the frontpage and thanks for sharing your pro tips.

Enjoy! And what is it with all you clever Austrians anyways?
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies