android
Old 03-12-2011, 03:10 AM

Default WP7 Marketplace hits 10K Apps ! Woot.

Earlier today the WP7 Marketplace hit 10,000 Apps. It did this in less than 5 months, which btw is the fastest any App marketplace reached this milestone.

Hats off to MS for getting this part of WP7 pretty darn right! Quality of apps for WP7 is also pretty damn fine.

Beating iOS, Android etc to this achievement is a great effort.

Now to get the update and feature rollouts into shape, and WP7 FTW !

Will post some of my fav apps (maybe even a list of my regular apps used a little later here in this thread!).

cheers.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-12-2011, 06:35 AM

Citation on being the fastest app-store launch?

Old 03-12-2011, 07:11 AM

http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/11/w...updates-still/

Engadget journalism quality dropping right off - note cheap shot at MS over updates issues in this article.

Old 03-12-2011, 07:42 AM
Contributing Editor

It's a well deserved cheap shot.

Old 03-12-2011, 07:44 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Not to belittle the accomplishment, but 10,000 apps isn't hard when all the devs mostly just had to do a little recoding of their iOS and android apps to make them work on Phone7. I remember spending 4 months coming up with a BASIC CAD program running in DOS. Someone asked me for a version to run on a mac and that took me two days.

Expect the next app market to come along for a new tablet/phone OS to make 10,000 in even better time.

Now the big question.... How many fart apps are there?

Old 03-12-2011, 02:20 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider_Aus View Post
Engadget journalism quality dropping right off - note cheap shot at MS over updates issues in this article.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasrhp View Post
It's a well deserved cheap shot.
I agree,...MS is at it again - taking forever to address the needs of their WP7 users.

Old 03-12-2011, 03:29 PM

Hang on.....an update they said would be early March is now 2nd half March? The issue is more one of what exactly is the carrier's role in this?

Old 03-12-2011, 04:23 PM
Anythingbutiphone Moderator

The record is meaningless. When the Iphone started with an app store, there wasn't a clear direction where it was going. When Google started theirs, everyone was focused on the iPhone (it took a year for Android to reach meaningful sales). Lately, there's been an explosion in app development across all platforms, including Blackberry. MS took about 4 months to break 10k apps (2.5k per month). During the month of February, the Itunes App store had nearly 9k apps added.

I still see some resistance to WP7 on the part of developers. However, I still rate it as the 2nd best app store, behind only iOS (Google's app store is a joke, despite the high number of apps).

Last edited by medion; 03-12-2011 at 04:42 PM. Reason: grammar!

Old 03-12-2011, 04:31 PM

I haven't owned any other smartphone platform with exception of W6.5 Samsung Blackjack - however MS have done pretty well here. The pace shows a pretty good take up level with Dev's (and remember there was an original small limit of free apps each Dev could put up) - and overall quality of WP7 apps is pretty darn good.

When Dev's use the Metro UI and keep the design principles front and center, the Apps look good and fit the OS. I think they are improving the Dev support and process as they go as well.

And that key performance indicator - Farts apps ratio - I think will still be lower on WP7 than iOS

Old 03-12-2011, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by medion View Post
I still see some resistance to WP7 on the part of developers. However, I still rate it as the 2nd best app store, behind only iOS (Google's app store is a joke, despite the high number of apps).
What's wrong with Google app store? Is there more to it than just the number of apps? What makes the IOS and WP7 stores superior?

I know very little about the mobile app space because I don't have any devices that use these types of stores. So I'm asking this question quite seriously. I only know about the OVI store, but I have no comment on that

Old 03-12-2011, 06:52 PM
Anythingbutiphone Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by odigg View Post
What's wrong with Google app store? Is there more to it than just the number of apps? What makes the IOS and WP7 stores superior?

I know very little about the mobile app space because I don't have any devices that use these types of stores. So I'm asking this question quite seriously. I only know about the OVI store, but I have no comment on that
Google doesn't do any moderation of the Android Market as Apple and Microsoft do. While it is possible for rogue apps to get through the Apple/MS police, there's no one to go through on the Google side. Apps are only removed AFTER the fact.

The Android Market allows for a lot of warez as well. I've had friends post an app, only to have someone else rename it, upload it, and charge a higher price (or a price for a formerly free app). Google doesn't seem to care, short of a DMCA notice or lawsuit, as they get a cut from these sales.

Lastly, Google allows carriers to block apps. So, if you buy an app while as a T-Mobile customer, then switch to Verizon, you may have to then repurchase the same app from the Verizon store (these include games like Need For Speed Shift and Tetris by EA). Currently, Verizon is the only carrier in the entire world doing this, though some developers, like EA, also block apps by region (they have three versions of Need for Speed Shift on the Market based on carrier/region).

And while people complain about Apple/MS "policing" their apps, it would be ok on Android because side-loading (the ability to download an app from another store or off a website and install it manually) is allowed on any phone other than those locked on AT&T.

Overall, the Android Market is a massive fail. I don't even buy apps from it anymore and can't wait for Amazon's Android app store. I'm a huge advocate of Android, but I simply cannot recommend it unless you either want something more feature filled than iOS/WP7 (and the lesser user friendliness that accompanies it), or you want a dirt cheap/free phone that replaces a feature phone. Otherwise, you can purchase an iPhone on AT&T for $49, or phones using WP7 for $100.

Oh and for those holding out for WP7 on Verizon, the HTC Trophy is launching March 24th.