android
Old 04-10-2011, 08:42 AM

Default Can you help me get a non-EU S-755?

I got an S-755 in the UK, fantastic little device and the usual great sound quality of a Sony but of course the volume is far, far too quiet because of the permanent EU volume cap.

This has made me just short of furious, and if I can't get a non-EU Walkman, I may give up on Sony completely. It's like having a Porsche with the speed capped at 50kph.

So, can anyone perhaps help me find an outlet for a white S-755 outside of the EU? Perhaps a retailer in the US or Australia that you know of, who will be able to ship abroad?

Maybe someone in a non-EU country would even be kind enough to find one for me in their own country and privately list it on ebay perhaps?

I really really want an S-755 but it's useless to me with the volume limit.

Many thanks in advance.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-10-2011, 11:51 AM

Sony Australia has them, but I don' know if they also have the same volume restrictions. They shouldn't, as the country isn't exactly near Europe.

But I think the price is a bit high, considering the current exchange rate.

Old 04-10-2011, 02:01 PM

Currently out of stock

I've seen them on ebay for 140 roughly, from South Korea. Bit dubious about that though to be honest.

Stupid EU crap! The one I have was only 64 brand new. Stupid stupid EU crap!

Old 04-10-2011, 03:02 PM

Well, I know that some of the stores here is Canada sell the S754 (the 8 GB model), but no one has the 16 GB one.

Would you like me to buy two of them, tape them together and ship it to you?

Old 04-11-2011, 06:50 AM

You could purchase it from http://www.accessoryjack.com/Categories.bok or http://hovanfue.com/ or ebay.

I purchased mine from Ebay UK, there are two sellers one based in Korea while the other one is based in Hong Kong. If you do decide to buy one from ebay, don't buy from Korea because they ship by EMS and you will end up paying 25 for customs like I did.

Purchase from the ebay based in HK as they ship by Fed EX.

Hope this helps,

Old 04-18-2011, 10:05 AM

have you actually heard the EU volume limited version..i can assure you its plenty loud.
Players:Iriver H340 rockboxed, sansa clip+ rockboxed,samsung R0, sony x1050 16gb, sony nwz hd5,samsung yh j70 (killer SQ)....Iems: Audio technica ckm500, Jvc HA S400,Beyerdynamic DTX501P ,Brainwavz HM5,V moda V80,Sony MDR1,Audio techinica CKM500

Old 04-18-2011, 10:46 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by goody1 View Post
have you actually heard the EU volume limited version..i can assure you its plenty loud.
That's appears to be the reason for the thread. Unless I'm reading the first sentence wrong they have heard it and it not loud enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuber View Post
I got an S-755 in the UK, fantastic little device and the usual great sound quality of a Sony but of course the volume is far, far too quiet because of the permanent EU volume cap.

Old 04-18-2011, 11:20 AM
Banned

Mine's loud enough with ok-ish iems.

Of course people will want to use headphones and the EU volume limitation is not good enough.

Old 04-18-2011, 12:07 PM
Administrator

I made myself deal with nothing but a Sansa set at the EU volume limit for a week. That was with ful size 32 ohm closed cans. I'd say that most of the time it was fine. I didn't know or care that it was volume limited.

But every once in a while I like to crank it up and just let it thump. Not much, just an occasional tune or 2 that call for it. There's some Taiko favorites in my collection that I've heard live. If I can't hear the big drum speak fully I'd prefer not to listen. That's when the limits bothered me.

Old 04-18-2011, 04:49 PM

I've listened to music pretty loud my whole life. I like punk rock mostly so it kinda has to be loud. I work in the aviation industry and get regular ear tests and still have very good hearing, so I know there's nothing wrong with my hearing and I know it isn't progressively worsening. I think the volume of one's music comes down to personal taste; I also like a lot of salt on my food which I think is analogous. Kind of

The volume of the S755 is too low with the cap. On my old S639F I'd have it turned up to around 22 or 23 with a pair of Creative EP630's and that was perfect. I'd consider splashing out on a 60 to 100 pair of buds if I thought they'd make a big difference but I'd rather spend that extra money getting a Walkman that wasn't hobbled in the volume department.

It looks like I might well hold off getting a Sony and have a look for something else. That's really sad and I mean that as a consumer who has previously been really impressed with Sony's products.

The S755 is a great little device but if the music coming out of it -it's purpose for existing- isn't up to scratch then I might as well have an iPod (looks great sounds rubbish).

Old 04-21-2011, 06:29 PM

I Replaced my S639F due to battery problems with an S755 and I must agree with Kuber.
The volume range of the S755 is way to low. From my pov general sound-dynamic is affected as well.

For example when using my Sennheiser PX200II with the S639F at level 17, EQ set to none, sound is clear and crispy. Using the S755 volume needs to be cranked up at least to 22-24 and sound is muffled, lacking treble.

S755 Sound gets considerably better when using a Beyerdynamic DTX101iE.
But who is willing to pay some additional 69.99 on top of what you already payed for your S755?!
And if using the Beyer with the S639F........ 8)))

Nevertheless, today I received a copy of the S755 Service-Manual and after a short overview I dare to say that we're screwed!
Someone finding the right button combination in test-mode is out of the question, because there is none.

Quote manual:
"Parameter Destination Setting (DEST): Not used for servicing "

Furthermore there is a section describing what to do after replacing the mother-board.

"Set destination code according to region, installing it into the EMMC board using the destination setting tool.
To obtain destination setting tool, contact service headquarters" 8/

Destination setting tool contains the various destination settings and is executed from a dos-window. So no fancy gui here.
Last step is to check in test-mode if the right destination was updated.
So basically volume-cap is just controlled by using what ever specified destination parameter

So if this tool is not becoming available anytime…we're screwed! Again!

I'll check the manual more thoroughly tomorrow. But I have little hope

The next problem will be what to buy next, there are virtually no players left with hardware-key-controls, who could compete or even be superior to my S639F. (or Iriver H120 with CF-Card )

For the time being it's NoMoreSonie for me

Maybe FiiOs first DAP X3, it has hardware-key-controls, is a possible option.
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/...oming-fiio-dap

Or maybe, still to come as well, Teclasts T59?
https://mp4nation.net/blog/2011/03/g...t51-and-x19hd/

Old 04-22-2011, 04:59 AM
Banned

I have good iems, so it just isn't an issue for me at all.

Strangely, my A845 is slightly louder than my S (both EU volume limited).

But there is no way (that I have seen) of changing either player via service menus so I can fully understand people's dissatisfaction when using other iems or something like PX100/200s.

My advice to those people would be try out the player in a shop with your own iems and music files (if possible), or import from without the EU.