android
Old 03-14-2011, 05:00 AM

Default new to rockbox, problem with bookmark/resume

Hi folks,

I've only just installed rockbox on my Clip v2, and would like to give it a spin.

However, I have 2 problems:

1. I like Sandisk's way of resuming audiobooks (I listen to them a lot), and I saw that the latest Rockbox has some new support for that. However, I can't seem to get it to work.

I have 'resume' set up to auto resume only for /podcasts:/audiobooks. It resumes fine when I shut down while listening and hit 'resume', but not when I open a music file and then go back to the audiobook.

Or should I use a bookmark if I want this behaviour?

2. I can't get the database to update (it just stalls after a while, and the player times out, shuts down after a while, and when it starts up again there's no database)

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-14-2011, 02:34 PM

Problem 1 is calling for a bookmark, I think.

You're not alone with 2, a number of people have been reporting this, not to mention that my Clip did the same with 3.8. (I believe it might be related to the new album art support.) Dig out 3.7.1 for the time being. If that conflicts with problem 1, well, ...

Old 03-15-2011, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyb_gr View Post
Problem 1 is calling for a bookmark, I think.

You're not alone with 2, a number of people have been reporting this, not to mention that my Clip did the same with 3.8. (I believe it might be related to the new album art support.) Dig out 3.7.1 for the time being. If that conflicts with problem 1, well, ...
Looks like I got 2. to work by allowing it to create the db in background (can't remember how) and connecting a usb while it was doing this so the player didn't turn off...

Old 03-23-2011, 10:10 AM
Rockbox Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dryhte View Post
1. I like Sandisk's way of resuming audiobooks (I listen to them a lot), and I saw that the latest Rockbox has some new support for that. However, I can't seem to get it to work.

I have 'resume' set up to auto resume only for /podcasts:/audiobooks. It resumes fine when I shut down while listening and hit 'resume', but not when I open a music file and then go back to the audiobook.
Autoresume works by remembering a resume position for each track. If your audiobook comprises multiple tracks, autoresume does not (yet) remember in which track you were. You have to navigate to the last-played track manually, which will then be resumed mid-track.

Autoresume (for manually selected tracks) can only be enabled globally. The “resume on automatic track change” setting you've customized kicks in only on *automatic* track change: It determines whether the next track will be resumed as well. This typically makes sense only for podcasts, but not for audiobooks.

All of this is also explained in more depth in the manual (Sec. 8.7).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dryhte View Post
2. I can't get the database to update (it just stalls after a while, and the player times out, shuts down after a while, and when it starts up again there's no database)
Autoresume only works if the database has been initialized, so this explains why the feature doesn't work for you.

This problem could be an artifact of the broken SD driver in Rockbox 3.8. Please try a more recent build.

Old 03-24-2011, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideral View Post
This problem could be an artifact of the broken SD driver in Rockbox 3.8. Please try a more recent build.
This did the trick for me here, database generation in r29642 works fine.

Last edited by keyb_gr; 03-24-2011 at 03:51 PM.

Old 04-11-2011, 01:18 PM
Rockbox Developer

I wrote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sideral View Post
Autoresume works by remembering a resume position for each track. If your audiobook comprises multiple tracks, autoresume does not (yet) remember in which track you were. You have to navigate to the last-played track manually, which will then be resumed mid-track.
Update: I have started working on a feature to remember and highlight the last-played track for each album, which is intended to allow easy (bookmarkless) audiobook resume and works in conjunction with the autoresume feature. If you're interested, head over to http://www.rockbox.org/tracker/task/12054 to try the patch or leave a comment.

Tags
resume, rockbox, sandisk sansa clip v2