android
Old 05-16-2011, 01:44 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Default Rumor: Microsoft to Buy Nokia

According to Engadget, that according to Eldar Murtazin, Microsoft is set to enter negotiation to buy the mobile division of Nokia starting next week.

However, many are quick to point out that Eldar Murtazin has been inaccurate in many of his reporting and that this rumor is most likely just an attention grabber.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-16-2011, 02:46 PM
Anythingbutiphone Moderator

It wouldn't surprise me, but then it also makes no sense. Nokia is a HUGE company, and even purchasing their mobile division would be expensive, even my MS's standards. Also, this would put MS into the business of making their own phones, something they expressly stated that they did not want to do. Remember the uproar of OEMs over Google making the Nexus One? When it became clear that Google wasn't making an entire line of phones across all carriers, the OEMs backed off. If MS made their own phones, it would alienate the OEMs who also want to make WP7-based phones.

I'm not putting any stock into it. It's not out of the realm of possibility, but I would be surprised if they did it.

Old 05-17-2011, 11:03 AM
Contributing Editor

I would like to see it happen. A Microsoft branded phone would be legit. They could even offer multiple handset choices the same way Nokia has always done. Having the Dell Venue Pro really shows me how annoying it is to have different companies make phones and slap on someone's software. Too many issues since launch. If they had Apple control over their phones, and blended that with Android style choices, that is simply the best of both worlds.

As far as Microsoft saying they wouldn't build their own phone, you never know until it happens. Facebook said the same thing, and now they have Facebook optimized phones. Apple said the same thing about the iPhone, and then came the iPhone. You never know until it happens.

Old 05-17-2011, 11:42 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasrhp View Post
I would like to see it happen. A Microsoft branded phone would be legit. They could even offer multiple handset choices the same way Nokia has always done. Having the Dell Venue Pro really shows me how annoying it is to have different companies make phones and slap on someone's software. Too many issues since launch. If they had Apple control over their phones, and blended that with Android style choices, that is simply the best of both worlds.

As far as Microsoft saying they wouldn't build their own phone, you never know until it happens. Facebook said the same thing, and now they have Facebook optimized phones. Apple said the same thing about the iPhone, and then came the iPhone. You never know until it happens.
True. It's just that if Microsoft is to buy Nokia, it means they are ready to alienate the other OEMs. But if it makes them successful like what they did with the Xbox, then more power to them. Also, Android is more of a priority over Windows Phone for other OEMs right now anyway.

Old 05-17-2011, 05:07 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Huh??? Where the hell have I been,...under a friggin' ROCKK??? I didn't hear about this till NOW!!!

Old 05-17-2011, 10:24 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Me neither, though I am undecided on the issue. As a devout Nokia fanboy for 17 years, I am loathe to see any kind of massive change like this.

Need to ponder this a bit to see where I stand...
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 05-17-2011, 11:08 PM

Well there is no denying that Nokia shares are going (historically speaking, this is not investment advice) cheap so maybe MS are being cunning devils. It's still only a rumor so far.

I find myself wondering what the point of this acquisition is... I mean for the nonexistent market share that WP7 has why would MS want to make that kind of an investment with all the downside it entails and risk alienating other OEMs? Is the world not showing enough interest in wp7? Nokia still has to not put a single wp7 device out to market and they are mostly in the cheapo handset market anyway.

I keep coming back to the question, why? When I try to connect the dots in my mind they spell out fail.

Old 05-18-2011, 09:31 AM
Anythingbutiphone Moderator

If this does occur, then there is no doubt in my mind that Stephen Elop was a placed mole. Ever since he took over, Nokia has been gravitating towards MS.

Old 05-18-2011, 03:01 PM

http://pocketnow.com/windows-phone/n...ts-mobile-unit

Looks like this rumour isn't true, a shame imo.

Old 05-18-2011, 04:52 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slitz View Post
http://pocketnow.com/windows-phone/n...ts-mobile-unit

Looks like this rumour isn't true, a shame imo.
Regardless of whether this rumor is true or not, aren't they going to deny the rumor anyway? Didn't Nokia denied that they were going to make WP7 phones when that rumor was popping up?

Old 05-25-2011, 09:06 PM

In related news, it looks like Nokia really are going to make a WP7 Nokia device.

http://mynokiablog.com/2011/05/25/no...ps-early-2012/

Old 06-03-2011, 11:14 PM
Windows Phone Moderator

It wont happen. Partnership is better for both - at least for next 2 years.

Old 06-03-2011, 11:49 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimran View Post
Regardless of whether this rumor is true or not, aren't they going to deny the rumor anyway? Didn't Nokia denied that they were going to make WP7 phones when that rumor was popping up?
They supposedly already did, according to the InformationWeek article in this post [still ain't had time to read/digest it yet...just going by the headline]:
http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63506
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies