android
Old 04-19-2011, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga View Post
I just said above that you didn't need to do that. Just follow the directions in this thread or the manual. It takes like 60 seconds if you actually do what people are telling you
At that point, I didn't have either firmware working, so I decided to "reset" back to the last usable state.

I have followed the steps provided here in the forum, multiple times, but the result is never the one expected. The manual says the same thing you have all been saying:

2.5.1 Automatic Uninstallation
You can uninstall Rockbox automatically by using Rockbox Utility.
: I did just catch the RB note; "Note: If you use Rockbox Utility be aware that it cannot detect manually installed components." That explains the issue wit the utility uninstall.

2.5.2 Manual Uninstallation
Copy an unmodified original firmware to your player and update it.
If you wish to clean up your disk, you may also wish to delete the .rockbox directory and its contents. Turn the Sansa off. Turn the player back on and the original Sansa software will load.
-- Sansa fw does not come up after copying the OF.
This sounds as if I need to copy the OF file and reboot before I delete the .rockbox folder? I have not tried that, I copied and deleted before the reboot.

I did just notice that someone in the forum tell me to "hold |<<" when you reboot", I have been holding the power button to reset, I'll do another manual uninstall and try the "|<<". I'm also going to download the OF again, just to be certain.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-19-2011, 12:43 PM

There is no reason to hold "|<<" when you reboot if the fw is not patched, as that would only work to bypass rb if you left the .rockbox folder on there. Are you sure that you are using the correct fw for your model version?

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 04-19-2011, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
There is no reason to hold "|<<" when you reboot if the fw is not patched, as that would only work to bypass rb if you left the .rockbox folder on there. Are you sure that you are using the correct fw for your model version?
I'm using the same fw I downloaded from Sansa and used to install rockbox. I used the fw for Clip v1, I believe that is correct. I'm going to redownload just in case I accidentally overwrote the original with the rb modified file.

Old 04-19-2011, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diechipmunk View Post
I'm using the same fw I downloaded from Sansa and used to install rockbox. ...
I've never used the installer, so I'm guessing that it patched the firmware you downloaded. If you use a non-patched firmware and delete the .rockbox folder it will work fine.

Old 04-19-2011, 04:20 PM
Administrator

I was the one directed the OP to hold the |<< side of the wheel during the boot after adding the m300a.bin file to the root of the player. That was after testing several combinations to remove Rockbox and found that holding that combo while booting called the OF side of the dual boot and causes the update to occur.

There's easier ways to do it but I found this method provided the most clarity for a beginner I tested it with.
  1. Get a copy of the original firmware for the V1Clip from the Sansa site . The last and best was 01.01.35. Unzip it to a spot you will remember. The right one will have a m300a.bin file inside.
  2. In Windows Explorer look at the contents of the Clip. If there are any .rockbox or bin files of any type delete them. The Sansa firmware will rebuild any it needs during the update.
  3. Open two Windows Explorer windows. One containing My Computer so you can see all drive letters. The other containing the unzipped original firmware file m300a.bin.
  4. Drag the m300a.bin file directly to the drive letter that represents the Clip. After that's done open the drive in Windows Explorer and be certain that the m300a.bin is on the drive and not within any other folder.
  5. Safely disconnect the player and allow it to boot.You will see one of several possible error messages. Ignore them and turn off the player.
  6. Press and hold the |<< key. While holding that key boot the player. You should see the Updating Firmware message. You see that for 30 to 60 seconds then the player will turn itself off.
  7. After it turns itself off, reboot the player. Don't hold anything this time, just slide the power switch. It should be in the original firmware now.
The need for pressing a combination is because the Rockbox bootloader that's on there now will attempt to load Rockbox as the default. Pressing the |<< side of the wheel during the boot is what calls the OF side that is able to perform the update.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:39 AM

Success!

Quote:
2.5.2 Manual Uninstallation
This sounds as if I need to copy the OF file and reboot before I delete the .rockbox folder? I have not tried that, I copied and deleted before the reboot.
I moved the original FW back to the root, left the .rockbox folder and rebooted and it still loaded Rockbox, so I rebooted and held the "|<<" during you reboot. The Sansa fw loaded. I then deleted the .rockbox folder and I'm back to the Clip fw.

Thanks for all the help.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:47 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Success!
Nice to hear you finally got things set to your needs.

Pure curiosity question. I have a V1 Clip that still works very well but the battery life is way down from when it was new. What's the battery life on your's like now? I'm not looking for any exact measurements, just a general ballpark figure.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:01 AM

diechipmunk, Good to hear, wow that took long

@skip252 we have 3 v1 Clips still and they all get good battery life still. Maybe because we use and charge frequently, not sure. But they all get a good 6 to 8 hours if not a little more. If you want I can run a test with the one I mainly use, just let me know.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
Nice to hear you finally got things set to your needs.

Pure curiosity question. I have a V1 Clip that still works very well but the battery life is way down from when it was new. What's the battery life on your's like now? I'm not looking for any exact measurements, just a general ballpark figure.
I do think the battery life is down a bit, but it's hard to be sure. Since I got my Clip+, I only use the Clip v1 for workouts. I get a couple of weeks out of a charge, using it for several 30-60 minute sessions.

Old 04-21-2011, 02:27 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
If you want I can run a test with the one I mainly use, just let me know.
Thanks for the offer but there's really no need to bother. I'm still getting a good six hours in the OF. I get about 3-3 1/2 with Rockbox. I think I lost some life in the battery when I didn't check it for several months when I last stored it. It was flat when I pulled it out again and took along time on a wall charger to wake up again.

I was just curious as to how much I lost when I let that happen. It's still good for when I'm working around the house or doing runs in the neighborhood. That's all I really need.