android
Old 03-12-2011, 04:28 AM

Help Date/Time settings lost when switching to Rockbox after OF upload

(Urg. Just realized I posted in the wrong forum. Apologies.)

Have any other users observed this? I just picked up a Clip+ (blue, 4GB, used, mint) and am still experimenting with settings/adding files/creating playlists, so I'm making frequent switches between Rockbox and the OF for the upload process (MSC transfer). Every time I get back into Rockbox after an OF upload, the date/time settings have gone back to the RB default. Annoying, at least while I'm going back and forth between the two firmwares; but even when I've got my Clip+ loaded up, any future upload connections will require resetting the clock once again. Quirk? Unknown bug?

Additionally, I've found that the RB clock doesn't keep accurate time once the Clip+ is powered off overnight or some similar extended amount of time. There's no real pattern to this, but at least this morning, the clock was off by 10 minutes when I turned my Clip+ on. Could this be a battery issue?

As I type this, my Clip+ is fully charged, and I'm running the battery bench app (while I burn in some new earbuds with a pink noise file). I'll see what the app log records at the end of the run.

Just for full disclosure, I'm running the Engineer2 theme (from the RB default pack), with Literal More as the WPS. No other customizations to note.

Feedback appreciated and TIA --
--
Ocelot

Last edited by Ocelot; 03-12-2011 at 04:35 AM. Reason: Posted to wrong forum

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-12-2011, 03:15 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

I just tried booting into the OF on my Clip+, and while the OF time is wrong, it didn't change the RB time when I got back. I booted back and corrected the OF time and this also did not impact the rockbox time. When you say "OF upload" you mean just rebooting to the OF right, and not actually uploading a new firmware bin file?

Old 03-12-2011, 07:19 PM

Arrow Right Sorry for any confusion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga View Post
When you say "OF upload" you mean just rebooting to the OF right, and not actually uploading a new firmware bin file?
Apologies for not clarifying. Since USB support in RB has yet to be finalized for the Clip+, any uploading of files to the unit requires the OF. This is all that I meant by "OF upload"--using the OF, as necessary, to upload music files, etc.

Purrs --
--
Ocelot

Old 03-12-2011, 07:37 PM

Unhappy Initial battery bench results

My battery bench results were quite disappointing: my Clip+ shut down when the plugin registered an estimated 69% battery power, yielding only 4 hrs 18 min run time. Voltage at that point was logged as being ~3.9v, which according to the SansaRuntime page of the Rockbox Wiki, shouldn't have been low enough to trigger shutdown quite yet (data shows this occurs at ~3.3v). Since my Clip+ wasn't connected to USB at the time, that is a realistic voltage measurement. Granted, I was playing a .wav on repeat, but given an uncompressed file, I would have expected much better performance overall.

The RB date/time, once my Clip+ shut down, reset to the default settings of 5:41 pm, and October 18, 2009. (I have no idea why this particular date and particular time, that's just what it does.) I expected this sort of behavior with a battery depletion shutdown, so it really doesn't speak to the observed behavior of resetting after use of the OF for file upload.

As far as the battery is concerned, at this point, I guess I'll just recharge my Clip+ and run the benchmark again (my earbuds need more burn-in time, anyways). I'm hoping the seller didn't have the hidden reason of battery problems behind passing this unit on. That would really poof my fur...

Purrs --
--
Ocelot

Old 03-12-2011, 10:14 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Something seems up, as RB runtime on the Clip+ often exceeds 15 hours.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:25 PM

Help Most recent battery bench results better, but clock still off over time

Apparently the charge/discharge cycle I ran with the previous benchmark helped, because the bench I just ran had the battery shutting down after 14 hrs 41 min and ~3.3v. The bench .txt file also had an ending statement of "--Battery bench ended, reason: power off--", which was not at the end of the initial run's log. So, the battery appears okay, all things considered.

However, there still is something quirky with the clock. I currently have my Clip+ plugged in (using the same charger I use for my MiniDisc player; also the USB/mini USB cable, since it's longer) and running a pink noise .wav for earbud burn-in. Overnight, say about nine hours, the clock lost 20-30 minutes, and this is after I set it to the correct time before going to bed.

Now, I know this isn't a huge deal, probably few Clip+ users actually use the clock to track time, but I'm wondering if it's indicative of a more systemic problem. The fact that this latest time loss behavior was seen during the Clip+ being plugged in sort of rules out battery issues--there's certainly enough power available to keep accurate time. So, I'm not sure what's going on. Bottom line, I guess, is that it irks me--it shouldn't be happening.

At any rate, I'm still interested if any other Clip+ users with Rockbox 3.8 have seen this behavior. Maybe the clock is just ignored by most users. I'd think this would be noticed, however, if it was widespread.

TIA for any further feedback --
--
Ocelot

Old 03-15-2011, 02:22 PM

I have the same problem with the clock on my Clip+ and I found this thread when looking for a solution (didn't find anything else). It disturbs me because I use scrobbling to submit tracks to last.fm and when the date is reset to 2009, last.fm rejects submitted records. The clock also loses about 2 hours overnight but this does not bother me as much.

My Clip+ is refurbished but I don't consider it an excuse.