android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > SanDisk Sansa > Sansa View

Old 04-07-2011, 01:06 AM

Default HOW-TO Unbrick your Sansa View from Blue Ring of Death (Tango Digital Media Platform)

YES! It is finally done!! You can now UNBRICK the Sansa View using a port of e200tool I put together, called "viewtool".

Tested working on Windows 7 x64 and developed on Windows XP x86 (VMWare virtual machine with Cygwin).
By relation, it should also work on Windows 2000 / XP / Vista / 7 x86 and x64
(pretty much anything)
Includes all source code and a Makefile, so it should also work under Linux if you're really desperate. How's that for a flip, an originally-Linux application now gets the "works on Windows and maybe Linux" treatment?

Download here
Sansa View ViewTool and OneClickUnBrick v1.0.7z
And if you don't have something to extract a 7z file, go get a REAL archiving tool! 7z isn't an obscure format, you should have no trouble opening it
If your computer shows the 7z file as an "unknown file" (asks you how to open it), I suggest you remove whatever crap you have installed (winzip, or something "zip" I'm sure), and install something more modern... either 7-Zip (totally free but a pretty piss-poor user interface), or WinRAR (all the modern luxuries, just not free).

This also enables
  • running third party firmware in the same way as the e200 (let's start talking Rockbox, eh? I'll help however I can, but I really need to work with someone that reverse-engineered the e200 Flash access)
  • recovering from failed flashes or crashes
  • cleanly downgrading to an older firmware

Basically, here's what you do
  1. Download OneClickUnBrick and ViewTool v1.0.
  2. Extract to some folder, doesn't matter where, just not on a network (SMB) path.
  3. Plug in your bricked Sansa View.
  4. Apply the drivers under the "drivers" folder.
  5. Run One-Click UnBrick.cmd

Viewtool is a cleaned-up port of e200tool for the Sansa View. Not much has changed, but I removed a lot of excess baggage functions that don't work with the View: i2c doesn't exist (it seems), and as such, the device can't be powered off by the tool. It's basically memory I/O and "run" only. However, the memory dump and write functions are still there, and could really help someone looking to port Rockbox... I'll help however I can too!

Since the tool is very similar to e200tool, most of the functions are the same. However, it also detects if a View is already connected in "viewtool mode" (running the USB stub), and initializes automatically if needed. No more need for the "init" command, so that was removed. Run a dummy "lw" command if you _REALLY_ need to "init".

The One-Click UnBrick.cmd file walks you through the whole process of unbricking your View, and upgrading to the v1.3 firmware. If you need to swap out the firmware for a different version (e.g. for EU users), you can do so by adding that firmware to the appropriate folder. Just don't change the names OR base versions - that is, you can use v01.02.03a in place of v01.02.09a, but not v01.03.02a. v01.02.xx is required for function of the recovery process, as SanDisk screwed-up the recovery mode in later versions, and it can't write to Flash.

Thanks to MrH for the original e200tool code, the Rockbox group for the current status of work on the View (esp. the GSoC View project), and citanuL on the SanDisk forums for posting the missing piece of info about holding the UP key to initiate a Flash erase using the View bootloader. I spent days searching the disassembled code for that function! And thanks to saratoga on the abi forums for replying to my topic and keeping me inspired

edit 8/27/2011: Bitcoin is a great way to send thanks: 1hndQ4E6TmurfhuEzFhTZtwKejs9iTy3X - no amount is too small! Any amount goes toward paying the student loans that didn't teach me how to do this stuff

edit 10/29/2012: Oops! Someone informed me the Hostfile link is dead. I re-uploaded with my Dropbox - updated the link above.

edit 7/15/2013: Apparently I forgot to update the second Hostfile link as well. Derp. Sorry... half the people still probably clicked the broken link! [hides head in shame]

Last edited by FalconFour; 07-15-2013 at 11:33 PM. Reason: updated link

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-09-2011, 04:42 PM

Very nice! Maybe I'll finally get back into doing some of this stuff...

Old 04-09-2011, 04:49 PM

FalconFour I'm having trouble...

I'm an idiot so try to be patient with me.
When I run the unbrick tool it lists the requirements:

Requirements:

- Sansa View in Manufacturing Mode
- Driver for Tango Digital Media Platform to libusb installed
(see "Drivers" folder - may have to go to Device Manager to install)
- viewtool.exe with cygwin1.dll and cygusb0.dll in the same path
- Firmware version v01.02.09a in folder "1.2.09a"
- Firmware version v01.03.02a in folder "1.3.02a" (optional for upgrade)

I have no idea what that means - for example how do I go to the device manager to install the drivers for Tango Digital Media Platform?

Is there any way you can dumb this WAY down?
I really am that clueless.

Old 04-09-2011, 04:52 PM

JosephL, this might help you out a bit: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320929

Old 04-09-2011, 05:05 PM

Thanks Guymann but unfortunately those instructions really don't help.
For example they say:

Expand the category of the device that you want to configure. For example, expand Modems.

NOTE: The device may be listed under Other devices.

But I don't know what category I want and I don't have "Other Devices" in the device manager.

As I said - I'm really clueless

Old 04-10-2011, 04:05 AM

If you're not sure what it's referring to, most of it is for techie's reference... if you just extract the folder somewhere and click One-Click UnBrick, it'll walk you through the process and catch any problems it runs into (and provide the solution).

So if you're not sure how to use (or get to) Device Manager, if you get up to the part where it needs that driver loaded, it'll ask "Do you want to open Device Manager? (y/n)", and you just answer "y". It'll open Device Manager, which avoids a bit of work There, you just find your "Tango Media Platform" (which will be pretty visible with a big "!" by it), right click it, select "Update Driver", and during the wizard you will enter the location of the extracted "Drivers" folder (using Browse). It'll ask "Hey, this is unsigned!", you say "Yes, I know, shut up and do it!", and then you can go back to One-Click UnBrick and press a key (remember to go back and hold Up on the View like it says before you press a key!).

Hopefully this helps! And thanks for the replies... I was getting a little down after several days with no posts positive or negative :P

Old 04-10-2011, 08:08 AM

Firmwares here:
http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62320

Old 04-10-2011, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconFour View Post
If you're not sure what it's referring to, most of it is for techie's reference... if you just extract the folder somewhere and click One-Click UnBrick, it'll walk you through the process and catch any problems it runs into (and provide the solution).

So if you're not sure how to use (or get to) Device Manager, if you get up to the part where it needs that driver loaded, it'll ask "Do you want to open Device Manager? (y/n)", and you just answer "y". It'll open Device Manager, which avoids a bit of work There, you just find your "Tango Media Platform" (which will be pretty visible with a big "!" by it), right click it, select "Update Driver", and during the wizard you will enter the location of the extracted "Drivers" folder (using Browse). It'll ask "Hey, this is unsigned!", you say "Yes, I know, shut up and do it!", and then you can go back to One-Click UnBrick and press a key (remember to go back and hold Up on the View like it says before you press a key!).

Hopefully this helps! And thanks for the replies... I was getting a little down after several days with no posts positive or negative :P
You are not alone...like a famous song says.... It's about 4 days , the same day of your first post or the day after maybe, i follow your thread.. Last week i've buied a sansa view 32Gb for only 89 euros (and 10 of shipping)...a real bargain imho, and i was looking for a sansa view 32gb from ages....because now is discontinued i suppose.
I readen your tips but it's really more difficult that what seems to be. I have downloaded another libsub rar file from another website to install the Tango Digital media platform.. after a looong search over the net. Now, after i reboot in tango mode the one click program can't find my sansa view.
"Not found under USB\VID...07 ecc..." nor USb.(numbers).....dead!" You may need to install the drivers for the viewtool mode.

Maybe you can help us telling a step by step..making a video on youtube...
You have to disconnect the sansa to rejoin in Tango mode isn't it? the command line tips are not so clear...
Sorry for my english..i am italian.

Old 04-10-2011, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smdc1981 View Post
All necessary firmware is included in the unbrick archive here... BTW your list is missing v01.03.02a

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIX74 View Post
You are not alone...like a famous song says.... It's about 4 days , the same day of your first post or the day after maybe, i follow your thread.. Last week i've buied a sansa view 32Gb for only 89 euros (and 10 of shipping)...a real bargain imho, and i was looking for a sansa view 32gb from ages....because now is discontinued i suppose.
I readen your tips but it's really more difficult that what seems to be. I have downloaded another libsub rar file from another website to install the Tango Digital media platform.. after a looong search over the net. Now, after i reboot in tango mode the one click program can't find my sansa view.
"Not found under USB\VID...07 ecc..." nor USb.(numbers).....dead!" You may need to install the drivers for the viewtool mode.

Maybe you can help us telling a step by step..making a video on youtube...
You have to disconnect the sansa to rejoin in Tango mode isn't it? the command line tips are not so clear...
Sorry for my english..i am italian.
Don't download any other drivers! All the drivers that work with viewtool are included with the package... you just point it to the "DRIVERS" folder and it'll install. (You WILL have to do this twice - once before running Viewtool, and once DURING viewtool! Be sure to read the screen.) My View is now set up at work playing hold music 24/7, so I'll have to pull it down and brick it again to make a video... maybe someone else can take care of the video? It's really quite straightforward if people just look at what's provided in the package instead of trying to hack together stuff from other sources...

Old 04-10-2011, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconFour View Post
All necessary firmware is included in the unbrick archive here... BTW your list is missing v01.03.02a

Don't download any other drivers! All the drivers that work with viewtool are included with the package... you just point it to the "DRIVERS" folder and it'll install. (You WILL have to do this twice - once before running Viewtool, and once DURING viewtool! Be sure to read the screen.) My View is now set up at work playing hold music 24/7, so I'll have to pull it down and brick it again to make a video... maybe someone else can take care of the video? It's really quite straightforward if people just look at what's provided in the package instead of trying to hack together stuff from other sources...
Ok i'll follow your istructions..sorry!

Old 04-10-2011, 11:42 PM

Worked like charm!

Last edited by smdc1981; 04-11-2011 at 05:22 AM.

Old 04-15-2011, 04:57 PM

hi, i have a sansa view and....guess what? it's bricked....(blue ring of death )

can someone post the archive linked in the first post somewhere else? the link is not working for me

thanks guys!

Old 04-15-2011, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alley_cat View Post
hi, i have a sansa view and....guess what? it's bricked....(blue ring of death )

can someone post the archive linked in the first post somewhere else? the link is not working for me

thanks guys!
Ahh... I do need to set up some kind of notifier when my server decides to reboot or something. I need to manually start the HFS server when it reboots...

Link should work now.

Old 04-16-2011, 03:56 AM

thank you very much

My sansa is back to life! I owe you a pizza

Old 04-25-2011, 11:41 AM

very nice, very nice.
very very impressed. this might be a little long but i want to have my whole story out.

so i have probably an utterly bricked view, it was dropped quite badly but im not sure....

so when i try to turn my 8gb view on all i get is the blue ring...
i plugged in my view, installed tango drivers...
started your one click unbrick (OCU) cmd...

held the up button while running the OCU cmd.
my sansa displays sandisk, and in nice blue letters: erasing please wait...(was much surprised it even showed anything)
then it goes black as it should.

i then go to the next step all runs smoothly, finds the 16MB,
EDIT: in the pics posted, just before writing, yours says safe to disconnect. mine says LUN0 locked // LUN0 unlocked
sansa even pauses at each writing thing, but when it tries to restart or i try to turn it on its still only blue ring, so continuing is impossible... ? sansa is only tango when i plug it back in...

