android
Old 03-08-2011, 10:49 AM

Default RB 3.8 on V1 only builds database from internal memory

I thought having album art on my 8GB V1 Fuze with 16GB uSD card would be nice so I installed it, but the files on the SD card didn't appear in the database when it initialised. I've tried updating but they are still not listed.

I can see the files and play them if I browse by files.

I've had to revert back to 3.7.1.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-08-2011, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selectortone View Post
I thought having album art on my 8GB V1 Fuze with 16GB uSD card would be nice so I installed it, but the files on the SD card didn't appear in the database when it initialised. I've tried updating but they are still not listed.

I can see the files and play them if I browse by files.

I've had to revert back to 3.7.1.
This may sound silly. But did you cycle(turn off then on) the fuze after initializing or adding files to the database?

Old 03-08-2011, 04:29 PM

Yep.

Old 03-08-2011, 04:31 PM

There seem to be some issues with 3.8, with AMS Sansas and the database: http://forums.rockbox.org/index.php/topic,27335.0.html

No official comment, so far.

Old 03-08-2011, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
There seem to be some issues with 3.8, with AMS Sansas and the database: http://forums.rockbox.org/index.php/topic,27335.0.html

No official comment, so far.
Just an FYI: That thread deals with earlier source files than the public released compiled 3.8 r29513 build. And the individuals are compiling or using custom patched builds. All that thread points out is beware if you custom build. The patches may not be up to date. Out of date patches can cause problems as you know.

The OP's problem was not seeing the files on a 16g sd card in the database. I saw that today in checking to see if I had that problem. I looked for an audiobook that has album art embedded. It took me a long time to find the files in the database even though the audiobook is properly tagged. The information in the tags is up to the ripper though. For example, in 'Genre' I have audiobook, spoken word, speech, spoken&audio and Radio Drama. This could be just a user learning curve thing. It was for me.

Old 03-08-2011, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuFur View Post
Just an FYI: That thread deals with earlier source files than the public released compiled 3.8 r29513 build.
Rockbox 3.8 is a release, not a revision - those are entirely different things. It's a fork of SVN, not an ongoing revision number.

3.8 is not r29513 in any way, it's been forked for quite some time earlier than that revision and it contains various differences to the ongoing SVN tree.

Quote:
All that thread points out is beware if you custom build.
You obviously didn't read the thread properly. It clearly deals with issues in 3.8.

Old 03-10-2011, 04:44 AM

Current build r29554 has cured the problem.

I posted my problem on the RB forums but got no answer. Those guys move in mysterious ways. Whatever... whoever fixed it, thank you.

Now to try some nice album-art oriented themes....

Old 03-15-2011, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selectortone View Post
Current build r29554 has cured the problem.

I posted my problem on the RB forums but got no answer. Those guys move in mysterious ways. Whatever... whoever fixed it, thank you.

Now to try some nice album-art oriented themes....
I saw your post and wondered how that community would respond...Rockbox is playlist orientated. You can create individual playlists in minutes depending on how experienced you are with Rockbox. All of my music is ripped and therefore the tags are created by the ripper. A database of tags where one ripper said the producer was X and the other ripper said come to my xyz.com site is unusable. File names seldom lie and you should use those. Hint hint. RIAA and Sony would like you to believe viewing your music via tags is the way to go because they wish to enter our realm of file sharing. They are willing have little workers tag their files and insert album art that increases the amount of storage required to house those bloated files.

In the end, you have to decide. I welcome and strip extraneous material in a file. Remember a 44k picture over 10 songs per album is larger then a single 44k picture called folder.xxx.

Now I'm off to posion more Norwegian rats. I hear them squeaking in thrones of matrimony.

Last edited by TuFur; 03-15-2011 at 12:39 AM.

Old 03-15-2011, 05:17 AM

Yes, rockbox is indeed playlist oriented. I build a playlist every day when I go for a walk on the beach.

I ripped almost all of my music myself from my own CD library. The rest is a few live bootlegs from the web. I've checked every track with mp3tag and stripped the tagging down to the bare minimum. I became very familiar with the concept of tagging when I had a problem with my Cowon D2+, a player that is notorious for being picky with tags.

I embed album art (at 400 x 400) because I find it's more reliable across the several portable and fixed devices I use to play my music. No need to think does this one want 'folder.jpg' or 'cover.jpg' or 'album.jpg' or whatever.

That long screed is just to say that if you're saying my problem was down to the tagging of my music, I don't think so.