android
Old 03-14-2011, 12:26 PM

Default Cowon i9 or Sony NWZ-A845

Hello,

I want to buy a good mp3 player and for me the most important thing is the sound quality and I don't really care about video and etc. First I wanted sony newest A model, but then I read that NWZ-A845 may have low sound level, so I may be interested in Cowon.

So few question about Cowon:
- Is this Korean company good? (I remember Korean isn't best companies quality wise)
- What Cowon model should I buy? Cowon i9 looks decent and price is good, but what about sound quality? Also i9 is pretty old, is it still worth buying? Is the SQ of Cowon J3 better or it's not worth overpaying?
- What's better Cowon i9 or Sony NWZ-A845 sound quality wise? Cowon sound level is higher?

I will also planning to buy Soundmagic PL11 headphones.

Or maybe anyone can advice other good player? Thanks a lot!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-14-2011, 12:31 PM

If you care about sound quality, stay away from the A845. It's a pretty sub-par player paired with most IEMs.

i9 and J3 sound the same, and have the same sound enhancements as well, which are arguably better than Sony's.

Old 03-14-2011, 01:11 PM
Banned

i had both and kept the Sony - go figure.

Old 03-14-2011, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
If you care about sound quality, stay away from the A845. It's a pretty sub-par player paired with most IEMs.

i9 and J3 sound the same, and have the same sound enhancements as well, which are arguably better than Sony's.
Soundmagic PL11 are IEM headphones? Do you think they are going to be good with cowon i9?

Also do you think it's worth buying i9 when it's pretty old mp3? Also buying from pixmania such old model is okey, I mean I hope I won't get old used model from someone..

Sorry for so much question

nodirectionhome --> well I am buying from internet so I can't test the player so I think I won't take the sony cause it may be too low volume for me.

Old 03-14-2011, 02:15 PM
Banned

If you're in the EU, then yes, the Sony is volume-limited.

The i9 is a good player, I shouldn't worry about it's not being brand new - it's still a current model.

Old 03-14-2011, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodirectionhome View Post
i had both and kept the Sony - go figure.
I have both too and the Sony sounds clearer on flat EQ with most dynamic driver based IEMs like e.g. the IE8. So I'm not surprised that some may prefer the Sony if they audition it with DD IEMs. But having said that, you can tune the i9 to sound the same via BBE.

With most armature IEMs the i9 sounds noticably cleaner than the A845.

The EU volume cap is a HUGE drawback on the Sony if you listen to classical.

Old 03-14-2011, 04:16 PM

Thanks guys. I think I will ask in same thread about headphones, I was planning to buy soundmagic PL11, but now came across very good price for Klipsch S3. Do you think they are good headphones for Cowan i9? On pixmania now there is 37% discount for them so I hope it's not some kind of fake or used headphones.