i noticed if i hold the center and up key while doing the erase step, then once the lights turn on, i change unlock, i can get to the point where the sansa is a sansa view on the computer. its connected to a computer, the computer can see the files on it etc. but if i unplug it, it freezes and restarts blue ring of death.

since its truely bricked im trying to run through once with the OCU cmd to where i can get to the installing new firmware step. Then start a new OCU cmd to get the sansa to fake connect, then install the new firmware etc. i will get back on that cause i have to change it to usb mass storage too. and restart is needed.

if anyone has any ideas please let me know.

Last edited by dejman; 04-25-2011 at 01:32 PM.

Old 06-21-2011, 12:40 PM

Please, there is any chance to see this sansa view and also Sansa fuze+ with a rockbox installed on it? How long...does it takes?

Old 08-16-2011, 05:19 PM

Default Not working for me.

This isn't working for me. Does the computer have to recognize the View in order for this solution to work? I'm asking this because when I plug the View in nothing happens, my computer doesn't seem to be recognizing the device. Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 08-27-2011, 06:23 AM

Yes, the computer will always recognize the View in some state (recovery, bootloader, or operational). You may have a bad cable, or... you may just have a hardware-damaged View

@dejman: The View has its Flash memory (which it also boots from) on a little add-on board inside the main unit. It's not screwed down to anything. Dropping your View won't erase its firmware like magic. You need to pop the case open (one screw at the bottom under a tiny sticker-cover, then it snaps apart around the edges), unscrew the LCD (and carefully detach it without touching the screen), unscrew the PCB, then check that the Flash board isn't detached. Press the connector area firmly (look at the board at an angle to see where the plug is), it should "click" into place. Feel free to disconnect-reconnect it to be sure. Then, reassemble it and you should have a working View again

edit: A pizza may be hard to send over the 'net, but I do take Bitcoin, for those savvy: 1hndQ4E6TmurfhuEzFhTZtwKejs9iTy3X - no amount is too small, I'm ecstatic to get even 0.01

Last edited by FalconFour; 08-27-2011 at 06:28 AM.

Old 09-11-2011, 10:56 PM

Will oneclick unbrick work on an e280 and if so will it delete all the content? Have been trying for days to transfer some speeches i recorded over an FM signal. Do not want to lose this info.
I can get my computer to "see" the Sansa by locking it and holding the center button but there is the error exclamation in control panel at the "Tango Digital Media". Explorer does not see the Sansa nor does the Firmware update. I do have the Blue ring as you described. I cannot see any files anywhere. Any help???
Thanks for any help

Old 09-11-2011, 11:06 PM

If your Sansa already does ANYTHING MORE than absolutely nothing when you turn it on (if it's "bricked" to need OneClickUnBrick, it'll do absolutely nothing but show you the blue ring), then don't use OneClickUnBrick.

This tool is used to unbrick, i.e. "Oh my god, I have a working Sansa again! I love you forever!", not to recover, i.e. "It sure would be nice if I hadn't've erased that!".

With the buttons you appear to be holding - that is, locking -> hold center button -> plug in - that's forcing it into Bricked mode (manufacturing mode). Key word: forcing it. If it was really bricked, you wouldn't have a choice anyway, it'd just be... there anyway. So right off the bat, you're doing something very wrong.

What does it do if you DON'T force it into bricked-mode? Just switch off the hold and power the damn thing on normally? It should start up, and you could just go to the settings, turn on USB-MSC (Mass Storage Controller) mode, plug it in, then run something like Recuva on the drive to find your missing files.

If you do ANYTHING involving this recovery method (OneClickUnBrick or otherwise), you'll lose EVERYTHING. It's designed to be a "wow, I got my MP3 player working again!" tool, not a "wow, I got my stuff back!" tool.